Author Topic: Furballers Vs. Toolshedders  (Read 12465 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Furballers Vs. Toolshedders
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2005, 06:14:41 PM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
Widewing and Tony have both posted dispersion figures for these guns.  At 800 yards range they are huge.
I'd be interested to know how huge the dispersion would be, so that I could work out the maximum spread angle, and ascertain the probability of a round finding the target at a range of 800yds. Do you have any links?
people were killing planes from 800 yards or farther
doubtful, on a regular basis. I'm not disputing the 1-hit lucky pings, I'm talking about shearing wings off at 800yds as a matter of routine. When I have those dispersion links, I'll be able to work out the percentage of rounds that would find the target in the 800yd scenario.
I am no rifle shot but even with open sights I could hit something as big as an ac at 800 yards with a .50...
Well duh! You're talking about standing still with a rifle, firing at a stationary target. Obviously a weapon like that would not have dispersion built into it. Machine guns on WW2 fighter planes clearly did, for the reasons I have given.

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2005, 06:17:27 PM »
:lol
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #272 on: October 30, 2005, 09:51:59 PM »
Originally posted by lazs2
thunder... that is my point... it is sour grapes... "I'm not good at it so it is senseless"

see what we are getting at?

Let me just tell you that to survive and get kills in that "swarm of knats" is the biggest strain on your abilities and SA and is the most fun per minute you can have in this game.... If you die before you get to participate it is addmittedly not very fun but...

I think most of us furballers just got angry and determined... we died hundreds of times and just took it till we got better... and we did get better... I see some of the new guys going through this all the time.   Even when you get really good (I am not) there is an infinite amount of variables in every furball.   Every furball is a new experiance... try to see it from that standpoint...

doing nothing for 20 minutes or more at a time kinda pales after you get a little skill in the ol furball.   Chatting about your uncles new bike or klinton or whatever pales compared to hearing 5 six calls and all the chatter about "watch him"  "lala on you break left"  "watch the spit"  "got him!"  "i'm hit"  etc.. in rapid fire.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Nope, lazs, YOU are still missing the point.  We don't think that it's the be-all and end-all of our AH experience, therefore WE DON'T TAKE THE TIME TO GET GOOD AT IT.

Some of your furballsy friends complain that they "need" bases close together because of their limited time to play, right?  Well, those of us that enjoy more than one aspect of the AH experience also have limited time.  Since we spend some of our time doing other stuff, we don't get the furball time you do, and so you have more experience, and are therefore better at furballing than we are.

If that makes you feel good, I am glad.  Now go back to your corner and SIT DOWN.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #273 on: October 30, 2005, 09:55:37 PM »
Originally posted by WMLute

So not only is it do-able, we did it.

(

Yes, you did! And a good time was had by all!  And you made us revisit our tactics when taking heavily defended fields.

Sometimes, when you go bear hunting, the bear wins.

:)

Offline Morpheus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #274 on: October 30, 2005, 10:05:29 PM »
zOMFG shubert your location is teh crazy!!!11eoneoneone!111

OMFG QUAH!!!!WOOOOOOWOOOOO!!!!
If you don't receive Jesus Christ, you don't receive the gift of righteousness.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #275 on: October 31, 2005, 07:10:45 AM »
no shubie... you are missing the point... most of you strat girls spend more time playing than anyone....  it is just that you waste your time.

Either out of fear of looking bad or because you can't afford a joystick or lack of hand eye coordination or maybe just lazy with no will... who knows?  you spend countless hours... doing nothing but....

chatting..

if you spent half as much time fighting other players as you do sneaking up on toolsheds and chatting... you would be a decent fight in the ma.

And beet... I may not be able to aim an mp5 (9mm sub gun) and hit a man sized target at 300 yards in semi auto but... I bet I could hit it with a 75 round drum shooting from the hip on full auto... especially with tracers.

you admit that guys did hit targets at 800 yards and further... you admit that they could hit em pretty regular at 3 or 400... you admit we have thousands of more hours practice and no real stress... why is it hard to believe we might get pings a lot of the time out to 800 yards?

lazs

Offline Blammo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #276 on: October 31, 2005, 07:41:58 AM »
I bet I could hit it with a 75 round drum shooting from the hip on full auto... especially with tracers.

