Author Topic: Cheney sued in CIA identity case  (Read 2523 times)

Offline xrtoronto

• Platinum Member
Cheney sued in CIA identity case
« on: July 13, 2006, 04:31:07 PM »
A former CIA officer whose identity was leaked to the media is suing US Vice-President Dick Cheney.

Valerie Plame is suing Mr Cheney, his ex-aide Lewis Libby and presidential adviser Karl Rove, saying they tried to destroy her career.

Ms Plame's name appeared in the media in 2003 after her husband criticised the Bush government over Iraq.

Her husband, ex-US ambassador Joseph Wilson, who is also suing, had said the US twisted intelligence to go to war.

Mr Libby has been charged with perjury and obstructing justice in connection with the leak. He has resigned pending trial but denies the charges.

It was revealed last month that Mr Rove would not be charged over the leak.

'Punishment'

Ms Plame's name appeared in an article written by columnist Robert Novak about a week after Mr Wilson made his criticisms of the government in the New York Times.

The CIA had sent Mr Wilson to Niger in 2002 to find out whether then Iraqi President Saddam Hussein was trying to buy uranium from the African country.

Mr Wilson reported that there was no truth in the claim but it still appeared in President George W Bush's 2003 State of the Union address.

In the lawsuit, Ms Plame and Mr Wilson accuse the three named officials and 10 others of putting their lives and the lives of their children at risk.

"This lawsuit concerns the intentional and malicious exposure by senior officials of the federal government of [Ms Plame], whose job it was to gather intelligence to make the nation safer and who risked her life for her country," it says.

The couple say the officials violated their constitutional and privacy rights in order to "punish" Mr Wilson for his comments.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified compensation and punitive damages as well as legal costs.

c&p

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 05:10:20 PM »
:noid :noid :noid

:rofl :rofl :rofl
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 05:18:20 PM »
one more time...SHE WAS NOT A SECRET AGENT.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 05:42:04 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
one more time...SHE WAS NOT A SECRET AGENT.

Of course she is................ As long as the media says so.;)

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 05:48:34 PM »
zOMG!!!!!!11 :O :O :O :O :O :confused: :confused: :O :O

"O" face -------> :O  
ROFLMAo1!!!!11

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 05:55:44 PM »
Is this even going to get to court?

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 06:15:40 PM »
Originally posted by GtoRA2
Is this even going to get to court?

Sure it will. But Osama's personal driver won't get to a military tribunal.
Go figure.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 06:19:12 PM »
Isn't the CIA going to be reluctant to talk about anything to do with top secret info in a civil case like this?

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 06:41:01 PM »
Isn't the CIA going to be reluctant to talk about anything to do with top secret info in a civil case like this?

What top secret info? When she was "outed" she was driving a Jag convertible to Langley (CIA HQ) with the freaking top down! She hadn't been involved in anything remotely covert since it was discovered one of the recently bagged spies might have exposed her to the KGB and other spy agencies during the Clinton administration. Around 1995 I seem to remember.

SaVaGe

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 06:42:29 PM »
Is this even going to get to court? - GtoRA2

I think it could, but it will depend on what the courts do - not on whether Wilson/Plame settle. They're not in it for the money, and any monetary settlement would have to come with the unchallenged claim of "no wrongdoing" which would clearly be unacceptable to Wilson/Plame.

So it becomes a matter of whether the courts will hear a civil case against a sitting President.

Nixon v.Fitzgerald is an example of such a case. The district courts rejected Nixon's claim of immunity, only to have that decision reversed by the Supreme Court (I don't know how the voting broke down), who said that a President couldn't be held liable for actions done while holding office. Or something like that.

The case against Clinton could proceed because the alleged cause of action occurred before he held office.

Now.... I don't know what that means for Libby and Rove.... or even Bush for that matter (it's brand new).

Two notable things:

The statute of limitation runs out tomorrow or the day after, so Wilson/Plame would be foolish not to do this now if they're even considering it.

Libby will likely get a pardon from Bush in his criminal case, but Bush is unable to pardon for civil cases.

Oh.... and if anyone still wants to claim that Plame was not a covert agent, please provide me with a source. Go ahead and provide it to the CIA while you're at it, because even they seem to be unaware of it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 06:45:02 PM by Nash »

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 06:46:31 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
I think it could, but it will depend on what the courts do - not on whether Wilson/Plame settle. They're not in it for the money, and any monetary settlement would have to come with the unchallenged claim of "no wrongdoing" which would clearly be unacceptable to Wilson/Plame.

So it becomes a matter of whether the courts will hear a civil case against a sitting President.

Nixon v.Fitzgerald is an example of such a case. The district courts rejected Nixon's claim of immunity, only to have that decision reversed by the Supreme Court (I don't know how the voting broke down), who said that a President couldn't be held liable for actions done while holding office. Or something like that.

The case against Clinton could proceed because the alleged cause of action occurred before he held office.

Now.... I don't know what that means for Libby and Rove.... or even Bush for that matter (it's brand new).

Two notable things:

The statute of limitation runs out tomorrow or the day after, so Wilson/Plame would be fooling not to do this now if they're even considering it.

Libby will likely get a pardon from Bush in his criminal case, but he is unable to pardon for civil cases.

Oh.... and if anyone still wants to claim that Plame was not a covert agent, please provide me with a source. Go ahead and provide it to the CIA while you're at it, because even they seem to be unaware of it.

Intersting, thanks.

Bush was not mentioned right? So does it have impact other then bad publicity? Since it not a criminal trial, even if they lose Rove won't have to go, but prolly would.

Be interesting to see if it does get to court, it will be a media zoo if it does.

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 06:48:21 PM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
What top secret info? When she was "outed" she was driving a Jag convertible to Langley (CIA HQ) with the freaking top down! She hadn't been involved in anything remotely covert since it was discovered one of the recently bagged spies might have exposed her to the KGB and other spy agencies during the Clinton administration. Around 1995 I seem to remember.

I don't know, I don't know  much about her, but who knows what will come up if it gets to court.

It just seems odd to have a civil case like this with CIA people.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 06:48:45 PM »
Whoops!

Yeah - Bush was not mentioned. Thanks..... My eyes saw Cheney and my mind musta saw Bush.

Well then.... this is interesting......

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 06:51:00 PM »
Originally posted by Nash
Whoops!

Yeah - Bush was not mentioned. Thanks..... My eyes saw Cheney and my mind musta saw Bush.

Well then.... this is interesting......

Indeed. It will be all we hear about for months if it does not get thrown out.

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 06:52:31 PM »
It just seems odd to have a civil case like this with CIA people.

Usually I'd agree.

But this does't involve national security, state secrets, or anything like that. There's pretty much nothing that the CIA will be asked other than "Was she a covert operative."

That's already been done, and it's why the case against Libby is proceeding.

After that, it becomes a "who told who what, with what intent" within the executive branch alone.