Author Topic: The community lately....  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
The community lately....
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2005, 11:17:01 AM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
wow - I need to go to the track today and place some wagers....I'll hit the daily double for sure...

Figured within 5 post someone would post with something trivial and non-productive..even in elite speak...

Nailed that right on the head.

Waffle, that was sarcasm. The fact that you thought I was serious if the funniest part of this thread. I doubt there is anyone in this game that takes it less seriously than I do, and if there are there arent many.

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
The community lately....
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2005, 11:19:22 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic
this all started when Levi seemed taken aback by animosity to the BK remember.

Taken aback?  I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.  But it is good to see that you, too, have come to enjoy hyperbole as humor.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2005, 11:23:16 AM »
when a few guys who have only been here a while gang on say, morpheus(more than capable of killing up to 4 on 1 at least), and he gets one but the other two shred him say, hows about they enjoyed it and fought hard and only just logged in and then get some spouting on ch200 or PM telling them they should learn to fly, they suck, gangers, hoers whatever......long sentence i realise. (morpheus this is an example not an accusation). Then these players are not going to think much of morpheus, and certainly not note that he was infact flying very well in unfair circumstances.

That fits at least 95% of all AH pilots and squads that I have encounted over the past 4+ years ... BKs' don't own the patent on that.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
The community lately....
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2005, 11:24:28 AM »
I cant speak for the Bks, but I will say that as good as Levi is in here, hes quite humble. Ive seen worse guys with huge egos.

~AoM~

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2005, 11:26:16 AM »
don't be fooled into believing i have learned anything about humour or wit since joining these boards. the only thing i have truly learned from these boards is that some people are just unreachable and unsalvagable.

you may see this as a joke, the whole board and player base, its just a game right? true.

strangely though, i still see this as an excahnge of human cultures and values from around the world. I'm rather a deep person and thinking takes up alot of my time. the mysteries of time are all but broken and forgoten in our finance and power currupt world and so i realise that your way of looking at things will be better for you in the long run.

so i dont know why i feel about things the way i do.

funny to see an easier way of thinking but not feel compelled to think it.

edit: right any how i was just seeine if i could answer to why Levi seemed vexed. obviously i was wrong, im sorry for coming to the wrong conclusions.

no one here needs to speak for leviathn to me, i have nothing against him or any one remember. i also having nothing but the utmost respect for his character and, to be honest, fear of his flying so dont worry there.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 11:31:21 AM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline megadud

• Gold Member
The community lately....
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2005, 11:32:59 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic
don't be fooled into believing i have learned anything about humour or wit since joining these boards. the only thing i have truly learned from these boards is that some people are just unreachable and unsalvagable.

you may see this as a joke, the whole board and player base, its just a game right? true.

strangely though, i still see this as an excahnge of human cultures and values from around the world. I'm rather a deep person and thinking takes up alot of my time. the mysteries of time are all but broken and forgoten in our finance and power currupt world and so i realise that your way of looking at things will be better for you in the long run.

so i dont know why i feel about things the way i do.

funny to see an easier way of thinking but not feel compelled to think it.

damn...that is deep. :eek:

me..i'm shallow, i run the kiddie pool. I don't think anything should be that serious, especially internet BBS. This game is teh roxxor but i will not be serious here so take nothing i say seriously. I HATE you<-wasn't serious.

You da man batfink now that i know some people are "serious" i will respond differently to certian posts sometimes...sometimes :p <-wtf is up with this? :D

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
The community lately....
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2005, 11:33:00 AM »
The first two years I played this game I never even considerd posting on this BB because it was such a brutal place, in my eyes anyway.

I dont think its changed all that much.

Some of the recent "I didnt HO you" posts can IMO have a positive effect.  For years people in the MA lash out for whatever reason.  They often "Attack" other players.  This type of behavior can make the MA a no fun kinda place.  Now there is recourse.  They might find that thier meltdown has been thrust into the public eye.  It, in some cases may actually promote some accountability (sp??).  People may think twice about spewing forth sewege tward another player if they fear public ridacule(sp? again) for thier perspective actions.

Then again mabye I sniffed to much glue today and Im nuts   :lol

Dave

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
The community lately....
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 11:45:14 AM »
I think bat is the one that should back away from the glue. :p

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 11:45:31 AM »
most likely
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 11:50:43 AM »
or get some ass.
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Re: The community lately....
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 11:54:25 AM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
The foolish debate about furballing vs base captures…has to be one of the worst culprits of causing the normally sane, intelligent, well-spoken people of the Aces High COMMUNITY to lose all their facilities and drone on and one about “play my way…)”

I think the issue is pretty clearly defined now that we have a FighterTown in the MA.

There can be absolutely no doubt that players in FT do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay model of the MA.  Players in the FT area are no factor in winning the war. Further, you don't see players in FT posting the non-stop "join my mission" stuff.

OTOH, it seems that the idea of players just "mindlessly furballing" in the FT is anathema to some of the base capture crowd.

It's been pointed out several times that the map can be reset and the war "won" without any bases in FT changing hands.

So why can't the Capture/Reset crowd focus on that aspect of MA gameplay and leave FT out of it?

I'm a furballer; cheerfully admit it. I think this map is the best thing to happen to AH gameplay in (at the minimum) last two years.

The Capture/Reset crowd has a huge 512x512 map to wage their war upon, to enjoy their particular version of gameplay. If they leave FT alone, they do not affect the Furball gameplay in any fashion.

The Furball crowd has a tiny area on that map in which to enjoy their favorite sport. They do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay in any fashion.

By definition, the Furball crowd, confined to a tiny, nearly inaccessible area on the map cannot "grief" the Capture/Reset players.

The converse is not true. The Capture/Reset crowd can and does "grief" the Furball players.

