Author Topic: An observation.  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Tinpot

• Copper Member
An observation.
« on: December 06, 2004, 06:08:29 PM »
This is a requests section which would indicate that Hitech listen read and act. However I've seen loads of requests for realy good ideas that might realy evolve and shake up this game a bit. Inever seem to see any of them acted upon! Pity realy. Seems people are not listening to us after all.

Please feel free to change my mind. ( politely!)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
An observation.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:58:50 PM »
I made that observation a week or so ago and HT did respond.  He told me that he only responds to things he thinks are worthy of his time.  So now I don't bother much with participating in threads on how the game can be improved since if its not worth his time to respond its not worth my time for the feedback.  Strangely, he never responded to my ack perk bug thread but fixed the problem in the last patch.  I remain confused.:rolleyes:

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
An observation.
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:23:36 PM »
tinpot, much of what is posted is seen and read.  Like redrabbit I have also have posted a suggestion or concern, and later seen the issue addressed in game.  Ive also seen debates happen over game play issues, sometimes the issues being addressed in subsequent patches involve approaches under discussion, sometimes not.  That is enough feedback for me.

I have often found that even if HT doesnt respond directly to a thread, he is usually aware of the discussion if it involves game issues.  Considering the traffic here he cant be expected to constantly pit himself aginst players telling them why thier ideas are bad, or not pratical.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
An observation.
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 11:49:20 PM »
"Please feel free to change my mind. ( politely!)"

Why bother. probably 80% of the game as it stands now had player imput in the implementation. If you want to impact this game you have to trust the developers to implement what is feasable from a ballance stand point(many many many sugestions on this board dont consider that) and you have to understand the delivery schedule that such a small team on a big program  have to work with.
HT is still dilligently trying to include things that occured to him 3 years ago.

Doenst sound like your patient enough to enjoy the evolution of the game.

Offline seabat

• Copper Member
An observation.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 09:08:24 AM »
Here are some requests that I have seen implemented.

change in buff bomb sight

skins

maps

buff formations

addition of the ki-84

side balancing

removal of night

shortening of the fps information when cntrl I

adjustments to various plane FM

any of the bug notices

ability to destroy ack on ships

Not all of the above are universally considered good things but I believe that they were requests from the players.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: An observation.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2004, 09:46:08 AM »
Originally posted by Tinpot
If you land within the airfield perimeter you should be considered to have landed successfully. If you put it down on water you have ditched. If you land on dry land but outside base you have made a forced landing and if you land wheels up outside the base and crack up your plane you have crash landed.

The current system is a load of rubbish. Its a nonsense.

Please listen HTC

Ok ill respond politly even thow you don't seem to know what the word meens.

Here is an idea I totaly disagree with. Landing an airplane for a new user on a runway is a challenge. This creates a feeling of accomplishment when it is completed successfuly. If you lower the landing standards ( and thats all you are realy asking for) it lessons the great feeling that can be had. When you are comming in on a totaly beet up airplane and acctualy do put it on the marks it is a great feeling. I rember 1 b17 mission I had, no elev, no ailarons 2 engs left, And I mangaged to successifuly land that bird on the runnway. I rember that landing today because it was hard to accomplish, if I could have put it anywhere on the field, it would have been no big deal.

As to any realisim argument, I don't seem to rember any tracking by the military of each pilots # of deaths, VS number of kills, ditches captures and such. There are aspects of AH wich realy can not be compared to real life, scoreing is one of them. And that is realy all you are asking to change.

Finaly as to not responding.

Im not sure how long you have been playing, but this topic has been disscussed many times, in AH and in my previous game. Ive been creating online sims for over 10 years,been playing them for 15, and lots of request made I have seen before. So am I suppose to rehash the same topics over and over each time they come up?

Most player request are made from a very microscopic view point of a player. They wish to have somthing changed to meet there specific needs. This isn't a bad thing, because it lets me see the game threw many different eyes. But small changes can have lots of consiquences the requester never considered. That consideration is what I do. Look at AH from an over all game impact point, and not just from a small view point.

HiTech

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
An observation.
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 10:45:50 AM »
I have seen a lot of requests that made it to the game in one way or another, most stuff has its reason. Big and deep changes to the gameplay demand a lot of work and wont come in a month or two but rather in version 3.0 or 4.0 of ah, maybe never.

As much as i want to see a change in strat gameplay i see that it is verry much work and will need new maps as well as a changed editor, stuff that causes eaven more work.

