Author Topic: Dogfights: The Greatest Air Battles  (Read 2739 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
Dogfights: The Greatest Air Battles
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2005, 10:31:36 AM »
Why did I know that in a thread about people not getting history right, Ben Affleck's name would come up.

~AoM~

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2005, 11:00:45 AM »
So where did Wotan say that he "has no respect at all for the guys who put it all on the line so he has the freedoms he enjoys"?

Or heck, has Wotan even posted in this thread at the first place? You got any proof to back up that Bruno is Wotan, which he very well may be, and equally as much may be not?

It's classical - the knee-jerk reactions to anything that might draw even the mildest shade on your blind patriotism. Bruno thought the show sucked and the title did not match the contents - and just by saying that, now he is submitted to an open criticism from the self-proclaimed "House of Unamerican Acts Represantitives of Aces High Boards"[/b], under accusation of being un-American, un-patriotic, and using a false account which lies totally on speculation alone.

And then it quickly proceeds to Wotan-bashing, in a thread which (seemingly) he didn't comment a single word about.

You guys are unbelievable.

What's next? Light a torch, get the shotgun and the noose, and start hanging the next 'revisionist' who disagrees to your ideas?

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2005, 11:16:38 AM »
I thought the show was rather mediocre, as are most programs on the History Channel. WTF do you expect for the water'd down junk they show? The only thing interesting to me (as usual) was hearing the actual participants accounts, not the CGI reenactment.

American or not though, you could not have a show about "Greatest" air battles and not have Randy "Duke" Cunningham's fights in there.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2005, 11:29:06 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
No one would say a damned thing about the British movie companies or the BBS making 95% or more of their movies or TV shows about British pilots. Few of us over here would give it a second thought.  

Thats the difference in cultures though that i was describing in my last post, the British tend to downplay their accomplishments as if 'not to brag' and give a varied approach to show the whole picture.

With all due respect, it says a great deal about the majority of the target audience's intelligence if they are only concerned with their country's accomplishments.  Either that, or as i have said, it is due to the difference in cultures.

(i know i am treading a fine line here.. but..) Freedom of speech and all that, why shouldnt Wotan try to make more Americans aware of the accomplishments of the LW pilots? it may well be these programmes and American history books have glorified the accomplishments of American pilots to much more than they actually achieved? and made the LW pilots out to be turkey's?

Again, please dont shoot the messenger.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2005, 11:30:45 AM »
Originally posted by Furball
T
We get a lot of American history programmes/films here and they always seem to only look at everything from an American perspective, which is why the younger generations of Americans tend to believe that they won WWII on their own.  

Yeah... the French helped.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2005, 11:31:29 AM »
Originally posted by SkyWolf
Yeah... the French helped.

Yes they did, very much so.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2005, 11:33:47 AM »
Point of Order:

My earlier post only addresses my belief that Bruno is Wotan in shades and that I'm suprised he feels the need for a shade.

Anything else read into it is going on solely in the mind of the reader. For example, if Kewassa is referring to me in his above post, it's all in his mind because I certainly did not say anything remotely like that.

Carry on.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2005, 11:45:11 AM »
Not to be cruel but... The show seemed that Americans invented the "art of dogfighting" :D Other countries contributed too.  I don't care if the show extended to 6 hours as long as it incluided  the best dogfights from other counties.

What's missing in that show (some samples)

Marseilles - Marseilles made himself invisible by flying solo against 10 P-40s in Africa. He shot many of them down.  He's the greatest dogfighter hands down had he live loonger.  He also stressed teh importance of working out to increase G tolerances.

Eastern Front: Russians - NONE was mentioned.  I understand the researchers have to go all the way to Russia, hire translators, pay transportation costs, ect ect.  The budget for this program is gonna be expensive.

The brits: they suffered the same fate, nothing mentioned.

Offline 1K3

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2005, 11:49:15 AM »
Anyway Touchy's CG looks WAY BETTER!!!:furious

:D

PS Touchy is the guy who created "1942" and "1945" mini films.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2005, 11:54:11 AM »
Originally posted by 1K3
He shot many of them down.  He's the greatest dogfighter hands down had he live loonger.  

I disagree, i believe Albert Ball or Werner Voss from the first world war were, they were the "i will take on any formation you have to throw at me" pilots.  Unless you are referring to WWII only?

"Dogfighting" on a large scale wasnt as common after 1918.  Wasnt it said that 90% of a/c in WWII were shot down where the pilot didnt see his enemy?
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2005, 12:10:16 PM »
Jeez you guys gotta lighten up a bit.

Now your grumbling that the title of a TV show didn't spell it out exactly for you?

LOL amazing.  I like to keep the remote next to me so that if the show isn't what I like I can just turn the channel :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2005, 12:16:57 PM »
You guys think that was the whole show?

Two hours showing just American air heroes?

I think not.

My bet is that it's a long series and the episode they aired yesterday was just about American pilots hairiest fights.

I'm thinking there is more to come that will consentrate on other countries finest pilots air combat feats in their turn.

My guess is British air combat heroes next.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 12:19:11 PM by Blooz »
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2005, 12:24:36 PM »
It was pretty cool / interesting, got it on tape. ;)

All you anti-American crybabies can KMA. :lol

storch

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »
Originally posted by Grits
I thought the show was rather mediocre, as are most programs on the History Channel. WTF do you expect for the water'd down junk they show? The only thing interesting to me (as usual) was hearing the actual participants accounts, not the CGI reenactment.

American or not though, you could not have a show about "Greatest" air battles and not have Randy "Duke" Cunningham's fights in there.

or some of the very last pure gunfighter furballs in Korea.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2005, 12:31:09 PM »
I saw alot earlier in the show that showcased the germans having alot to do with the concept of air combat. The 8 rules of air combat they showed for example.  I recommend other countries make their own shows, and give their point of view.  I do hope their are more of these shows to come. Id like to see some Pacific stuff.  However, from Korea on, with the exection of the Israelis, I cant think of another country, more involved with air combat than the US.

~AoM~