Author Topic: Becoming a Trainer  (Read 2486 times)

Offline Ted Strykker

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Becoming a Trainer
« on: August 17, 2005, 04:43:37 PM »
I have played this game for long enough.

I have this knack for being able too show and explain the workings of this game too someone that just saw the commercial for it 15 mins. ago.

And above all i have the Patience too help these new people.

I have logged numerous hours in the TA helping new pilots and experienced pilots.Pretty much i have logged more hours in the TA than anything else,for the MA is boring too me.

I have done this under different names.

I asked Ghosth not too far back about becoming a trainer because he noticed that i had the qualitys of a good trainer.I wanted too become a trainer not for the semi-free account but the ability too boot the people out of the TA that were causing trouble and making it hard for others too learn.It seems that everytime someone was causing trouble that there never was a trainer available too take care of that problem.

After 4 years of playing this game i enjoy teaching more than anything else this game has too offer,and if given a trainer postion i would probably spend the majority of my game time in the TA.

Ghosth tells me that they are restructuring things and that everybody is put on a list,i respect that.

I go into the TA today and see that Silat has been made a trainer.

I havn,t seen him in there that much at all in Ah-1 or Ah-2 but now he gets a  trainer postion,when i ask how he says "well i was a trainer in AW".

So my question is this,does a person get a trainer postion based on "The Buddy System" ,or does a person become a trainer based on his time spent in the TA helping people and making sure that others don't disrupt that?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 04:45:46 PM by Ted Strykker »

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 05:11:09 PM »
As far as I know, Ghosth decides who becomes a Trainer and who doesn't. Silat has been a Trainer for a couple months now.

Ghosth once confided in me; he rarely accepts people who ask to be a trainer because they are the most likily to abuse the power. Not saying that this applies to you, but they do have to watch out for the weenies that would sit there and boot the people they don't like.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 05:26:25 PM »
Silat is not only an outstanding pilot...but also widely respected through out the "community"....I don't have any basis to comment on your skills or potential as a trainer. But I can tell you that silat is an outstanding addition.

Truthfully, your 1st sentence makes me doubt that your "ready for prime time".....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 06:11:57 PM »
I must admit i'm surprised to see something derogatory posted about silat.  Silat has played for years and one of the nicest guys in AH.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Ted Strykker

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 06:29:01 PM »
This is not a post about Silat,so stop trying too turn it into that.

Learn too  read.

I have talked too ghosth and he is no longer the Head Trainer,TC is.

This was a question of the Buddy System not another pilots skills,as i was hoping for a member of the Training staff too respond,not the Peanut gallery.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 06:37:54 PM »
Then you should have emailed TC directly instead of posting it here.  But let me ask you this....If you had 1 position to fill and several applicants, wouldnt you want the one that has prior experience?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 06:40:38 PM »
Is it possible that this post has made it hard for anyone to consider your request?  

Is it also possible that this may be one of those e-mail to HTC itself type issues rather than an emberassing confrontation for all involved, here of all places, where the very new players you value could get an erronious impression and leave the game?

Is your anger more important than helping new players whether you have a title or not?

After all this is just a game.......................
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline thrila

• Gold Member
      • The Few Squadron
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 06:50:36 PM »
If you're going to be like that ted i'll shall be blunt and straight to the point.  From your 2 posts you come across arrogant and rude, 2 qualities being the antithesis required from a trainer.
"Willy's gone and made another,
Something like it's elder brother-
Wing tips rounded, spinner's bigger.
Unbraced tailplane ends it's figure.
One-O-nine F is it's name-
F is for futile, not for fame."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 06:53:20 PM »
Maybe the training staff wanted someone that could actually teach a new player ACM and the other fine points of air combat other than how to HO?

And we all know that only reason +Silat got the job is that he looks good in heels and a skirt.  Ever thought of trying that?  

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 08:10:51 PM »
Originally posted by thrila
If you're going to be like that ted i'll shall be blunt and straight to the point.  From your 2 posts you come across arrogant and rude, 2 qualities being the antithesis required from a trainer.

Do a search for his past post. This is mild compared to some I've read.
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 08:46:17 PM »
It is to a post about silat. Simply put, he's an outstanding choice for a trainer and I seriously doubt you have anywhere near as much to offer. Your implying that he got the "job" based on something other than his ability....which is garbage.

