Author Topic: Snuggle up to this teddy bear  (Read 4455 times)

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Snuggle up to this teddy bear
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »
Jeeez I almost crap my pants just looking at the picture.  If I had seen something like that coming at me I would have turned inside out.

Furious, if that thing weighs 1600 pounds it would take about 15 people to 'drag' it anywhere.

Those of you who regret that such a magnificent animal was killed by a mere human, look at it this way:  it lived a long life, probably sired many offspring, and now its carcass can be put on display to wow nature lovers everywhere.  It wasn't really a waste of a natural resource, it's much worse when cubs or young female animals are killed.

ra

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2001, 04:47:00 PM »
. All the bear-bells and preventive measures in the world can't always help.
...... All I had in defense was a can of bearspray (industrial mace)

ya, they tell you to wear the bells and carry the mace, but your best deffence is to know the type of bears in your area.

blacks can usually be scared away if you yell act big and make alot of noise.

with big browns it's time to run.

the best way to tell which type of bear is in the area with you before you see them is the dung laying around.
 black bear dung stinks real bad and has seads and the like in it. while griz dung has little bells in it and smells like pepper spray.

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: capt. apathy ]

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2001, 07:29:00 PM »
ROFL.

Bell peppers, mmmmmmmm.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2001, 11:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by rosco-:
My bear was under 300 lbs and ran away from me when I shot and it scared the crap out of me.

I can see shootng to scare, can't see shootin to kill.

I do believe the one with the 7.65mm has the slight advantage..

oh, what skill..
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2001, 11:47:00 PM »
eagler, if you can't see shooting a bear to kill, my guess is you've never seen a bear in the wild, while on foot.

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2001, 02:31:00 AM »
Wow, what a bear!!!  Now THAT'S a lot of bear meat.  The hunter made his decision, without hesitation in this case.  All I can say is, if I was deer hunting and was attacked by a large BROWN bear, I'd shoot it too, and pray I didn't run out of ammo...or time...or TP.<G>  The dude who shot that monster musta had a cannon of a rifle.  Probably a Win. 300 magnum, 7mm magnum, Marlin .444 lever action or BLR in a heavy calibre, or something similar.

............................. ..............

Where I hunt, there are an estimated 30 black bears in a very concentrated area...4 square miles.  My hunting partners saw 16 yesterday, and I saw 5 today while deer hunting from a climber.  It was way cool, very relaxing.  Hehe, I'm starting to think that's why I see no deer on the green fields.  The bears come out in late afternoon and graze on the wheat and oats in the powerline fields, which are continuous for about a mile.

Ammo, where you were hunting almost describes where I hunt to a "T."  Or I should say it describes my normal routine on a hunt, sans close encounter.  The bears seem very shy at the sight of humans, and always run off when they are encountered on the ground.  I'm glad you told your story mate, it makes me feel a little better about where I'm hunting.  This is about 20 miles north of Mobile, AL.  I believe most of the bear population in Alabama is in this area.  
They are protected and are not hunted here.  

Salute!

Les
SCLeslie

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2001, 03:21:00 AM »
Ever had a hamburger Eagler?

Or you just a tofu, salad, green wool socks and sandals kinda guy?

Just wondering.

--

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Creamo ]

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2001, 06:22:00 AM »
We'd be seeing a different picture if the guy had been bow hunting...

Hey Creamo, don't tease my buddy Eagler   ;)

But its true... in the words of Michigan's home-grown Ted Nugent - "There's a gut pile for every hamburger you eat."

I think Eagler knows that. He just hates to see such a magnificent specimen go down...

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2001, 10:08:00 AM »
Originally posted by Creamo:

Or you just a tofu, salad, green wool socks and sandals kinda guy?

the socks are pink but don't wear them with me sandals  :)

yep, I love steaks - if I had to shoot & clean the cow, it'd probably be a different story unless I was a mountain man like some of you must be.  :)

what gunthr said.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2001, 10:58:00 AM »
I don't mean it as a slam but a lot of people with their 'oh what a waist of a magnificent animal' line have just been living far enough from the food chain that they never have to do the math. they can comfortably eat meat ( or wear leather, or use other product made from animals) and still say how terrible it is to kill animals, all from the comfort of home without ever having to get their own hands bloody.
 apparently the only reason it's ok for cattle and hogs to die is you can pay somebody to kill it for you, while when somebody kills a bear, deer, elk, antelope, or cougar they had to do it themselves, and people can put their burger down and point and say "KILLER, you destroyed that magnificent animal"
personally I think everyone should have to kill, gut, skin  and prepare at least one meal in their life.  they might appreciate the situation a little better.

Ps.
IF we’re not supposed to eat animals, why do they make them outta meat?

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
Bah hunting for fun sucks... that's why we grow cows on farms so that no gun tothing folks wander around the woods shooting things up..

poor bear

as eagler said who was in who's neighborhood?

DW6

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2001, 11:55:00 AM »
duckwing,
i have to agree that killing purely for fun does suck.  i'd rather listen to 100 anti-hunting loonies than feel the way i feel when i find an animal that somebody shot just to kill it, or chops off a 'trophy' and leaves the meat. or the lazy bastard who shoots an elk on it's way down a hill in heavy brush and decides it's to much trouble to track the blood trail and hual the meat back up the hill.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2001, 12:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gunthr:
We'd be seeing a different picture if the guy had been bow hunting...
[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Gunthr ]

Wish I had a scanner handy. On the inside cover of the Bowhunter's Digest, 3rd Edition, is a picture of the author, Chuck Adams next to an Alaskan brown bear. At the time, the bear was the largest brown bear ever taken with a bow. The estimated weight of the bear 1400 pounds. Chest girth was 97 inches. He shot it from 12 yards away.
sand

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2001, 12:30:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hangtime:
Sounds like a tree-hugger TV crime drama script already.

Originally posted by Duckwing6:
Bah hunting for fun sucks... that's why we grow cows on farms so that no gun tothing folks wander around the woods shooting things up..

I think you'll find that many hunters are what you'd call "tree-huggers".

Hunting plays an important role in wildlife management.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Sandman_SBM ]
sand

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2001, 01:47:00 PM »
Cool. Ya got to kill em for ya grill em as 'Ol Uncle Ted says. Just making sure.