Author Topic: "Hanoi Jane" apologizing for vietnam trip  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
"Hanoi Jane" apologizing for vietnam trip
« Reply #120 on: April 22, 2005, 08:22:38 PM »
Gren Clooud,

The slips of paper bit is an urban legend. Look at the posts in the beginning of the thread and the snopes link is there. The Colonel described in the legend stated that did not happen.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2005, 06:27:48 AM »
Originally posted by Lye-El
Vietnam wasn't a game Curval. What posessed you to make a statement like that?

It occurred to me that Lye-El may not know the back up to what I said.

Lye-El:

Airhead, the resident AH BBS troll and great Latin American type fellow, claimed he shot down Staga twice in AH recently.  Staga vehamently denied this and even had "proof" as he hasn't flown in months by way of the logs.  His protestations simply fueled Airhead's desire to keep up the charade,

(It all relates to Airhead's hatred of all things European, especially Staga)

Now...fast forward a couple of days and Nuke posts proof that Staga was indeed online over at the Check6 Forums in the form of screenshots (Staga is banned from that forum and unable to respond).  It was all a photoshop "job", but quite funny.

In a separate thread over there Airhead challenged Midnight Tahgut to a one-on-one basketball game....first one to reach 11 wins.  He then claimed to have played Staga some time ago and beat him 11-0.

THAT is the basis for what I said and again it was just an attempt at humour.

So...carry on.

LOL...the very next thread I opened this morning illustrates the ongoing Airhead vs Staga saga -

Here

GTO..I'll asked the wife and she will post later.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 07:08:00 AM by Curval »
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2005, 10:11:12 AM »
it is a pity that Abrahms didn't take over sooner.   He won the war in vietnam with less resources than westmoorland used to screw it all up.   Winning wasn't enough tho.. by then, people were so against it that we had to give it back to the north while breaking all our promises to the south...  the south fought on with no support and still did a decent job for years with no equipment to speak of.  

The reason I didn't go was because.... one, I was selfish and two... I had no idea why we were there and was suspicious when no one would or could come up with a logical reason... but mostly... It became apparent early on that westmoorland and the government were content to simply trade casualties with no real plan for winning or turning over the country to the vietnamese until Abrams took over and..... His polices (which worked) were never made public.   His successes were ignored by the press and promised made were broken at the negotiating table.

lazs

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2005, 11:12:01 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
it is a pity that Abrahms didn't take over sooner.   He won the war in vietnam with less resources than westmoorland used to screw it all up.  

Dude...:confused: ....what Vietnam War were you watching?

Woof

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2005, 11:33:54 AM »
Originally posted by Curval

(It all relates to Airhead's hatred of all things European, especially Staga)

Staga's OK- he's uptight cause he hasn't seen the sun for several months. He'll be normal by July 4th.

Offline EN4CER

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2005, 03:00:14 PM »
to Michael Smith, the gentleman that spit in her face at the book signing. Far cry from what she truly deserves.

Offline Silat

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2005, 06:14:54 PM »
Originally posted by EN4CER
to Michael Smith, the gentleman that spit in her face at the book signing. Far cry from what she truly deserves.

I was drafted and I do not <> or condone the behavior or this poor representative of an American male.
+Silat
"The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them." — Maya Angelou
"Conservatism offers no redress for the present, and makes no preparation for the future." B. Disraeli
"All that serves labor serves the nation. All that harms labor is treason."

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2005, 06:16:30 PM »
Silat, quit talking like a commie. :D

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2005, 08:01:58 PM »
A wad of tabbacco juice in the mug was just what she deserved.She led to more than a few troops getting spit on returniong home.I say a loogie in the eye for a loogie in the eye. :)
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: April 24, 2005, 12:08:24 AM »
snopes does not prove she did not turn notes over to torture commandrers...

I beleive Hackworth

Shes a traitorous maggot..

Bulldozer Time

Offline GreenCloud

• Silver Member
« Reply #130 on: April 24, 2005, 12:10:17 AM »
"She lauded the North Vietnamese military and citizens while she denounced American soldiers as "war criminals" and urged them to stop fighting, she lobbied to cut off all American economic aid to the South Vietnamese government even after the Paris Peace Accords ended U.S. military involvement in Vietnam, and she publicly thanked the Soviets for providing assistance to the North Vietnamese. And she did all this not as a reckless youth who rashly spouted ill-considered opinions now best forgotten, but as a 34-year-old adult who should be expected to bear full responsibility for her actions."

ya classy

rumble rumble..bullldozer

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 24, 2005, 01:29:38 AM »
Was Hackworth actually there?
sand

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: April 24, 2005, 11:35:30 AM »
skywolf... the war is "won" when 90% of your land is secure.   Abrams had kept the North so far down in supplyu that they were unable to mount an effective attack for 3 years.   Local security forces were in control of their own areas  400,000 farmers were owners of 2.5 million acres of land and tenancy was ended...  no rocket strikes were made on the capitol for 2 years.  

why?  what war were you watching?   A good book to read on the subject is one toad told me about.

"A Better War" by Lewis Sorley a third generation West Point graduate and holder of a doctorate from Johns Hopkins.. He served on staff at the pentagon for the Army and later as a senior advisor for the CIA.

Westmoorland simply went on search and destroy missions with body count the only thing important (I am sure you "watched" that)... Abrahms was into training the people and holding territory... and... stopping supply from and for the north.   He succeded wildly and his tactics can be seen in Iraq I believe.

lazs

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #133 on: April 24, 2005, 12:11:52 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
skywolf... the war is "won" when 90% of your land is secure.   He succeded wildly and his tactics can be seen in Iraq I believe.

lazs

You are correct in the fact that I've never read anything on the war. I just grew up watching it, hearing about it from relatives and friends who were there, and Hiding from it in college.
It's interesting to think that we won it. That's the first time I've ever heard anyone say that. I was aware that we had done some things successfully, but for the most part I thought we had our hands tied by a bunch of ridiculous rules and were mired in a body count trading clusterf__k (also as seen in Iraq). It also seemed at the time that we pulled out after pretty much having our oscares handed to us. At least that was the preception at the time. (yes... I'm older than dirt).

Woof

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2005, 02:22:28 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
It occurred to me that Lye-El may not know the back up to what I said.

THAT is the basis for what I said and again it was just an attempt at humour.

Curval, I did not make the connection that you had referenced your comment to. In retrospect, I was out of line.

I am not a Vietnam vet although I did volunteer for the Army in 1975.  After all of these years, a lot of things about that time frame still pisses me off.  Hence, I comment when I should let it go by. Sorry.

On another note, I watched Hanoi Jane on Bill Mayhers show last night. She is just as unrepentant now as she was then. I got the impression that she even took Mayhers by surprise with her attitude when he was asking her questions.

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs