Author Topic: F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4  (Read 3745 times)

Offline Bingo73

• Copper Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2006, 07:23:12 AM »
I guess I just don't see what all the tears are about.
You take a big plane, put in a really big engine swinging a 13' prop and some bent wings that have a pretty good shape and it's gonna go fast and be pretty dang manuverable.
Seems to me that this is becoming more and more of a "my uber spit aint so uber anymore!" thread.

Course I'm just a noob in a 38. I get killed by spits all the time. What do I know?

Bingo73
475th FG
"Satan's Angels"

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2006, 09:08:23 AM »
I had a good laugh out of this thread because I can't tell a difference in the performance at all.  The hog has and will always be great plane for certain situations.  I have flown the hog quite a bit and once a person learns the stall characteristics, and masters some of the advantages the hog has, the rest is just manipulation of the angles and speeds.  I do like that because of this thread I am seeing quite a bit more hogs in the air,  which usually mean easy kills for me.  Wetrat is a great stick in the 4-hog btw creton left him out.  And one more thing I would like to chime in on, the dropping of the gear is very overrated.  One will get more performance from knowing the amount of flaps to deploy at the right time rather than dropping gear every engagement.  I kill many hogs with their gear deployed trying to outturn when its really all about the angles.:aok

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2006, 10:46:12 AM »
BTW, as for the -1d turning rate.  I my honest opinion, I hate the 1d for turn fighting.  I believe the -1 is a much better turner and its faster and it has alot more range.  I also surprised that the -1 has a ENY of 40.  -1 is second fastest F4u next to the -4.  U only have to load 75% fuel in it to go 4 sectors away and back with some to spare.  U get 40 mins of flight time with that.  I also like that fuel setting because if I get hit in main fuel tank,  I still get 25% in the wings to get me home.  The other f4u's only have main I believe.  

As far as manevability of the hog, its still the same even after the patch.  I been flying that hog now for at least 6 tours straight and I haven't really noticed anything different except for all the uber spits are easier to kill because people haven't learned there new flight model.  I forget who it was but I had a la7 try to out dive me from 18k and manev at those speeds.  We were doing close to 575mph + and I caught him and killed him.  Same with the me262.  I can catch those boys in a dive.  The hog if flown right can pull out of a 550+mph dive and not break and still manuever to a degree.  I believe it was Kreacher who tried to out run my hog in his la7 and after I killed him is said BS!, hehehehe.
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2006, 11:57:47 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
I had a good laugh out of this thread because I can't tell a difference in the performance at all.  The hog has and will always be great plane for certain situations.  I have flown the hog quite a bit and once a person learns the stall characteristics, and masters some of the advantages the hog has, the rest is just manipulation of the angles and speeds.  I do like that because of this thread I am seeing quite a bit more hogs in the air,  which usually mean easy kills for me.  Wetrat is a great stick in the 4-hog btw creton left him out.  And one more thing I would like to chime in on, the dropping of the gear is very overrated.  One will get more performance from knowing the amount of flaps to deploy at the right time rather than dropping gear every engagement.  I kill many hogs with their gear deployed trying to outturn when its really all about the angles.:aok

I didnt leave him out at all.I havent dueled him or even run into him in the main arena.If I would've he'd been on my list ,although dunno what order.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2006, 04:28:45 PM »
Originally posted by MwDogg
BTW, as for the -1d turning rate.  I my honest opinion, I hate the 1d for turn fighting.  I believe the -1 is a much better turner and its faster and it has alot more range.  I also surprised that the -1 has a ENY of 40.  -1 is second fastest F4u next to the -4.  U only have to load 75% fuel in it to go 4 sectors away and back with some to spare.  U get 40 mins of flight time with that.  I also like that fuel setting because if I get hit in main fuel tank,  I still get 25% in the wings to get me home.  The other f4u's only have main I believe.  

As far as manevability of the hog, its still the same even after the patch.  I been flying that hog now for at least 6 tours straight and I haven't really noticed anything different except for all the uber spits are easier to kill because people haven't learned there new flight model.  I forget who it was but I had a la7 try to out dive me from 18k and manev at those speeds.  We were doing close to 575mph + and I caught him and killed him.  Same with the me262.  I can catch those boys in a dive.  The hog if flown right can pull out of a 550+mph dive and not break and still manuever to a degree.  I believe it was Kreacher who tried to out run my hog in his la7 and after I killed him is said BS!, hehehehe.
Dogg you know I likey the 1 but you need give D a second look.  It has more power when needed than the 1.  Although if you check my tours I have just recently been flying the D.  I had forgotten some of the advantages over the 1.  Still the 1 is an easy sell for the perkies alone, huh!

