Author Topic: !#$% at the Pump  (Read 3366 times)

Offline bunch

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://hitechcreations.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=17
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2005, 01:54:57 AM »
I get 100LL for only $2.92 (self serve)...its odd here, auto gas is up about $0.30 in the last few weeks, but 100LL is only up $0.07...also odd, I can fuel my plane, but not my car...same in NJ? no self serve auto,  but self serve aircraft is OK?...I see it is so at Trenton

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2005, 02:10:10 AM »
Originally posted by Sundowner
Son, do you think I would be fool enough to put my wife and kids in a 40mpg, tin foil death trap?
Regards,
Sun [/B]

Do you really think your antique car (it may be this years model but technic is from eighties) gives better protection than, say, a BMW 530D?

BMW 530D
218hp/500 Nm
0-100kmh 7,1sec, top speed 245kmh.
Consumes 6,9liters of diesel in 100km.

For you Amurricans that's
218hp/370lbft
0-62mph 7,1sec, top speed 152mph
34miles per gallon

I like old American cars; member of our club is having a '80 Park Avenue with +400hp 455cid (from Lindman Racing) but even with all that iron around I'd rather crash in my Peugeot 307 with 6 airbags and hi-tension steel frame and other safety cadgets.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2005, 02:34:40 AM »
Well its kinda strange. My homebase on the east coast is $3.51 at KBDR, and $4.07 for Jet A without Prist. On the west coast i'm just over $3.00 at KRHV and a little less for Jet A.

We've got some stations in the bay area that are over $3.00 a gal for 87/91

Go figure.

Wolfala

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Sixpence

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.onpoi.net/ah/index.php
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2005, 03:12:33 AM »
"My grandaddy always told me, "There are three things that'll put a good man down: Losin' a good woman, eatin' bad possum, or eatin' good possum."" - Holden McGroin

(and I still say he wasn't trying to spell possum!)

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2005, 03:38:02 AM »
Jackal1 are you realy that foolish that you want to be beholden to Arab oil producing nations, poisoning the atmosphere, and paying a fortune in taxes for ever and ever amen?

If the money and time spent on developing oil burning technology was put into the alternatives we'd have fuel cell vehicles with thousands of miles range. I'm pretty sure of that. Why hasn't it happened? because Oil barons company execs have a vested interest in us buying their product lining their already too fat pockets and we are too bloody enslaved to oil to be able to do anything about it. Apart from maybe those clever guys working on fuel cells with a fraction of the resources that Oil companies seem to have.

Besides its not my fault you live in a ridiculously underpopulated country that is way too big for your needs! 100 mile range is ok for a commuter bike here. And if you read the article range can be increased by adding more cells.;)

Offline Goth

• Nickel Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2005, 05:57:06 AM »
Skydancer...were I to ride one of those cutesy bikes around here to work, several things would happen.

a.) I would be laughed at horribly.
b.) I would get run over by grandma in her SUV.

Neither prospect seems all that enticing. Rode a bike years ago, but traffic here in town has grown exponetially, and I'm just not getting on the road in a death trap. So I'll keep my car which gets me about 19 mpg in the city and suck up the fact that I will be paying more of my paycheck out just to get to work.

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2005, 06:03:33 AM »
That "cutsey bike" is just a test bed. Cmon guys don't tell me you think that is the be all and end all of fuel cell power! Its the begining. A bit like comparing

to

(radical chopper custom thing  for you yanks;)

Its the begining of something. Now what if your SUV was powered by a fuel cell that could also power a boat a plane, your generator, making power for the house, etc etc.

You can make 100hp fuel cells not much bigger than the one in that bike! 100hp is enough for a motorcycle to do 150mph or so. SoI'm pretty sure that a bigger cell with 200hp or whatever will give plenty of oomph for four wheels.

I'm not saying its practical at the mo just that it is the future I'd like to see come sooner rather than later.

Much better than paying huge tax and poluting the bloody world huh?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 06:06:42 AM by Skydancer »

Offline Bee

• Zinc Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2005, 06:24:03 AM »
So right staga... some people realy don't have a clue.

Safety has far less to do with mass and size than people think. Both in active (brake distance, etc) and passive safety (rigidity of frame, airbags, crunchzones, etc).

Paying at the moment 6,7$ (5 €) per gallon.

Originally posted by Staga
Do you really think your antique car (it may be this years model but technic is from eighties) gives better protection than, say, a BMW 530D?

BMW 530D
218hp/500 Nm
0-100kmh 7,1sec, top speed 245kmh.
Consumes 6,9liters of diesel in 100km.

For you Amurricans that's
218hp/370lbft
0-62mph 7,1sec, top speed 152mph
34miles per gallon

I like old American cars; member of our club is having a '80 Park Avenue with +400hp 455cid (from Lindman Racing) but even with all that iron around I'd rather crash in my Peugeot 307 with 6 airbags and hi-tension steel frame and other safety cadgets.

Offline Momus--

• Nickel Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2005, 06:32:08 AM »
Strange that as a nation that ostensibly takes pride in its efficiency and productivity, the US has seemingly so far failed to embrace fuel efficiency in automobiles.

Time to join the 21st century guys. :p

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2005, 06:45:43 AM »
:lol

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2005, 07:18:36 AM »
Originally posted by bunch
I get 100LL for only $2.92 (self serve)...its odd here, auto gas is up about $0.30 in the last few weeks, but 100LL is only up $0.07...also odd, I can fuel my plane, but not my car...same in NJ? no self serve auto,  but self serve aircraft is OK?...I see it is so at Trenton

Wish I could answer but Im not a pilot so I dont know if self serve is ok for aircraft.

Gas around here ranges from about $1.89-$2.00 depending on where you go.
Couple of weeks ago I got it for $1.59.

LOL No Self serve gas stations in New Jersey.
But that doesnt bother me.
why would anyone WANT to have to pump their own gas?
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2005, 07:21:08 AM »
Originally posted by Staga

Yes but if one were to crash into the other I'd rather be in the tank:)
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2005, 07:30:41 AM »
Simple answer don't crash and you'll be fine!

Oh and what about the poor fuggers who get run over by your tank when you do?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2005, 08:00:54 AM »
Originally posted by Skydancer
Simple answer don't crash and you'll be fine!

Oh and what about the poor fuggers who get run over by your tank when you do?

Think of it as population control:D
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Skydancer

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
!#$% at the Pump
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2005, 08:03:58 AM »
:lol