Author Topic: Snuggle up to this teddy bear  (Read 4453 times)

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Snuggle up to this teddy bear
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2001, 01:51:00 PM »
Yep, whack em and stack em  :)
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline t

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.planethalflife.com/cin
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
tag 'em and bag 'em?

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2001, 09:20:00 PM »
Bah hunting for fun sucks... that's why we grow cows on farms so that no gun tothing folks wander around the woods shooting things up..
poor bear

as eagler said who was in who's neighborhood?

DW6

Who's neighborhood? Aw, c'mon; yer kiddin, right? Hey, guess what.. we're top of the foodchain, and the woods are OUR woods when we walk in 'em..  

Look, hunting unarmed critters when I got enuf cash for a steak at the local BBQ pit is not my gig. But neither is hunting un-fun and there's lots of hikers, campers and fishermen crawlin around the great outdoors that want to enjoy our wildlands in the 1st person... not on National Geographic.

Now, I know there's some critters in western europe.. wild pigs and some boar, but certainly nothin that gets to 1600lbs and considers homo sap a quick snack. Walking around natures preserves in North America tends to be just about as dangerous as strolling the streets of south central LA.

Even if I wasn't 'hunting' I'd still go armed. Whatever tried to jump me would likely get shot, and I'd worry about counting legs afterwards.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline SageFIN

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2001, 11:17:00 AM »
Originally posted by Hangtime:

Now, I know there's some critters in western europe.. wild pigs and some boar, but certainly nothin that gets to 1600lbs and considers homo sap a quick snack. Walking around natures preserves in North America tends to be just about as dangerous as strolling the streets of south central LA

The brown bear found in Europe eats mostly plants, berries and such. AFAIK it only resorts to meat just after and before hibernation, when it needs to build it's fat layer and after when it needs to regain lost body weight. To my knowledge, no badly ended bear encounters in Finland have actually involved the bear eating the unfortunate guy. IIRC in most cases that a bear has attacked someone, it's because it has been surprised, wounded, sick or protecting it's cubs.

Now grizzly bears are to my knowledge bigger but I have no idea whatsoever if they might also be mostly carnivore and more agressive. Some of you folks over there probably know better.

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by SageFIN:

The brown bear found in Europe eats mostly plants, berries and such. AFAIK it only resorts to meat just after and before hibernation, when it needs to build it's fat layer and after when it needs to regain lost body weight. To my knowledge, no badly ended bear encounters in Finland have actually involved the bear eating the unfortunate guy. IIRC in most cases that a bear has attacked someone, it's because it has been surprised, wounded, sick or protecting it's cubs.

Now grizzly bears are to my knowledge bigger but I have no idea whatsoever if they might also be mostly carnivore and more agressive. Some of you folks over there probably know better.

HJey there,

The Alaskan brown bear is rather aggressive and will imbibe on people silly enough (aka tourists) or unlucky enough to get in reach. They are known to actively hunt people and are not the shy type on a chance encounter. They WILL attack and eat you.

Think of it like this, they are the top of their food chain and they know it. Like the polar bear they are NOT people friendly.

DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2001, 12:55:00 PM »
Christ, guys, need a Day care sitter in these threads, I post a hunting story of someone going out to shoot a deer to EAT and encounters a bear...LOL.  Now go to your rooms without dinner!

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2001, 01:43:00 PM »
Oh go vacuum your driveway tardboy.

Offline Merro

• Zinc Member
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2001, 05:14:00 AM »
Had a Koala Bear attack me once...
 :eek:

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #53 on: December 05, 2001, 01:46:00 PM »
Poor bear....probably got spooked and was protecting itself.

Killing it undoubtedly adversley affected the gene pool in that area..

Sorry...hunting is NOT my thing at all...unless of course you are flying against me.

:(
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2001, 02:13:00 PM »
So, just for arguements sake Curval, lets say the story was about a Green Peace guy that was out checking out the bear population in the area for sort of a head count...but YOU are the guy doing it.  Your given a rifle to "protect" yourself. This monster charges you...its him or you...would you set your rifle down and run?  ;)

Offline Hangtime

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: December 05, 2001, 02:44:00 PM »
My gues... he'd shriek like a woman, and faint.

About the most dangerous critter on Bermuda is a goat slated for a rib dinner.
The price of Freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle, anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness...

...at home, or abroad.

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: December 05, 2001, 02:57:00 PM »
ROTFLOL Hang, sometimes you say things that get me SWOMming. (Spew Water On Monitor)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
A Greenpeace Guy!  Where's MY rifle!  Please don't lump me in with that bunch of tree huggers!

I'm just an animal lover man...you are right, this guy every right to protect himself.......but he wouldn't have been atacked if he wasn't out to shoot other animals...ie deer!

He looks well fed and healthy...so I don't think he was out there to bring home food for the family...he was out to shoot animals for sport...I think it's wrong!
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: December 05, 2001, 03:05:00 PM »
We have a few dangerous animals here...like sharks!!!!  I'll take you for a dip about five miles out and then watch you wet yourself as a Hammerhead licks his chops!

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: December 05, 2001, 04:12:00 PM »
the bear stood up only 35 yards away. The bear immediately charged and he shot the bear until his gun was empty and the bear finally fell just 10 yards in front of him.

Furious, if that thing weighs 1600 pounds it would take about 15 people to 'drag' it anywhere.

That was my whole point ra.  Look at the picture.  Look which way the bear is facing.  Look at the surrounding bush.

I think the guy was hunting deer or whatever, saw a big bellybutton bear and killed it.  Then made up a lame-ass story.

F.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Furious ]