Author Topic: Rooks Win Reset Despite ENY  (Read 8234 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Rooks Win Reset Despite ENY
« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2004, 02:55:11 PM »
Unless I am gravely mistaken the goal in question is to, more or less, even the fighting chances of all players so that as many players as possible can have fun in the game that they all pay for.

Now, making plane factories that can be destroyed to remove that plane type from the enemy does not accomplish this.  Quite the contrary, it worsens the situation as the country with high numbers will have a significantly easier time both destroying the lower number country's aircraft factories and resupplying their own aircraft factories.  The end result is that the outnumbered country(s) end up defending against La-7s and P-51Ds using Spit Is and C.202s.  The situation becomes more lopsided than had nothing been done.

Personally I've always liked the factory idea, but it does not work in the context of the MA.  The variant I had thought up was a neutral country that owned the factories and sold the the Bish/Knit/Rooks.  If the factory was destroyed all sides lost access to it.  However that does not work in conjunction with the ENY limiter.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2004, 02:57:42 PM »
Originally posted by Karnak
Unless I am gravely mistaken the goal in question is to, more or less, even the fighting chances of all players so that as many players as possible can have fun in the game that they all pay for.

Now, making plane factories that can be destroyed to remove that plane type from the enemy does not accomplish this.  Quite the contrary, it worsens the situation as the country with high numbers will have a significantly easier time both destroying the lower number country's aircraft factories and resupplying their own aircraft factories.  The end result is that the outnumbered country(s) end up defending against La-7s and P-51Ds using Spit Is and C.202s.  The situation becomes more lopsided than had nothing been done.

Personally I've always liked the factory idea, but it does not work in the context of the MA.  The variant I had thought up was a neutral country that owned the factories and sold the the Bish/Knit/Rooks.  If the factory was destroyed all sides lost access to it.  However that does not work in conjunction with the ENY limiter.

What if the lowest numbered countries' factories become immune to damage if they are outnumbered by X percent?

Zazen
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2004, 02:57:46 PM »
Originally posted by Zazen13
I've written more essays and research papers than any PhD. ;)
Zazen

Well hoss, I think ya topped all of that a few posts up. lmao
 I`m digging out my hip waders before I read another one of them loads. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2004, 02:59:22 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Well hoss, I think ya topped all of that a few posts up. lmao

No, doubt, I enjoy writing, I write short-stories and have written a few novels just for my own personal amusement.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 03:01:24 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #244 on: September 07, 2004, 03:01:32 PM »
with your own limited viewpoint that you fail to to see more gandiose and creative solutions to problems

Zazen: The ENY idea wasn't mine in the first place, just pointing this out to show you that there is no need to fret on me thinking my ideas are always the best.

But what I will never do is implement somthing that I belive will not work just to try it out. The things I'll try are things im not sure if they will work or not. Or the things that I'm fairly confiandent will work.

HiTech

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #245 on: September 07, 2004, 03:08:22 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Zazen: The ENY idea wasn't mine in the first place, just pointing this out to show you that there is no need to fret on me thinking my ideas are always the best.

But what I will never do is implement somthing that I belive will not work just to try it out. The things I'll try are things im not sure if they will work or not. Or the things that I'm fairly confiandent will work.

HiTech

That's great, I appreciate that. You, probably more than anyone, realise one deeply flawed design  change implimentation with profound ramifications on the dynamics of gameplay has the potential to be the death knell for this product. Your post puts my mind somewhat at ease that you, at the very least, are aware of the risks you are taking when making changes of this nature. I will defer to your good judgement, as I have always done for the future. Just please remain open-minded and continue to entertain possibilites that seek to enhance gameplay options rather than curtail them. That is practically the definition of 'growth' as it pertains to product development.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 03:13:18 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #246 on: September 07, 2004, 03:09:03 PM »
Originally posted by hitech
Or the things that I'm fairly confiandent will work.
HiTech

Yea, yea...like that avatar. It works. :D
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #247 on: September 07, 2004, 03:12:12 PM »
What if the lowest numbered countries' factories become immune to damage if they are outnumbered by X percent?

