Author Topic: Dogfights: The Greatest Air Battles  (Read 2751 times)

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
Dogfights: The Greatest Air Battles
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2005, 08:17:04 PM »
What's up with all this "American Bashing" crap just 'cuz the show only showed dogfights with American pilots?
Where were all the complaining types a few months ago when they showed the series about the Battle of Britain and the Spitfire, and had the competition where one lucky guy got 10 hours of training in a 2-seater Spitfire?  Did anybody happen to notice that the 4 final candidates were BRITISH only?  How unfair is that?  Did the Brits forget about the Americans who were helping them out suring the Battle of Britain in the Eagle Squadrons?  What about all the lend-lease help?
See what I mean - nobody complained about that, but let an American company make a show that only shows American-involved dogfights, and all the PC crybabies come out of the closet.

Ok, I'll be quiet now and go back to watching from the sidelines.....

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2005, 08:32:57 PM »
Originally posted by SKJohn
What's up with all this "American Bashing" crap just 'cuz the show only showed dogfights with American pilots?
Where were all the complaining types a few months ago when they showed the series about the Battle of Britain and the Spitfire, and had the competition where one lucky guy got 10 hours of training in a 2-seater Spitfire?  Did anybody happen to notice that the 4 final candidates were BRITISH only?  How unfair is that?  

We Americans dont mind that sort of thing as much.
After all they are only Brits:D
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2005, 09:25:36 PM »
When I watch an American television station, broadcasting a program(me) produced by Americans, for Americans, (and I'm no rocket scientist either), I am in no way whatsoever expecting a fully accurate, comprehensive history and rendering of every legendary, relevant, or epic air battle ever fought, including pilots and anecdotes from all countries, in a 2 hour segment.. If you expect the above to come from the TV in America, you might be stupid.  

Anyway, what did they use to render the CG bits? That was some damn fined looking stuff.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline jaxxo

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2005, 10:10:27 PM »
hehehe mo..cheap shot but i like it :P I would like to know what program or game was used in the graphics as well.

Offline Fry

• Zinc Member
« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2005, 10:15:57 PM »
As a FYI, it next airs on Saturday October 22, 2005 at 5:00pm on the History Channel.

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2005, 10:22:11 PM »
Originally posted by hubsonfire
If you expect the above to come from the TV in America, you might be stupid.

Might? :confused:

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2005, 10:50:12 PM »
"Dogfighting" on a large scale wasnt as common after 1918. Wasnt it said that 90% of a/c in WWII were shot down where the pilot didnt see his enemy?

That was also true to a large extent in WW1 and Korea as well. Aces often related about closing to very close range on the unsuspecting before opening fire.  The unwary were almost always the ones who payed the price.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline BigR

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2005, 11:12:53 PM »
It’s a freakin TV show. It’s not like an official government entity sat down and decided to censor all the other stories out. Lighten up.

Someone can’t just post about a great show can they? All the American bashers have to come out of the woodwork.
To those America bashers: If you hate America so much, stop sending your 14.95/month to Texas and go away.

It’s just funny how much time some people put in to hating us. It has always been a dream of mine to visit Europe (and many other places). It’s just sad that when I go, I will have to research what regions will hate me, and which ones won’t. I don’t imagine that the average European would have to worry about that if they came to America.

People are people….even us uneducated, smug, Americans.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2005, 11:52:36 PM »

yes dipchit i wrote it.

a man with such a small intelect like yours would stick up for a phag like bruno

I bow to your obvious display of intellect.

In an instant, with just one sentence, you probably immediately offended and turned every non-American in these boards against you, whom initially remained neutral to this topic. You have a blinding talent for making people who likes Americans and has many American friends, suddenly begin to rethink the American attitude in regards to the typical snobbiness.

Certainly, there is no matching your intelligence when it comes to belittling, offending, cussing, and displaying violent and distasteful non-tolerance to any opinion that does not match your own.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 11:54:47 PM by Kweassa »

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2005, 12:49:47 AM »
Then it should be called "greatest AMERICAN air battles"

If this was on a british, german ,or french  channel , would the title have been The Greatest BRITISH, GERMAN, FRENCH,  Air Battles ,  unlikley..........     38
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 12:52:48 AM by 38ruk »

Offline Glasses

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2005, 01:28:20 AM »
The show was ok and the graphics they had were top notch. They did mention a Luftwaffe Pilot named Otto Kittel or something like that, they mentioned he died , I catched the later half of the show ,with the Korean war vet.

Don't expect much from the History channel it's to history what Mcdonald's is to food, it's just for ratings.

So whatever it's a friggin show. Go jerk the turkey and drown the sausage, and get on with life....Beotches! :D

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2005, 03:11:55 AM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
yes dipchit i wrote it.

a man with such a small intelect like yours would stick up for a phag like bruno

You are also "insulting and disrespectful"
and more than likely a Pederast* also (see I can be "insulting and disrespectful" too).

*go to your neighbour house and ask for a dictionnary**.

**with a bit of vocabular you don't need to break rule 7 and bypass profanity filter to insult other player.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2005, 03:17:10 AM by straffo »

Offline Bruno

• Silver Member
      • http://4jg53.org
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2005, 03:45:29 AM »
They did mention a Luftwaffe Pilot named Otto Kittel

Otto 'Bruno' Kittel... Staffelkapitän 2./JG54 - 267 kills credited and top FW experte

Shot down /  killed - luftkampf w.
Il2s in Kurland

Otto Kittel took off to intercept a flight of Russian Il-2 Sturmovik ground-attack aircraft over Dzukste, Kurland. Witnesses say that Kittel dove into a formation of eight of the ground-attack aircraft. He damaged one but it did not go down, instead, disappearing back over the Russian lines, on fire and in serious trouble. Kittel’s Fw 190 A-8 (W.Nr. 960 282) “Black 1” was hit by return fire from the other Il-2s and burst into flames. The aircraft plummeted to earth, trailing a long sheet of flame and smoke, where it crashed. Otto Kittel had no chance to take to his parachute.

Offline SkyWolf

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2005, 08:26:19 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
You have a blinding talent for making people who likes Americans and has many American friends, suddenly begin to rethink the American attitude in regards to the typical snobbiness.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that so many of you are reluctant to put your location in your profile? It would be interesting to have a better idea of who we Americans are offending. Is it just being overly "Internet cautious" or is it because you do not want people to know? I think it's great to "discuss" things with people from different places.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2005, 09:11:26 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
I bow to your obvious display of intellect.

In an instant, with just one sentence, you probably immediately offended and turned every non-American in these boards against you, whom initially remained neutral to this topic. You have a blinding talent for making people who likes Americans and has many American friends, suddenly begin to rethink the American attitude in regards to the typical snobbiness.

Certainly, there is no matching your intelligence when it comes to belittling, offending, cussing, and displaying violent and distasteful non-tolerance to any opinion that does not match your own.

If that can happen though a bulliten board on the internet... I am truely sorry for you and any other reject out there who is affected as you so stated.

Would you like me to break out my viloin?

You offend the US, dont expect me not to sit by and smile at it.

Dont you have a novel to write on ack for aces high?
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.