I certainly wont try and speak for ghost or TC....but from personal experience I can tell you that a blend of talents is needed. Somebody like Silat can fill a bunch of roles...

So in closing, I read just fine.

Silat was chosen because he is the better person for the job...probably by a wide margin.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 08:47:52 PM »
Well Ted, your qualifications notwithstanding, your comments and raised issues, read: sour grapes + "good ole boy insider network politicing" isn't going to do much to help your cause.

I will say this about Silat, he spends as much time helping newbies...answering questions...calling them to provide further help on HIS DIME...as he does flying. Probably a lot more. Silat is a gentlemen's gentleman on ch 200 and I wish half the folks who tune and preach on said "open channel" had the class + respect for other players that Silat has. Silat has been a member of the online air combat sim community for ages. If anyone's qualified to step up as a trainer, Silat is.

In the future, please communicate your concerns to the training staff at HTC as opposed to questioning Silat's ability, integrity or qualifications in this public forum. By doing so, you're doing yourself a woefull injustice.

DmdMax

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 08:54:55 PM »
Hello Ted Strykker,

you have found out correctly that I am the Head Trainer of the Aces High Trainers Corps.

I do have a running updated list of who has requested to become Trainers, as well as who I watch that are helping in the TA, in the MA, in the CT, helping answer questions on the new "Help Channel" amongst other things, add to that how people respond to others needs here on the boards, not only in this "Training & Help forum" but in ALL FORUMS - main ones being the Tech,  Hardware/Software  Game Feedback & request ( known now as WishList Forum) ,  and the Bug forum. The other forums show me how they react and enteract in the community ( The General Discussion, The O'Club , The CT Forum etc etc etc...)

You can email me directly at TequilaChaser(@)flyaceshigh.com and we can discuss this further if you like.

as for Silat becoming a Trainer, he served his time helping in all aspects of the game beyond just teaching how to take off etc...he has helped on all accounts regarding technical issues, setup, hardware, etc...and he has put in just as much time in game if not more.

So it has nothing to do with the Buddy system! If it did wouldn't you think just about all Damned would be Trainers? because more than 2/3rds of us were Trainers or held Head Trainer position in Air Warrior at one time or another.

the rest of this we can discuss off list.

I can say this though. There are no spots available at this time, and will not be available until TOD is released and the Big Honcho's tell me they want more added!

Thank You Ted Strykker for all the help & support you have put forth to help the community, it has not and will not go un noticed I assure you.
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Ted Strykker

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 08:57:53 PM »
It is to a post about silat.

He was an example
Maybe the training staff wanted someone that could actually teach a new player ACM and the other fine points of air combat other than how to HO?

I never HO and i don,t teach anyone too do the same.

....If you had 1 position to fill and several applicants, wouldnt you want the one that has prior experience?

You want the person that can best interprut the game too someone that doesn,t have a clue.I heard Silat today telling a new pilot too E-mail him so he could send him the help file,the new pilot was confused,he could have just told the new pilot too go too the HiTech web site and download it from there,or gave him the address too that site,instead he chose too confuse the new pilot.

I don,t really think any of you have the patience it takes too deal with someone who doesn,t even know how too type or talk for that matter.

Because the majority of you that are in the MA and someone new is asking for help ,1/2 the time people tell the new pilot too go too the TA.That's where people like myself who enjoy showing the new pilots how too get started and what does what ,that has the patience and the time too do so.

Is it also possible that this may be one of those e-mail to HTC itself type issues rather than an emberassing confrontation for all involved, here of all places, where the very new players you value could get an erronious impression and leave the game?
I,ve E-mail them,they don;t like too answer you.And as far as the new players go,i keep it real with them i don't BS anything,i,m staright too the point.That's why i am able too come across too them in a way they understand,other than hitting them with some tech talk.Their head is already spinning no sense in spinning it some more.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 09:00:22 PM by Ted Strykker »

Offline Ted Strykker

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Becoming a Trainer
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 09:02:47 PM »
Thank you TC for responding.Be looking for my E-mail.<<>>

:aok
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 09:05:19 PM by Ted Strykker »