Author Topic: The community lately....  (Read 2859 times)

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
Re: Re: The community lately....
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2005, 02:31:03 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
I think the issue is pretty clearly defined now that we have a FighterTown in the MA.

There can be absolutely no doubt that players in FT do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay model of the MA.  Players in the FT area are no factor in winning the war. Further, you don't see players in FT posting the non-stop "join my mission" stuff.

OTOH, it seems that the idea of players just "mindlessly furballing" in the FT is anathema to some of the base capture crowd.

It's been pointed out several times that the map can be reset and the war "won" without any bases in FT changing hands.

So why can't the Capture/Reset crowd focus on that aspect of MA gameplay and leave FT out of it?

I'm a furballer; cheerfully admit it. I think this map is the best thing to happen to AH gameplay in (at the minimum) last two years.

The Capture/Reset crowd has a huge 512x512 map to wage their war upon, to enjoy their particular version of gameplay. If they leave FT alone, they do not affect the Furball gameplay in any fashion.

The Furball crowd has a tiny area on that map in which to enjoy their favorite sport. They do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay in any fashion.

By definition, the Furball crowd, confined to a tiny, nearly inaccessible area on the map cannot "grief" the Capture/Reset players.

The converse is not true. The Capture/Reset crowd can and does "grief" the Furball players.

All that is required is for the Capture/Reset players to have some respect for people that choose to furball. That is the crux of the issue.

As for finiding 1v1's, that is precisely what the DA is for. The FT area is for taking any fight that comes your way. Odds don't matter. Plane types don't matter. Only the FIGHT matters. Obviously it's not for everyone. I personally find it the most exciting AH gameplay available. I generally favor the F4F; landing two kills in it after combat in that situation is much more satisfactory than landing 10 kills in a late war plane in the MA or in FT itself.

I go for the challenge. I get shot down a lot. But if you want to improve SA, improve your lead turns, your gunnery, your tactics.... it's the place to go because the action is non-stop.

Sure, there are the players that stay up high using some high performance plane as their crutch and just cherry pick the low fights. There are some elements of the MA, some personality types that will always be with us.

But if you're willing to hang it all out... there's nothing close.

I love it.

Toad, well said! It's a big quote but if some people read it you just might get a clue.... might.

PS... And the word for the day is: anathema    

a·nath·e·ma
n. pl. a·nath·e·mas
1. A formal ecclesiastical ban, curse, or excommunication.
2. A vehement denunciation; a curse: “the sound of a witch's anathemas in some unknown tongue” (Nathaniel Hawthorne).
3. One that is cursed or damned.
4. One that is greatly reviled, loathed, or shunned: “Essentialisma belief in natural, immutable sex differencesis anathema to postmodernists, for whom sexuality itself, along with gender, is a ‘social construct’” (Wendy Kaminer).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:33:55 PM by DipStick »

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2005, 02:36:08 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
you call me Eurofreak morpheus........we were here b4 your country existed.

ROFL, yeah maybe so. But we sure kicked the hell out of you.:lol
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

storch

The community lately....
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2005, 02:48:24 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
you call me Eurofreak morpheus........we were here b4 your country existed.

one day your silly little world will come crashing down around you and I'm glad not many will be there to pick up the pieces for you.
ummm actually BF when the first euros arrived here the socio-economic system consisted of the men hunting, fishing, fighting and procreating while the momen did all the heavy work.  somehow you guys figured you could improve on that system. :D

Offline Vipermann

• Nickel Member
The community lately....
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2005, 02:57:52 PM »
As for finiding 1v1's, that is precisely what the DA is for. The FT area is for taking any fight that comes your way. Odds don't matter.Plane types don't matter  Only the FIGHT matters.

Sure, there are the players that stay up high using some high performance plane as their crutch and just cherry pick the low fights.  There are some elements of the MA, some personality types that will always be with us.

:confused:
Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dieing

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2005, 03:00:16 PM »
The chess-piece loyalty, and single-track focus on winning the war, and proving one's morals or personal integrity, as well as defending one's honor, and that of their squaddies/countrymen is killing the game.

The more you try to make this game just like real life, the less enjoyable it will be. The more seriously you take it, the less enjoyable it becomes for others, as you slowly melt down. When you take a game personally, it's time for you to get some professional help.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
The community lately....
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2005, 03:10:21 PM »
You get back from the game what you put into it, whether it be the ability of your 'flying' based on the time spent learning or the online reputation you gain by how you present yourself in the arenas or on the boards here.

It's about as simple as that.  

How much that matters to you is also up to you.

When push comes to shove, most folks can also recognize that someone's online persona isn't always representative of them as real people.

In the end, I think the majority of people here are good quality people.

I have witnessed in the past six weeks the very best of what the Aces High community has to offer since the loss of two of my kids.  Between folks here and my old Airwarrior friends, I've found a far larger support system then I ever realized I had.

That in itself speaks highly of the people here.  I think it a mistake to make sweeping statements about the decline of the game or the people.  It is, what it is, and again it reflects what we each put into it.

As with any activity, the new kids will reflect the old timers, so it still comes down to each of us deciding how we act and what we'll contribute to what in the end is still just a game.  

I can't control anyone elses actions, but I sure can control mine, so I have to start there and hope that others might do the same.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
The community lately....
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2005, 03:13:17 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
I cant speak for the Bks, but I will say that as good as Levi is in here, hes quite humble. Ive seen worse guys with huge egos.

Absolutely , Levi is the first one to shoot back a . I know first hand that slappy , mars and morph are good guys . I think most people just dont have a sense of humor about this crap and take this game way too seriously. some of the time the BK's get backed into a corner by people and have to respond , and i also think that some of the things that are ment as fun get blown outta perportion .  But then again there's hub.... lol   BK's    ...... 38MAW

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
The community lately....
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2005, 03:13:39 PM »
Cheers Waff .  I agree.  btw, hope to make it back into the air for a bit in a couple weeks.

all, Hap

Offline Howitzer

• Silver Member
The community lately....
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2005, 03:24:35 PM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
Well put waffle.

Although I did take a Hurri MK1 into FT and managed to get 2 kills but I had to call in the rest of the squad to clear my butt so I could land those 2 kills. but thats kinda sad when you have to have the back up of the BOPs just to go land some kills.

I think this is kind of the point we try to drive.  Ask yourself this:  What is so important about landing those kills?  You want the total perk value, to see your name in lights, gratification from your enemies from the scalps you collected?  

The way we fly is we kill the red guys.  If you see more than one of us in the same place, it isn't because we need all of us to kill you, its because ALL of us want to kill you and we find it fun to steal kills from one another.  Sometimes we wing up and assistance is given when it is realized that it is needed, but I don't think I've ever heard a call for help on squad channel.

I think the reason is because we've realized that dying really doesn't mean anything in this game, and if you are unlucky enough to get "pwned" you just take off again and seek revenge.  :aok

Try this sometime, if you see the opportunity, it may just change the way you see the game.  :O

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2005, 03:36:13 PM »
See Rule #5, #4
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 03:43:59 PM by Skuzzy »
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2005, 03:38:07 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 04:07:02 PM by Skuzzy »
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
The community lately....
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2005, 03:59:26 PM »
Whoa, calm down already, BKs.  I don't want this getting more out of hand than it already is.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2005, 04:00:04 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
Whoa, calm down already, BKs.  I don't want this getting more out of hand than it already is.

-- Todd/Leviathn

:huh
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2005, 04:02:07 PM »
Are you kidding me? WTF Todd?
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
The community lately....
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2005, 04:06:31 PM »
Go to the squad forum.  Messages waiting there.

-- Todd/Leviathn