Author Topic: Question to the furballers.  (Read 1955 times)

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
Question to the furballers.
« Reply #60 on: June 01, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Ohh, you have different flower each tour?
What's wrong with flowers then? :)

photo (C) wasq
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline Panzzer

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2006, 04:22:38 PM »
Originally posted by Bronk
Cuz the MA doesn't claim to be historically accurate...unlike the Holy
accurate AvA.

Bronk
So, you would like to have another non-historical furball arena then? With the current AvA, all fronts are missing some significant planes. Late war Western Europe is the best represented, but it would get boring soon to have only one setup to run...

edit: can't resist.. must say... the Brewster Model 239 to Aces High! :D
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 04:28:19 PM by Panzzer »
Panzzer - Lentorykmentti 3

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2006, 04:26:06 PM »
Originally posted by Panzzer
What's wrong with flowers then? :)
Absolutely nothing. I love flowers. :rofl

screenshot (C) Eskimo2

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2006, 04:29:27 PM »
So, you would like to have another non-historical furball arena then? With the current AvA, all fronts are missing some significant planes. Late war Western Europe is the best represented, but it would get boring soon to have only one setup to run...

No but when a plane that was available it should become available .
Ohh and to Grits the times i fly in the AvA .I have usually jumped to the side with the smaller number and have to jump back to even it out. I don't really die when my cartoon plane is shot down so i don't care what I fly against.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2006, 04:37:49 PM »
has the name calling begun yet?  

hap:noid

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2006, 04:39:53 PM »
Regarding how interesting the fights can be....

Yak9U vs 109G2-G6 is propably one of the most even matchups there is...

Currently both sides can have the BnZ and TnB "advantages" as the setup is so well ballanced... infact alot matchups like the 9U vs G2 dont have a distinct style advantage...

Today has been the day with the best fights in months.

Tex

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2006, 06:39:23 PM »
Cuz the MA doesn't claim to be historically accurate...unlike the Holy
accurate AvA.

Bronk

Go ahead dig up when and where then current AvA staff made claim that all sets will be 100% historically accurate 100% of the time while always catering to a LW squads whims and wishes. I'll settle if you can find where its even implied.

Assumtions, personal bias, baseless accusations, and lies. You guys consider that a valid argument?

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: June 01, 2006, 06:49:16 PM »
No but when a plane that was available it should become available .
Ohh and to Grits the times i fly in the AvA .I have usually jumped to the side with the smaller number and have to jump back to even it out. I don't really die when my cartoon plane is shot down so i don't care what I fly against.

I dont know why you say that, I've never said anything about how you fly. I'm not an Axis or Allied player either, my squad exists to switch sides so we can help keep things even. Because of that, I and the other members of my squad, probably get to see more clearly the good and bad side of setups in the AvA from a plane performance and balance of play point of view.

I am clearly not making myself understood, so I will try one more time.

The AvA has never said it was the Historic or nothing arena, we (Im only a player, not staff) have always had to fudge here and there to make things play well even if its not 100% accurate. The old PAC setups before the Ki84 are a good example, the Axis were SERIOUSLY overmatched, and as a result those setups, if not empty for that week, there were very very low numbers even when we gave the A6M5 in place of the A6M3. In the ETO there are fudges, like the FM2-Brewster sub (which I absolutely HATE just for the record) that is not a great sub historicly, but it does PLAY well. We used to have to use the 16+ boosted SpitV in '41 because its all we had, and the setups played TERRIBLE. The UberBoosted SpitV made it impossible to have a balanced '41-early '42 setup which was one of the best. There are many many others where a little give made things much more playable.

There are also several planes, not just the Spit XVI, that dont get regular use in setups because they throw playbalance off, like the C-hog, 262 and the Tempest. There aare also many times where we use Allied planes before that model was really in use because its all we have. The F4U-1 is used in late '43 even though its flight model is actually an F4U-1a from '44. The P-47D-11 is used in place of the P-47C. The F6F-5 is used in place of the F6F-3. Before we got the P-38J we used the L in its place. We also use the 109F-4 in place of earlier 109F's. We use the 110C for earlier versions of that model. We use the 190A-5 in place of the 190A-3. We make lots of concessions because of gaps in the planeset, but the key is, none of those have disasterous impacts on playability (fun).

