Author Topic: Question to Finns  (Read 24987 times)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 05:38:05 PM »
Originally posted by Staga
LOL !  WHere have you learned that one? It's pretty good !

Hypää kaivoon
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
Question to Finns
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2005, 06:51:21 PM »
Missing a consonant; it should read "hyppää kaivoon".

btw I found your source and same typo is there too so it's not your fault. Nice site anyways; very colourful language over there :)

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2005, 07:42:09 PM »
Yeah, we've been teaching Furball some Finnish at the CT... He's quite fluent with the swearosaurus-words and perkele. :D

Boroda, I think that most of the  "non-Finnish people" lived through the Finnish occupation - considerably more than survived the Stalin purgations in the following years? I don't doubt that Finns had "concentration camps" but I still don't see genocide or random executions happening... Sorry, I don't just believe what you believe. But each to his own, I suppose... :)

Plus the Wikipedia link I gave earlier had the reasons Finland entered the "Continuation War" listed pretty thoroughly from the Finnish point of view.
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2005, 08:07:48 PM »
I think it would be nice to drink with Boroda but I don't give much credit for his "researches".
Funny thing is Finland treated better its PoWs than Russians did when they returned...

Stalin did not appreciate returning prisoners of war. A total of some 5,5 million were recovered after the war. Thousands were massacred on arrival, while the overwhelming majority of the remainder disappeared and died in forced-labour camps. Stalin felt that anyone who had been outside the Soviet Union was a potential counter-revolutionary. The NKVD collected "enemies of the people" (including minorities) and sent them, untrained and frequently unarmed, to the battlefield.

Sounds like a good place to live :)

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2005, 08:11:09 PM »
btw I kinda agree with Boroda; I believe most of the Russian PoWs Finns captured in WW2 died in custody.

After they were returned to Russia.

Offline Siaf__csf

• Gold Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2005, 02:49:21 AM »
Maybe Boroda has a relative that 'disappeared' mysteriously during the war and he's been fed with crock and bull about the nasty finns.

No wonder soviet union lasted so long.. Lies carry a long way. Just look at North Korea today.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2005, 02:57:54 AM »
kinda off subject but today my wife made a funny:
"is his name really Putin......like somone trying to fart or poop?"

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2005, 02:59:49 AM »
perkele!!!
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2005, 03:40:19 AM »
Well there's another error; "Perkele" wasn't a "Devil" like in bible but he was the ancient God of the skies, rain and lightnings, higher than "Tapio" the god of the forests, "Ahti" the god of the water and "Ilmari" the god of wind.

So actually word "Perkele" isn't a cuss word at all; it's just that so few people know this in Finland.

storch

Question to Finns
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2005, 06:32:44 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
I still want to know why the Finns attacked the Russians.

I like anyone who attacks russians.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2005, 07:58:42 AM »
Originally posted by storch

did you agree with what happened in Beslan?
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2005, 10:59:41 AM »
Staga, that is just so mean.

Stalin did not kill any returning POWs. They were welcomed home with feasts, given huge houses to call their own in lovely residential areas. Each and every one of them.

That's how it really happened. Ask Boroda, he'll tell you.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2005, 11:18:22 AM »
Originally posted by Staga
Well there's another error; "Perkele" wasn't a "Devil" like in bible but he was the ancient God of the skies, rain and lightnings, higher than "Tapio" the god of the forests, "Ahti" the god of the water and "Ilmari" the god of wind.

So actually word "Perkele" isn't a cuss word at all; it's just that so few people know this in Finland.

Interesting. Old Russian pagan god of skies, rain and lightnings is Perun. Russian cuss words are mostly Slavonic and sometimes Tatar, and old pagan mythology isn't used in any form, but I may be mistaken.

It's funny, but many Russian toponyms are from Finnish group of languages, including Moskva ;)

Offline spitfiremkv

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2005, 11:28:07 AM »
Originally posted by storch

I like you already Storch. Since you post on this board, chances are you're a close-minded neocon, but I still like you cause your post saved me the trouble of posting the same thing myself :)

Offline Boroda

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Question to Finns
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2005, 11:28:20 AM »
Originally posted by Toad
Staga, that is just so mean.

Stalin did not kill any returning POWs. They were welcomed home with feasts, given huge houses to call their own in lovely residential areas. Each and every one of them.

That's how it really happened. Ask Boroda, he'll tell you.

Toad, you are almost right. Statistics on returned POWs is availible now. Less then 3% of privates and sergeants who came back after being POWs during WWII were sentenced, mostly for confirmed cooperation with enemy. Sorry, I am not ready to provide exact percentage for ex-POWs, lost many stuff after HDD crash :(

BTW, only after WWII the death penalty was restored in USSR, only for several years.

It's amazing how Western propaganda fairy-tales contradict with what really happened :(