All that is required is for the Capture/Reset players to have some respect for people that choose to furball. That is the crux of the issue.

As for finiding 1v1's, that is precisely what the DA is for. The FT area is for taking any fight that comes your way. Odds don't matter. Plane types don't matter. Only the FIGHT matters. Obviously it's not for everyone. I personally find it the most exciting AH gameplay available. I generally favor the F4F; landing two kills in it after combat in that situation is much more satisfactory than landing 10 kills in a late war plane in the MA or in FT itself.

I go for the challenge. I get shot down a lot. But if you want to improve SA, improve your lead turns, your gunnery, your tactics.... it's the place to go because the action is non-stop.

Sure, there are the players that stay up high using some high performance plane as their crutch and just cherry pick the low fights. There are some elements of the MA, some personality types that will always be with us.

But if you're willing to hang it all out... there's nothing close.

I love it.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline pellik

• Nickel Member
Re: Re: The community lately....
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2005, 12:01:28 PM »
Originally posted by Toad
I think the issue is pretty clearly defined now that we have a FighterTown in the MA.

There can be absolutely no doubt that players in FT do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay model of the MA.  Players in the FT area are no factor in winning the war. Further, you don't see players in FT posting the non-stop "join my mission" stuff.

OTOH, it seems that the idea of players just "mindlessly furballing" in the FT is anathema to some of the base capture crowd.

It's been pointed out several times that the map can be reset and the war "won" without any bases in FT changing hands.

So why can't the Capture/Reset crowd focus on that aspect of MA gameplay and leave FT out of it?

I'm a furballer; cheerfully admit it. I think this map is the best thing to happen to AH gameplay in (at the minimum) last two years.

The Capture/Reset crowd has a huge 512x512 map to wage their war upon, to enjoy their particular version of gameplay. If they leave FT alone, they do not affect the Furball gameplay in any fashion.

The Furball crowd has a tiny area on that map in which to enjoy their favorite sport. They do not affect the Capture/Reset gameplay in any fashion.

By definition, the Furball crowd, confined to a tiny, nearly inaccessible area on the map cannot "grief" the Capture/Reset players.

The converse is not true. The Capture/Reset crowd can and does "grief" the Furball players.

All that is required is for the Capture/Reset players to have some respect for people that choose to furball. That is the crux of the issue.

As for finiding 1v1's, that is precisely what the DA is for. The FT area is for taking any fight that comes your way. Odds don't matter. Plane types don't matter. Only the FIGHT matters. Obviously it's not for everyone. I personally find it the most exciting AH gameplay available. I generally favor the F4F; landing two kills in it after combat in that situation is much more satisfactory than landing 10 kills in a late war plane in the MA or in FT itself.

I go for the challenge. I get shot down a lot. But if you want to improve SA, improve your lead turns, your gunnery, your tactics.... it's the place to go because the action is non-stop.

Sure, there are the players that stay up high using some high performance plane as their crutch and just cherry pick the low fights. There are some elements of the MA, some personality types that will always be with us.

But if you're willing to hang it all out... there's nothing close.

I love it.

Did you intend this to be an example of thread hijacking?

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2005, 12:11:06 PM »
Ok this is going to sound bad but here goes.

This game is more of a mmorpg than people tink. I am willing to bet 90% of the people who play and post would't be so abbrasive if not for the anonimity . Think about it you log in and you instantly become a ww2 pilot. Now i'm not sure but i think it has been said that the best fighter pilots tend to be agresive and  very self confidant. That being said add in almost total anonimity [sp there is that word again:D ] and thise traits get boosted 10x.
I'm not sure but i think shane once wrote "Shane only exists in AH".

Now as far as the BKs go .
1 I've asked Levi for help with contacting someone and got a fast cortious reply .
2 I ran into dud briefly in the da for all of 10 min. I asked for a quick duel  he beat me in about 5 or 6 turns. I got a salute  and "nice fight" from him.
None of this so called you suck learn to fly crap i keep reading about.
Now i have only run into the BK 2 times but if this is condesending send more please. I am looking forward to running into the rest of them.

Bronk
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 12:13:57 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
The community lately....
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2005, 12:30:10 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
I'm not sure but i think shane once wrote "Shane only exists in AH".

Now as far as the BKs go .
1 I've asked Levi for help with contacting someone and got a fast cortious reply .
2 I ran into dud briefly in the da for all of 10 min. I asked for a quick duel  he beat me in about 5 or 6 turns. I got a salute  and "nice fight" from him.
None of this so called you suck learn to fly crap i keep reading about.
Now i have only run into the BK 2 times but if this is condesending send more please. I am looking forward to running into the rest of them.

Bronk

That's right... i'm so quotable.  ;)

for the real eye-opener... you have to make distinctions bewteen the various arenas and forums.  In the DA i'm nothing like I am in say the MA or CT. On the forums I can be a mixed bag, but in general pretty low-key.  

That's the problem with many, they fail to make distinctions between how someone is in a very competitive game and how someone may be in a forum where the written word cannot convey tones as well as in person, the the actual in-person poepl behind their "online personae."

It's a game. A very competitive game vs (supposedly) other poepl. In any game in the world you will find various types of players who don various game faces, some humble, some loud and brash and some merely content to sit on the bench quietly.

Personally, once i hit the quit keys everyone in game ceases to exist to a large extent, except for the carryover to the forums; I treat the forums as a distinct, seperate entity from the in game play with the occasional spillover.

Many people in game as well as on the forums need to butch up a little is all. No one ever forces a response from someone on either ch200/2/whatever, or in any of the forums.  Can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
The community lately....
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2005, 12:50:38 PM »
Originally posted by Morpheus
or get some ass.

are you kidding?

only just ended a 3 year relationship the last thingi need is ass.   spending quality time with yourself should never be underestimated :D