Zazen

I don't think this would work.  In the first place the outnumbered side has a highly difficult time launching successful strategic strikes.  This is true both due to the difficulty of pulling enough people off the front to fly the bombers and in getting those bombers through to the target against the heavy opposition.

In the second place once a country is down to it's last few fields it has no chance at all of launching such a strike and that is when it most needs to reduce the enemy fighter capability.

In the end I think it would be a bandaid that did nothing but allowed people to feel that there was an option that just wasn't being utilized by the underdog.  It wouldn't change anything done the way you describe.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #248 on: September 07, 2004, 03:14:58 PM »
I don't think this would work.  In the first place the outnumbered side has a highly difficult time launching successful strategic strikes.  This is true both due to the difficulty of pulling enough people off the front to fly the bombers and in getting those bombers through to the target against the heavy opposition.

In the second place once a country is down to it's last few fields it has no chance at all of launching such a strike and that is when it most needs to reduce the enemy fighter capability.

In the end I think it would be a bandaid that did nothing but allowed people to feel that there was an option that just wasn't being utilized by the underdog.  It wouldn't change anything done the way you describe.

What if the disabling 'strats' were also tied to individual zones or even particular fields (large airfields for instance) rather than being away from the front lines at some remote location deep within enemy territory? This would give bombers a very crucial and interesting role that would not necessitate 4 hours of flight time, time that could be spent on the front lines.

Think outside the box, don't just think of grafting AW's system into AH, get creative. There is a solution that can work, we must just work together to 'iron' it out.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 03:19:18 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #249 on: September 07, 2004, 03:27:52 PM »
Zazen,

I'm not trying to put out the fire, just pointing out issues.

I would very much like to see a core level change to gameplay, but I think it is a separate issue from the side balancer.  I don't think the two things can be rolled into one issue.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #250 on: September 07, 2004, 03:35:32 PM »
dammit, Karnak.  your signature gave me the hee-bee-jee-bee's.  :D :lol

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #251 on: September 07, 2004, 04:04:41 PM »
Zazen,

I'm not trying to put out the fire, just pointing out issues.

I would very much like to see a core level change to gameplay, but I think it is a separate issue from the side balancer.  I don't think the two things can be rolled into one issue.

Sure they can, I have about 15 ideas that would do just that. The only thing I don't know is how programing-time intensive they may be. I am growing weary of getting picked apart by thread vulchers however, so I will just contact HiTech directly with my ideas and see where that leads.

Zazen

Offline TBolt A-10

• Silver Member
      • http://www.picturehangar.com
« Reply #252 on: September 07, 2004, 04:16:23 PM »
Sure they can, I have about 15 ideas that would do just that. The only thing I don't know is how programing-time intensive they may be. I am growing weary of getting picked apart by thread vulchers however, so I will just contact HiTech directly with my ideas and see where that leads.

Zazen

If you censor the audience that may be affected by these ideas, though, your plans might just become another ENY fiasco.  I mean to say that our input would help.

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #253 on: September 07, 2004, 04:43:33 PM »
Originally posted by TBolt A-10
If you censor the audience that may be affected by these ideas, though, your plans might just become another ENY fiasco.  I mean to say that our input would help.

I will leave it up to HiTech to 'publicize' my ideas anonomously if he deems them worthy of public debate. I think alot of my ideas, concepts and thoughts are being attacked on the basis of me being the poster and not so much on the basis of the worth, value or substance of the posts themselves. Not by everyone mind you, just by a VERY VOCAL FEW who have 'personal' issues with me that have nothing whatsoever to do with whatever the actual topic of discussion is at hand.

I even contemplated making another BBS identity just for the purpose of forwarding ideas without having to contend with the 'anti-Zazen" bias. But, my particular writing style and mode of expression would be too easily recognizable. I agree that under normal circumstances public debate over potential gameplay development concepts is preferable. But, in my particular and unique case I believe the public forum is actually a detriment to my ideas  and the communities' well-being as a whole. I will be communicating my concepts to HiTech directly from this point forward and leave the decision of whether or not to bring  them to the public forum for further discussion up to him.

Zazen
« Last Edit: September 07, 2004, 04:59:59 PM by Zazen13 »

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #254 on: September 07, 2004, 04:49:12 PM »

TOD!