The bottom line is, wether you like it or not, if a particular plane causes the arena to be empty because it makes for poor gameplay you are not going to see that plane very often. What good would it do to have a perfectly accurate AvA where nobody played because the setup sucked?

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #68 on: June 01, 2006, 07:12:33 PM »
So, you would like to have another non-historical furball arena then?

I'm not speaking for anyone else but...yeah.

Give me an arena where all propellor planes are enabled except those with 4 engines. Take out all ground targets and strats (or harden them by 100,000X). Take out all ordinance, troops and field acks too. Disable all GVs and make all bases in a circle with about a 30 mile diameter. An RPS would be interesting but not a requirement.

You did ask :D

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
Re: Question to the furballers.
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2006, 07:44:52 PM »
Originally posted by TexMurphy

What I dont understand is why dont you guys just play in the AvA instead of the MA????

I think a big part of it is people still want to be part of the overall community, and that community lives in the MA.
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline Platano

• Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2006, 10:05:18 PM »
Originally posted by Edbert1
I'm not speaking for anyone else but...yeah.

Give me an arena where all propellor planes are enabled except those with 4 engines. Take out all ground targets and strats (or harden them by 100,000X). Take out all ordinance, troops and field acks too. Disable all GVs and make all bases in a circle with about a 30 mile diameter. An RPS would be interesting but not a requirement.

You did ask :D

Umm thats what the MA is for...you want to be able to fight off hordes of every plane in there is than stay in the MA..
Army of Muppets

Fly Luftwaffe.

Offline Edbert1

• Silver Member
      • http://www.edbert.net
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »
Originally posted by Platano
Umm thats what the MA is for...you want to be able to fight off hordes of every plane in there is than stay in the MA..

With all due respect...have you ever been in the MA? I ask becuase the MA is NOTHING like what I posted, it hasn't been since soon after beta.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2006, 08:18:15 AM »
I would like to have seen the CT go by era and not be an AvA arena...  I would like the planes divided into eras based on performance and either side could chose any plane in the era... a FM2 could fight another FM2 or a spit 5 or a 109e or P40 ... next era you might see a spit 8/9 fight another spit 8/9 or a 109g or a hog... last would be all the uber fast planes.

I would love a CT (now AvA) arena like that with 30 or so guys on..

I would not like it to be 5 or 6 guys against 6 or 8 guys all from one squad.  that is boring... the squad becomes a mini horde in the AvA in my experiance...  even if the numbers are even... they are not... the squad players function as a team and they pick off the individuals on the other side.

That and the boring planesets make the ava a place that I don't go to very often... also, while a lot of the guys are pretty mature... some of the egos are a tad fragile..  Gawd knows I have wound a few of em up to the snapping point...

I have seen some really good planesets when a tour starts out but... people in the ava get into a grove pretty quickly and start using the planes available in only a very narrow performance window pretty quickly... the fights become predictable in the extreme.   High LW rides and teamwork versus agil and low allied individuals.

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2006, 08:40:18 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
I have seen some really good planesets when a tour starts out but... people in the ava get into a grove pretty quickly and start using the planes available in only a very narrow performance window pretty quickly... the fights become predictable in the extreme.   High LW rides and teamwork versus agil and low allied individuals.

Certainly no one wants to force people to fly in the AvA.  But just out of idle curiosity, now that you've said why you don't like AvA, why is it that you prefer to fly in MA?

- oldman

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2006, 09:12:49 AM »
oldman... I do get to fight allied planes in the MA when I am in an allied plane...  I am able to move to another area (most of the time) that is not so bad when a group/horde/squad is harvesting an area and it is really bad.    I fly at times when numbers are up... if there is a CV... I get a good earlyu war fight for about 10 minutes to an hour before some lemming kills the light bulb fragil thing.

All agianst different players in non AvA planests... I really think AvA planesets are boring.  Even the dullest amoung us learn to use them in the narrow ways they can be used agianst the narrow ways of the enemy in very short order.

making it non AvA multiplies the variety expotentialy.

But... I am just saying what is wrong in my opinion which is much easier than doing the actual work.   A lot of work goes into those setups.   I would suggest that those who are offended by my analysis simply ignore what I have to say and figure out some other reason why the AvA is on life support...  I would suggest that they listen to the few guys who have a vested interest in keeping it AvA and are at least keeping it alive..

lazs