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2006, 12:38:42 PM »
hey people.. i dont know if anyone had already asked, but whats the difference between the real F4U-1A and F4U-1D? they seem to look the same. im guessing its the engine.. but if it is the engine, what exactly did vought change about it?
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2006, 01:10:58 PM »
Originally posted by SgtPappy
hey people.. i dont know if anyone had already asked, but whats the difference between the real F4U-1A and F4U-1D? they seem to look the same. im guessing its the engine.. but if it is the engine, what exactly did vought change about it?

for starters:

F4U-1   birdcage canopy, single DT, no rkt mounts  wiing tanks,

F4U-1A ( AH2 does not have this bird ) had introduction of Bubble canopy

F4U-1D   bubble canopy, option of 2 DTs, heaveier ordnance load out including rockets, no wing tanks, is heavier.......
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2006, 01:51:18 PM »
Originally posted by TequilaChaser
F4U-1A ( AH2 does not have this bird ) had introduction of Bubble canopy

Heya TC,

Our F4U-1C is basically a re-gunned late run F4U-1A. It has the wing tanks, but being built near the end of the F4U-1A run, it has the same R2800-8W engine as the F4U-1D.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2006, 04:18:08 PM »
o wait... the F4U-1A has a R-2800-8 and the -1D and -1C have the R-2800-8W? what's the difference between the 2 engines?

P.S. it'd be great to see the F4U-4C and the F6F-5N in the next installment if any.. WOW thatd be fun
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #84 on: May 05, 2006, 05:36:56 PM »
Originally posted by SgtPappy
o wait... the F4U-1A has a R-2800-8 and the -1D and -1C have the R-2800-8W? what's the difference between the 2 engines?

P.S. it'd be great to see the F4U-4C and the F6F-5N in the next installment if any.. WOW thatd be fun

Early F4U-1As had the R2800-8, while later F4U-1As were powered by the R2800-8W. The W indicates Water Injection.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #85 on: May 05, 2006, 07:57:12 PM »
oo i see.. thanks Widewing
I am a Spitdweeb

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #86 on: May 05, 2006, 08:22:26 PM »
Strangely the F4U-1A and -1D have the same R-2800-8W but as the war progressed the HP rating continued to increase for a variety of reasons.

The early R2800-8 was rated at 2,000HP with no ADI

The F4U-1A we have is based on the first -8W at 2135HP

The F4U-1D we have is rated at 2250HP and the last of the F4U-1D's were rated up until 2300HP at sea level with RAM.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2006, 09:25:53 AM »
Later F4U-1A's also introduced the paddle prop which improved climb and acceleration. FD's charts for those stats are positively drool-worthy for the early Hogs (What was it, about 3500 fpm sustained climb through 10k on WEP?).

*kICKS AND SCREAMS* I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!!!! *Starts holding breath*
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2006, 09:53:13 AM »
Saxman,

Not quite that high on the F4U-1/1D but over 3K per minute above 10K at 12,000LBS.

I have one NAVAER Standard Aircraft performance Characteristic chart that had the top speed without underwing Pylons listed as 367MPH at Sea Level and 434MPH at 20K on the F4U-1D. It is dated mid 1944. Climb is listed slightly better than what we have now.

I have just received a bunch of stuff from the National Archives in DC and then turned around and drove to the National archives in MD and lost half of what I got in DC. I wanted to cry. AnywayI still have some great stuff.

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
F4u-u1/1d/1c/u4
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2006, 05:43:50 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
Later F4U-1A's also introduced the paddle prop which improved climb and acceleration. FD's charts for those stats are positively drool-worthy for the early Hogs (What was it, about 3500 fpm sustained climb through 10k on WEP?).

*kICKS AND SCREAMS* I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT! I WANT IT!!!! *Starts holding breath*

Saxman, you have been around way long enough to know that the kicking and screaming DONT work. An HITECh likes it when we hold our breath, cause he knows we will pass out and he can go back to doing his coad stuff.
just ddint wanna loose another stick to the "im holding my breath option"
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!