But, since for TOD a diffrent kind of editor is necessary anyway and changes in the whole server code it would be easier to work in other ideas there too and i am sure HiTech has ideas there and takes the stuff written here into account.

Eny limiter, no night, bomber formations, bomb sight, bigger towns, min fuel 75% and tons of other stuff were made because players complained about a problem.

ciao schutt

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
An observation.
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 10:51:27 AM »
"Ok ill respond politly even thow you don't seem to know what the word meens. "

Ya, trash talk people for trying to help out...   that will encourage them to stay with the game and help you improve it.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
An observation.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2004, 10:55:37 AM »
Rabbidrabbit: When people call parts of AH nonsense and rubbish, would you call that being polite?

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
An observation.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2004, 11:08:14 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Rabbidrabbit: When people call parts of AH nonsense and rubbish, would you call that being polite?

This is what I see for his post:
 An observation.

This is a requests section which would indicate that Hitech listen read and act. However I've seen loads of requests for realy good ideas that might realy evolve and shake up this game a bit. Inever seem to see any of them acted upon! Pity realy. Seems people are not listening to us after all.

Where is the part you are talking about?  Has it been edited?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
An observation.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2004, 11:46:16 AM »
Rabbidrabit:  The quote I put in from the airfields landing thread.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Re: Re: An observation.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2004, 11:52:29 AM »
Originally posted by hitech

Finaly as to not responding.

Im not sure how long you have been playing, but this topic has been disscussed many times, in AH and in my previous game. Ive been creating online sims for over 10 years,been playing them for 15, and lots of request made I have seen before. So am I suppose to rehash the same topics over and over each time they come up?

Most player request are made from a very microscopic view point of a player. They wish to have somthing changed to meet there specific needs. This isn't a bad thing, because it lets me see the game threw many different eyes. But small changes can have lots of consiquences the requester never considered. That consideration is what I do. Look at AH from an over all game impact point, and not just from a small view point.

HiTech

That is actually a damn good post.  You should probably make it a sticky or something.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
An observation.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2004, 12:20:21 PM »
Let me turn this around RR.

Would you let me make suggestions to something you controled if those suggestions could possible cut your montly income in half?

Every change made in Aces High directly effects how HT & AH survives financially.

As a result he HAS to be a bit conservative about implementing most suggestions.

If he wasn't we wouldn't be here now.

Last, HT since I know your reading this thread. I wanted to take this chance to admit "I was wrong".

When I first started AH I was convinced that going to larger maps would solve many of the problems we were experienceing.

Well now we have the player base, & the larger maps & I'm wishing we were back on the small ones.

You were right, I was wrong.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Re: An observation.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2004, 02:12:55 PM »
Originally posted by Tinpot

Convinced he listens now?

And ahhh.....RR........he wasna talkin to you man.  And while your first post wasnt really aggressive,
I made that observation a week or so ago and HT did respond. He told me that he only responds to things he thinks are worthy of his time. So now I don't bother much with participating in threads on how the game can be improved since if its not worth his time to respond its not worth my time for the feedback. Strangely, he never responded to my ack perk bug thread but fixed the problem in the last patch. I remain confused.

it seems you were just waiting for something to put you into that mode, as your next post got a little bit of a nasty note.
Ya, trash talk people for trying to help out... that will encourage them to stay with the game and help you improve it.

Again, just to make sure you got it, he wasnt talking to you.  He was talking to a poster who WAS rude and "trash talking".  If nothing else, I'd call your tone "confrontational" throughout.  Looks to me like you were just trying to goad HT into a response on this so you could openly attack him and make you feel better about yourself.  Either that or you take things WAY too personally.  Just because they dont respond to every request in every thread doesnt mean no one listens.  And just because you or a handful of others thought something was a good idea, doesnt mean HT thought it was.  Start your own game company, and guess what?  You get to make your own decisions.  

Heck, Pyro's recent "news" post talking about what will be in the next version is a nice gesture on their part, and a clear indicator that they are working on things people have requested.  I dont know where you picked up the burr in your tail, but blaming HT for it wont make it go away.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
An observation.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2004, 02:49:15 PM »
well, its good to know about the airfield landing thing, now ill just ditch in the water and get a ditch rather than fly for that extra 10 minutes to hit the runway and spin off.  it all counts the same.  thanks for the reply.
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++