Author Topic: What do you guys think of Lieberman, is his being Jewish an issue?  (Read 3905 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
I would like to ask you fellows, being generally conservative, what you think of Gore's VP choice, Senator Joseph Lieberman.

I don't want a flame war here, what I'm curious about is whether we agree with the pudits that his religion, Orthadox Jewish, is going to be an negative to voters.  Will he be rejected because he is a Jew?

I personally have more faith in the American people than that.  I think that if he is rejected, he'll be rejected on issues not his religion.  Those that wouldn't vote for Gore because of his VPs religion would not vote for Gore anyway, I think. (They'd probably vote for Buchanan  )

Thanks, and please, no Left vs. Right flames.

Sisu
-Karnak
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
What do you guys think of Lieberman, is his being Jewish an issue?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2000, 01:25:00 PM »
I think its a tactic to distant himself(Gore) from Clinton since Lieberman was the first democrat to stand up and say that Clinton should be impeached.

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2000, 01:32:00 PM »
This decision will cost Gore the election.
How many "ethnic" presidents or vice-presidents have held office?

…still thinking?  

If Gore had an unbeatable lead in the polls he could probably take the hit but in this case it's not gonna happen.

He should have picked someone like Kerry who not only looks presidential but actually has some brains as well.

Also, he's from Massachusetts!  

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2000, 01:59:00 PM »
Lieberman is ok in my book.

I have no use for Al Gore in any event.

Yeager
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2000, 04:31:00 PM »
Here's my take, stick with it it takes a min to tell...

Last thursday I did some checking of domain names.  I tried www.gorelieberman.com  and nothing showed up.  I then tried www.goreedwards.com  and sure enough the domain was there, but there wasn't a web page yet.

Here's what I think happened.  Edwards was Gore's original pick, until one of Gore's campain idiots says It won't be Lieberman because he's Jewish.  Well at that point Gore has no choice but to change his mind, after all he doesn't want anybody thinking he hates Jews.  If you ask me though, Edwards is a closer match to Gore, he's a trail lawyer.

This may sound synical, but I realy think this is what happened. Side note, there still is no www.gorelieberman.com  domain, but the www.goreedwards.com  domain is still up but with no web page.

Also there's the added benifit for gore of being able to label the whole Republican party as anti-symite. Other than that I don't think his being and orthodox Jew matters.  At least it shouldn't...

Udie

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2000, 04:34:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ripsnort:
I think its a tactic to distant himself(Gore) from Clinton since Lieberman was the first democrat to stand up and say that Clinton should be impeached.

Yes but how did he vote in the Senate trial?  

Udie

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
His being Jewish won't be an issue.  If he was selected because he was Jewish will be.

AKDejaVu

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2000, 05:40:00 PM »
I think it has horrific prospects for any hope of Mid-East Peace accord.  This will make the palestinians believe that no matter what the U.S. will support and be in favor of Isreal.  The Pallistinians won't ever think they can get a fair deal and won't accept any peace terms.

War will continue in the Mid East.

We can be assured that no Neo-Nazis will assisnate Gore.

I really don't care that Gore picks a Jewish VP but it will certainly cause ripples internationally at a delicate time.

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2000, 06:11:00 PM »
I hate him already.

Almost as much as I despise Gore, or loathe Bush and his other extremist cronie.

Duma for president! Free Loose Rivets to the people! Bread and entertainment!

Bush: "StSanta, do you know why there are Christians?"

StSanta: "Even lions get hungry"

<tadaboom>

------------------
StSanta
JG54 "Grünherz"
"If you died a stones throw from your wingie; you did no wrong". - Hangtime

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2000, 06:40:00 PM »
Hmmmm... Duma?

I think we'd have to radically change our constitution for that to take place.  Besides.. there is only so much dry British humor I can stand  I think hearing it from the President would downright push me over the edge!

AKDejaVu

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2000, 12:29:00 AM »
I think Clinton's choise for Veep for Gore is excellent to gain the few percentage points needed by a carpetbagger!!!

Offline Cabby

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2000, 05:44:00 AM »
Quote:

"or loathe Bush and his other extremist cronie."  

Cheney an "extremist"??  LOL!!!  What's "extremist" is your statement.

Actually, either of the VP Nominees would make a  better President than Bush or Gore.  The fact that Lieberman(The Weathervane) is an Orthodox Jew should be a non-issue.  But you can bet the farm that the race-baiting Liberal Media will try to make a big deal out of it.  Funny how the Media, which doesn't give a flip about Religion except for an occasional Pope story, will turn  Lieberman's faith into a "controversy".

As for the Palestinian issue, F'em.  In America, we don't care what your Religion is(even loopy Liberals who worship crystals, pop stars, etc.)and if that fact pisses off the Palestinians, too bad.

Cabby

[This message has been edited by cabby (edited 08-08-2000).]
Six: "Come on Cabbyshack, let's get some!"

Offline Macchi

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2000, 06:31:00 AM »
Lol,
what has your religion to do with that? Do you wanna show us USA is an anti semitic country?
So much for your big words about the "only" free society.
Maybe we should start a discussion how much anti semitism is a global problem and not a national.

Macchi

[This message has been edited by Macchi (edited 08-08-2000).]

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2000, 07:29:00 AM »
I am not an Anti-Semite, I just believe that the Palastinians will look at a Jewish VP and say. NO PEACE, the U.S. Will support Isreal and we can't get justice.

Lieberman may be an honest decent hardworking person with no hidden agendas.

Recently CLinton's bid for a Nobel Peace Prize fell through.  I think that headway was gained.  I believe with a Jewish VP will be extremely difficult to build on any momentum what ever in this area. (Not that there is much, or any even.)

I really don't care what religion he is, I was thinking internationally. I believe that he would have gotten better international coverage from a Black VP.  A Jewish one when the Isreali/Palastinian/Mid-East Peace is so fragile is just poor timing.

Not that I think Gore will win.

How about Cheney/Greenspan?

or James Baker/Dick Cheney?

Or James Baker/Collin Powell?

Or Collin Powell/Alan Greenspan?

------------------

"Downtown" Lincoln Brown.
    lkbrown1@tir.com    
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Wrecking Crews "Drag and Die Guy"
Hals und beinbruch!

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2000, 07:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Udie:

Yes but how did he vote in the Senate trial?  

Udie

Ya, just caught that on the news last night, I guess he's a turncoat, constantly changing his mind.  He supposedly Pro-gun....