Author Topic: your favorite quote  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Jnuk

• Copper Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2004, 08:49:13 PM »
in response the the question "what is best in life?" -

"To crush your enemies! To see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of the women."
-conan the barbarian

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
your favorite quote
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2004, 09:32:19 PM »
Have to love "Pattonisms"

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isnt thinking"

"Untutored courage is useless in the face of educated bullets. "

"A piece of spaghetti or a military unit can only be led from the front end."

"Americans play to win at all times. I wouldn't give a hoot and hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor ever lose a war. "

"Better to fight for something than live for nothing."

"I don't measure a man's success by how high he climbs but how high he bounces when he hits bottom. "

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived. "

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "

And finally, my favorite two quotes by George Patton.............

"I do not fear failure. I only fear the "slowing up" of the engine inside of me which is pounding, saying, "Keep going, someone must be on top, why not you?"

"Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood. "

All of these are quotes I keep on my walls in my office at home.

I also have these from Douglas MacArthur

"You are remembered for the rules you break"

"We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction"

"They died hard, those savage men - like wounded wolves at bay. They were filthy, and they were lousy, and they stunk. And I loved them. "

"There is no security on this earth; there is only opportunity"

"Part of the American dream is to live long and die young. Only those Americans who are willing to die for their country are fit to live. "

"No man is enitled to the blessings of freedom unless he be vigilant in its preservation. "

"I am concerned for the security of our great Nation; not so much because of any threat from without, but because of the insidious forces working from within. "

"Last, but by no means least, courage-moral courage, the courage of one's convictions, the courage to see things through. The world is in a constant conspiracy against the brave."

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2004, 09:43:05 PM »
"Why commit suicide to get rid of your problems, when you could just as easily kill someone you hate and get rid of their problems too???"

"Its only funny until someone gets hurt.
Then its hillarious"
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Bluedog

• Silver Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2004, 10:25:12 PM »
Originally posted by Nuke33
The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.
- Eden Phillpotts

Don't happen to play X2-The threat do you Nuke?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
your favorite quote
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2004, 11:46:04 PM »
Jake Blues-

No I didnt.
You know I love ya honey
Honest.
I ran out of gas.
I had a flat tire.
I didnt have enough money for cab fare.
My tux didnt come back from the cleaners.
An old friend came in from out of town.
Someone stole my car.
There was an earthquake.
A terrible flood.
Locusts.
It's not my fault.
I swear to God, it's not my fault.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2004, 03:01:17 AM »
I don't think the Miami Police would take kindly to what you're doing Goldfinger.  Nod your head if you agree.  Now start losing Goldfinger, let's say $10,000, no make that $15,000.  That should keep him busy for quite some time.

Offline sullie363

• Nickel Member
      • Birds of Prey
your favorite quote
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2004, 04:39:28 AM »
"Sometimes the majority just means all the idiots are on the same side."
  --  Author Unknown
Birds of Prey Raptors
Birds of Prey Film Making Team
Birds of Prey Trainer Corps

<S> PaulB

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2004, 11:42:59 AM »
"Just because something isn't true is no reason you can't believe in it.  Sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things that a man needs to believe in most.  That people are basically good;  that honor, courage, and virtue mean everything;  that power and money mean nothing;  that good always triumphs over evil;  that true love never dies.  It doesn't matter if it's true or not, a man should believe in those things, because those are the things worth believing in."

-Hub McCann
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2004, 12:10:14 PM »
Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
Have to love "Pattonisms"

Speaking of Pattonisms

"Take this 5 gallon gasoline can to Montgomery with this message" Although I am sadly short of gasoline myself, I know your admiration our equipment and supplies and I can spare you this 5 gallons. It will be more then enough to take you as far as you probably will advance in the next two days""
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2004, 12:19:49 PM »
"Use the Piat!"

Offline tapakeg

• Nickel Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2004, 01:24:22 PM »
I can't believe this made it to the second page

"Kilgore: I love the smell of napalm in the morning, you know one time we had a hill bomb, 12 hours. When it was all over I walked up, we didn't find one of them, not one stinking dink body. Smell, that gasoline smell, smells like.....Victory."

and when he walks away,

"You know someday this war is going to end."
You know that your landing gear is up and locked when it takes full power to taxi to the terminal

Offline Flit

• Silver Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2004, 01:32:34 PM »
"Don't raise your hands to children - it exposes your groin"
Unknown

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2004, 02:30:53 PM »
The news about George Carlin got me thinking, the man has said so many funny things, there has to be something worth quoting there...........

"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. "

"Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck"

"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy."

"Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy. "

:rofl

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2004, 02:46:54 PM »
"There ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Manny, The Moon is a harsh mistress.

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
your favorite quote
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2004, 02:48:10 PM »
And finally this one.  Its a little long for a "quote".  I keep it on my corkboard at work so that when I start putting in 80 hour weeks and thinking its my job just because I said I'd take the position I have, I can remind myself there is more to life than making a living.  Although if I had to pick one thing to make a quote of, it would be the last part.

The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness.

We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life.

We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less.

These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete.

Remember, spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember, to say, "I love you" to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all, mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again.

Give time to love, give time to speak, and give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind. Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.