Author Topic: Arkansas and evolution :D  (Read 6014 times)

Offline takeda

• Nickel Member
Arkansas and evolution :D
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
Pst cabby... i'll whisper you some secrets so that your pals at Redneck Creationism School, Shelby NC don't notice right away how pathetic you are

1. Santa (except in AH   ) doesn't exists, your parents actually buy your presents.

2. Evolutionism is backed up by facts, creationism by ancient jewish folklore.

3. Smugness is what makes a good flame post. I leave content for educated discussion with educated people.

4. This is my last post in this thread, so your nosensical subsequent response will be an everlasting tribute to your own dumbness.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2001, 05:21:00 PM »
"You offer that as "scientific proof"??? Think again. On second thought, try thinking at all....."

This is too rich. What "proof" do you offer me that we ARENT descended from species that have 99% (just saw this on Discovery) of their genes exactly the same as ours? I mean, WOW what an ODD coincidence..right? Not to mention that no other species share that similarity with us.

Better yet, what do YOU believe we came from? Proof?

Inevitably, it comes down to facts vs faith. Which will you believe in?

ICEWIND

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2001, 05:38:00 PM »
Yes, the 2% proof it is not more than a silly number than any sort of explanation.
When was the last time you have heard a monkey philosophize about his creation with his fellow monkey comrades………….never ,wonder why?
Maybe because they are missing 2% of our Genes?
Sure ,the 2% are the answer to everything what's in mans head.
The silly 2% do not explain anything.

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2001, 05:45:00 PM »
One of my co-workers became a "Jehova's Witness".
I found out they have a little book where they can find answer almost all "tough" questions people may ask them. He is a fine man but maybe not too clever...

I wonder what would happen if those guys could decide what schools should teach to childrens...
Guess people of Arkansas are wondering too ?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2001, 06:01:00 PM »
icewind, its 1% (I was quoting the 2% from memory). And yes, 1% of genes do carry a LOT of information, enough to separate chimps and humans. And enough to prove that we do descend from them.

But hey, you want to argue that, go talk with any teacher or scientist. They will provide you with much more data on this than I can.

Staga: LOL! Now I know why those pests are so hard to get rid of. They buzzed my neighborhood so frequently we put up a "no soliciting" sign. They denied they werent soliciting. Finally, a week after the sign was put up the community put a lawyer after their sorry asses. Never saw them again. I miss shoving the door into their faces.. guess ill have to shoot down more c-47's with 303's to make up for such fun!

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2001, 06:41:00 PM »
Quote:

"Inevitably, it comes down to facts vs faith.."

And you put your "faith" in "facts".

The Theory Of Evolution is a "fact", right??  Because "everyone says so"???  Because it "seems likely"???  Or evidence "suggests" it's true???  Or, "it said so in my school textbook"???

Or such logic<sic> as a statement like this:

" And enough to prove that we do descend from them. "

Brainwashing is a terrible thing.......

None of you have any more idea of how we got on this planet than the "least clever" member of any religion.  And it's a gut cinch you will leave this planet just as ignorant of the answer as when you were born.

Cabby

[This message has been edited by cabby (edited 03-24-2001).]
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2001, 07:43:00 PM »
Heya Cabby. Allow me to enlighten you a bit on your insistence on the word theory   .

it's as solid as the theory of gravity - both are scientific theories that have undergone peer review and are supported by mathematical models and empirical evidence.

Scientific theories are not your average who shot JFK theories. There's much more to it than that.

"I thought evolution was just a theory. Why do you call it a fact? "

Biological evolution is a change in the genetic characteristics of a population over time. That this happens is a fact. Biological evolution also refers to the common descent of living organisms from shared ancestors. The evidence for historical evolution -- genetic, fossil, anatomical, etc. -- is so overwhelming that it is also considered a fact. The theory of evolution describes the mechanisms that cause evolution. So evolution is both a fact and a theory. See the Evolution is a Fact and a Theory FAQ, the Introduction to Evolutionary Biology FAQ
and the Five Major Misconceptions about Evolution FAQ.
 http://www.talkorigins.org

If you do not wish to dig through all the "nonsense theory" invented for pure fun by scientists to make a name for themselves or to be blasphemous against God, the article here is well worth reading:
 http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-fact.html

It should clear your misconceptions about evolution, scientific theories and what we humans call facts.

It should also be equally clear even to the dimmest of readers that there is a clear difference between a science class and a class on mythology - creationism belongs to the second one. While interesting reading, scientifically, it is incredibly unsound and not really an alternative.

There is the option of saying "we do not know" regarding how we got to be where we are. The problem of course is that we have ample evidence for microevolution, and lots for macroevolution.

But for a school to NOT allow a subject that has a proven scientific validity and value is a step in the wrong direction

The more one learns about evolution, the more it makes sense - it is akin to learning about computers, for instance. To me, it used to be a magic box that I could do weird things with. Then I learned about the different layers, from the gates used all the way up to high level languages.