I'd take that bet...full auto at 300 yards?  If you didn't hit with the first shot, you wouldn't hit at all.
BLAMM0 - FACTA, NON VERBA!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2005, 08:02:07 AM »
You couldn't walk the rounds in?   in 75 rounds with a wussie recoiling 9 mm?

Never actually tried it but did it easy enough at 100 yards.  and once on... was easy to stay on.  that was with a 30 round stick too. I was surprised that the cops there couldn't do it tho.

lazs

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #278 on: October 31, 2005, 08:38:50 AM »
you admit that guys did hit targets at 800 yards and further... you admit that they could hit em pretty regular at 3 or 400... you admit we have thousands of more hours practice and no real stress... why is it hard to believe we might get pings a lot of the time out to 800 yards?
Most of the WW2 pilots made no attempt to get hits at 800 yards. Why? Because they knew they'd be wasting their ammo. As OldMan has tried to explain, the dispersion at such a range would be absolutely huge.  And cannon rounds simply would not fly that far. .50 cals were better.

Remember how the gunnery was in WB 2.7x? You had to close to 300 yards or less, or else you were simply wasting your ammo - whatever the plane or ammo type.

I've just scanned through Gabreski's book, and found a couple of instances where he got kills at 300-400yds. Remember, the fact that he got hits at all was, as with any other pilot, because dispersion was built into the 8x.50cals so that he wouldn't have to aim his plane to within fractions of a degree, as explained in my previous posts. But that same dispersion at 800yds would result in an overall target area so large that only lucky pings would hit the target - not enough to bring it down.

Gabreski also mentions how some of his bogeys broke up after they'd been "done", with fragments from those doomed planes almost hitting Gabby's P47. Surely you can tell from that how close he was. Erich Hartmann liked to get so close to his quarry that it filled his windscreen.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #279 on: October 31, 2005, 09:02:54 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
I'd be interested to know how huge the dispersion would be, so that I could work out the maximum spread angle, and ascertain the probability of a round finding the target at a range of 800yds. Do you have any links?  

These are the two threads I was thinking about.  It was Widewing and Batz, not Widewing and Tony.

The first thread:  http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=75835&referrerid=4533

The thread that has the actual USAAF test results:  http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=106275&referrerid=4533

- oldman

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
For Lazs...
« Reply #280 on: October 31, 2005, 09:06:54 AM »
...and Lazs, one other thing. I've just done some more calculations, and can tell you that doubling the range of the target results in a dispersion pattern four times larger. At 200yds, your dispersion pattern would be focused in a reasonably small area. But at 800yds, that dispersion pattern would in theory be 16 times larger. I say "in theory" because of course at such a long range, loss of kinetic energy and bullet drop would come into play. I'd say that at 800yds, you'd be lucky to get one twentieth as many rounds on target as you could at 200yds, and even then their energy would be much less.

Is it finally becoming clear why 800yds wing shear offs are total BS? And forget the comparison where you're in a firing range - with your rifle barrel resting on sandbags as you take careful aim? Apples and oranges.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: October 31, 2005, 09:27:31 AM »
Originally posted by DipStick
Just as soon take a real azzwhoppin'. Bore me to tears... how can you people do that?

Beet still arguing about a game you haven't even played in a year or more... get a life.

because i enjoy th fantasy that i am flying with a squad in ww2.

imagination is a gift dip, dont worry if you are a plain person you wont get it.

i mean come on, its not like you're even much of a threat to anyone in a furball, try a different game for a few hours, see d you have fun.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline SuperDud

• Platinum Member
« Reply #282 on: October 31, 2005, 11:57:41 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic

imagination is a gift dip, dont worry if you are a plain person you wont get it.

i mean come on, its not like you're even much of a threat to anyone in a furball, try a different game for a few hours, see d you have fun.

LoL, nice bait!
SuperDud
++Blue Knights++

Offline DipStick

• Gold Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #283 on: October 31, 2005, 12:59:08 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic

I 'imagine' you're dumber than you look but carry on or I'll have to puffy your eye!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #284 on: October 31, 2005, 01:06:49 PM »
Originally posted by DipStick
I 'imagine' you're dumber than you look but carry on or I'll have to puffy your eye!

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :cry
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.