Author Topic: How's he do it?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2005, 11:53:34 AM »

See what you want to see in it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2005, 01:03:09 PM »
I watched the film and I dont think you could slide a plane into second base like that in real life, but this not real life.  I dont take anything away from Levi tho, I know he's an incredible stick! I wish planes did have reverse tho, you could shove it into reverse at 300 and get crazy reversals:cool:

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline wetrat

• Gold Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2005, 01:34:42 PM »
Originally posted by g00b
So is it realistic? Could a real MKV perform like that?

g00b
It doesn't really matter if a real MkV could perform that way... noone would try. In AH, the MkV is one of the best planes. In the actual war, the MkV was outclassed nearly the entire time it was in service. It wasn't until the IX's came in to widespread use that Spits were a formidable opponent for 109's & FW's. The vast majority of dogfights didn't last long enough to try to move an MkV like that, and odds are if someone did try, he'd get shot to hell by his original attacker's wingman. The LW loved their "boxing" ;)
Army of Muppets

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2005, 02:21:33 PM »
Maybe I am missing somehting,

the MkV was outclassed nearly the entire time it was in service.

1)  Wetrat what are you basing your info on?  Do you have some examples or evidence or places for reference?

2)  In what form  of fighting?  I.e. Boom and Zoom, Turn Fighting?

The vast majority of dogfights didn't last long enough to try to move an MkV like that,

Levs move seems to be about 5 seconds.  Are you trying to say dogfights didn't last longer than 5 seconds.

As for Levs move, it looks to me like inertia in motion, much like a lumchovok or the like.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2005, 03:17:36 PM »
Our MkV's boost puts it in the roughly the same class as the MkIX (in AH).  This change happened in the AH1 > AH2 conversion.  I don't think a majority of MkV's had this extra boost.  Outside of the power output department, I am clueless with the spit.  So don't take my word for it :)
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2005, 03:43:28 PM »
Ahhh the misconception of knowledge and implementing of ACM and SA. You can think it, talk about it and swear by it all you want, unless you actually learn to apply it means nothing.

I’m sure this sermon has run it’s course, but here goes it anyway, I’m bored.

IMO,…
One thing you have to understand about Lev, AH is NOT his first BBQ. Long before AH came along he's been handing people their ars, consistently, including AW. He’s still flown AW more then he’s flown AH, if that bench marks anything.

There is no mystery to his flying ability. He's in tune with things that make it all work as one. Constant SA and years of learning which ACM to use against which situation until it's second nature, on top place knowing all limits of the AC you fly, and never cross them.

“Legendary Gunfighters”, which is what Lev is, are always scrutinized, studied and challenged. There's always someone who wants that thrown, it's an intense ego thing for some. People who constantly challenge and lose will call him a cheater, a sucky pilot, "he's not all that good" excuse after excuse as to why they lost. Every excuse, expect the right two combined.

1) Lev has been around in flight sims a long time, he's no newbie who games the game, and he chooses one of the best planes to do it in. (Gee, what a concept) He's someone you want to learn from. he knows his plane well.

2) Any fight you lose you lose at you're own fault, for allowing the enema a clean shot. Their selection of ACM for the situation was wrong, and most likely their choice of plane to fly doesn’t fit their piloting style or the ACM needed to over come situation

IMO the difference also comes between a gamer and a simmer. Who’s being the gamer and who’s being the simmer? My bets are on Lev being the simmer.

There's nothing mysterious about Lev's reversals, he's just damn good at them in a plane that will allow them to happen, throw in second nature ACM and you’re there.

Next to the P-51, the Spit ( I assume Lev is still flying the spit) are one of the best planes to use in a dogfight. The ego thing where as "I refuse to fly a spit or 51" is over rated. They are the best planes. Why someone would call fowl when they take a sub standard dogfighting plane and use it in a knife fight with the superior dogfighting plane, then wonder why they lost, is totally beyond me. Some planes were not made for dogfighting, yet you have people trying to be super natural *god like* and make it happen *against odds. Then mystified when a plane that IS designed for dogfighting hands them their ars. The concept that “I’m going to turn my FW into a Spit killing machine,…” is a fallacy, and a pipe dream. But some feel it will make them god like if they do, which is true, but you have a long climb to make that happen. Choose your fights wisely.

Why on earth would someone flying a eg…FW consciously choose a fight with a Spit, P-51, P-38? He's hoping the pilot sucks, because the plane sure doesn’t..

The odds are with Lev and he uses them. Study what he does, as you are here, he’s not a god, he’s just damn good.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2005, 04:29:39 PM »
Lol... is it possible to condense that novelette into....  "It is the plane, not the pilot"?

Offline FT_Animal

• Nickel Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2005, 06:02:38 PM »
Originally posted by Urchin
Lol... is it possible to condense that novelette into....  "It is the plane, not the pilot"?

I'm always long winded, but,.. No, because "It is the plane, not the pilot" is incorrect.

If it's just the plane then you're only at 50% of the equation.

The plane doesn't act on its own, it only provides certain possibilites. It takes the pilot to know what they are, when to use them, and how to make the plane perform them.

It's the combination of plane and pilot, and why. And when they both fit you have people like Lev, and others, at 100% of what is possible.

Pilots who live by the "it's the plane"  *or*  "it's the pilot" mentality, IMO, are missing the point. IMO, plane and pilot should be like hand and glove.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
How's he do it?
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2005, 08:19:21 PM »
I've been watching this thread and it amazes me that no one's clued in that Levi is a shades account for Drex.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
How's he do it?
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2005, 08:20:08 PM »
By the way Drex sucks

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
How's he do it?
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2005, 09:27:09 PM »
It's funny how some of the vets in this game find this unusual,  whilst the other ramble in amazement..