Sometimes some things aren't intuitive. That does not mean they are nonsensical. Of course, the opposite is true as well.

As a final note, the lead singer of The Sisters of mercy is much more well read than I can ever hope to be, speaks five languages and has written some quite interesting articles. Sarcastic and arrogant, aye, but not yer average idiot with a guitar  .

Assumptions, assumptions  

------------------
Baron Claus "StSanta" Von Ribbentroppen
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"
"You filthy piece of distended rectum! DIE allierte schweinhund!"

[This message has been edited by StSanta (edited 03-24-2001).]

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2001, 08:20:00 PM »
Gravity is not a "theory".  

Evolution is not a "fact".  No matter HOW much you may  want it to be.  All the Discovery Channel/Steven Spielberg dinosaur/mammoth/caveman CGG TV shows won't "prove" Evolution either.

But even if i were to stipulate that it is, there is no proof the human race descended from monkeys, lemurs, alien beings, feathered serpents, coyotes, or anything else.

Rest on your "assumptions" if it makes you feel like you have a handle on creation, but in fact, you are just whistling in the dark just like everyone else.

Cabby

ICEWIND

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2001, 08:44:00 PM »
Tac believe or not I believe in Evolution.
I say God is the creator of all things. That makes him to the creator of Nature and their for to the creator of Evolution.
The only real problem I have with Evolution is the way it is used in public, it seems to me that some people relate to it as some sort simplified  welfare-teaching explanation for everything.
I do not doubt that we are related to chimps, but what is the statement of this exactly? Where do we go from here now? Can why stop wondering now…….about the Creator of all things?
It does not explain why we got touched, nor will chimp declarations comfort anybody's Soul.
Besides that theirs one point smart A.. Science can not explain, ….why Us and not the to 93% related Mouse. I will openly admit if Humans are striped of technology and everything the they have created and put back in nature besides any sort of living thing we have to realize that our (basic) emotions of our Soul are similar and sometimes the same compared to any living creature. But I can not help myself we have a suspicion that there is a some sort of unknown difference between our living flesh and the flesh of other living things. Maybe call the unknown God.

But the only thing we really know is that we know nothing for sure, be it as it is.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2001, 09:21:00 PM »
Agreed Ice. However, teaching creationism as part of a teaching curriculum (in SCIENCE class for feks sake) is utterly moronic.

Not only are they pushing the belief of one religion into a multi-ethnic population, but they cover it in SCIENCE class!! I bet that if your kids were taught the Zulu creation myth in science class, and were getting graded in it/taught that THIS was THE way things happened... wouldnt you raise some kind of cry?

Why dont they start a modern inquisition while they're at it? =P

"And you put your "faith" in "facts".

But of course. What else would I put it in? I question the "facts" as easily as I question religious "faith". Happily though, my "facts" can be proven or disproven.

Would you rather I put my faith in creation myths that are so vastly different in each culture of this planet? I have a textbook of mythology lying around here, it has at least 42 creation myths from tribes in a SINGLE continent.All of them different. Compare that to the ONE concept that has a VAST base of evidence and FACTS, all throughfuly tested throught the "HOLY" Scientific Method and accepted by the scientific community of EARTH.

I wouldnt gamble on those odds.

If you believe in something that is not backed by evidence and has deep roots in religion, that is your choice. Science and Religion have always been very separate things catering to different parts of our minds.

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 03-24-2001).]

funked

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2001, 09:28:00 PM »
Takeda do you and Cabby have some sort of history or are you just an amazinhunk?

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2001, 09:38:00 PM »
ew double post.

[This message has been edited by Tac (edited 03-24-2001).]

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2001, 10:06:00 PM »
Quote:

"Why dont they start a modern inquisition while they're at it.."

I thought "they" already have.  It's called "Political Correctness" as widely practiced in many institutions of "higher learning".

Say, believe, or even think the wrong thing and the Left-Liberal "Grand Inquisitors And Protectors Of Right Thinking" come after you with all the "religious fanatic" fury they can muster.....

Cabby

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2001, 11:22:00 PM »
"I thought "they" already have. It's called "Political Correctness" as widely practiced in many institutions of "higher learning".

Say, believe, or even think the wrong thing and the Left-Liberal "Grand Inquisitors And Protectors Of Right Thinking" come after you with all the "religious fanatic" fury they can muster....."

Explain please, I dont know what you refer to.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2001, 03:50:00 AM »
Cabby, I have a Masters degree in Applied Physics, and I can tell you now that Gravity is quite definitely a theory as much as any other.

Also, Santa put it all together excellently.

Tac - Cabby sees communists everywhere, especially if they happen to disagree with him.

[This message has been edited by Dowding (edited 03-25-2001).]
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.