Author Topic: Chuck Yeager says...  (Read 5667 times)

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2006, 12:27:33 PM »
So because he flew in WWII he's immune from being an oscar*#@^?

Offline Viper9th

• Zinc Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2006, 12:30:54 PM »
Originally posted by navajoboy
Why not? that is just like saying you don't support the troops in iraq. Yeager did service for this country that probably most of you people wouldn't volunteer to do. I know alot of you disagree with him but give him some credit for helping our country out.

On a lighter note.. It's sad to see most of you bash Yeager then go an ankle hump the Value Menu Boys (BKs). What have they accomplished? ha ha ha

Oi, if I had the option to go back to WW2 and serve I bloody damn well would, along with every other damn war

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2006, 01:29:49 PM »
if you interfaced with Yeager and he treated you like an arse, maybe it aint all his doing.  Think on it golfer.  Yeager might be on to something.

If you aint never met him and YOU think he is an arse, I would recommend some face time at a mirror.

:aok
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #78 on: August 07, 2006, 01:59:38 PM »
All because you say so?  I'll be sure to get right on it.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #79 on: August 07, 2006, 02:38:23 PM »
the guy sitting next to me is having heart pains.  bbL
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Lye-El

• Silver Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2006, 04:37:27 PM »
Originally posted by navajoboy
Why not? that is just like saying you don't support the troops in iraq. Yeager did service for this country that probably most of you people wouldn't volunteer to do.

1: Because others were also involved in his endeavors. He isn't the one man show he, and others seem to believe.

2:Quite a stretch to link ones distaste for a mans ego mania to support of our troops in Iraq. And do you think all our troops are all unreproachable? Watched the news lately?

3: I did volunteer to do service for this country. Did you?

i dont got enough perkies as it is and i like upen my lancs to kill 1 dang t 34 or wirble its fun droping 42 bombs

Offline DaYooper

• Copper Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2006, 05:59:19 PM »
Then there's guys like Dick Bong who racked up more confirmed kills than Yeager ever will (not to mention ALL the unconfirmed kills and kills credited to junior pilots in his squadron).

Also everyone who ever knew him will tell you what a soft spoken man he was.  The discussion won't be about how big an prettythang he was or if he deserved the 'right' to be one.

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2006, 06:14:22 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
the guy sitting next to me is having heart pains.  bbL

turn out ok?

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2006, 08:33:19 PM »
yeah...guess he has angina.  Wish he would have told us before.  He took a pill and recovered pretty quick.  Still, had some EMTs come out and check his vitals.

All is well :eek:

Offline F4UDOA

• Silver Member
      • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/markw4/index.html
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2006, 08:54:38 PM »
I think people are getting caught up in details that WW2 pilots didn't spend much time talking about.

Yeager said it would do anything the Spitty would do but did not say low speed turns in the same direction which in AH is a major factor. Not that turn radius wasn't in combat but much of that had to do with pilot skill not just the limits of the aircraft. Yeager probably had most of his dogfights at speeds over 250MPH.

Yeager was a guy that was known to take bets on dogfights and would cheat like crazy to win (Much like Boyington). For Yeager he probably could have waxed a Spitfire or two with his Pony with flaps or what ever else he could think of. He also like to mix it up in the P-39 and thought it was a pretty good ride.

As I remember it the P-51 wasn't to bad in combat IRL.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2006, 10:13:54 PM »
Originally posted by DaYooper
Then there's guys like Dick Bong who racked up more confirmed kills than Yeager ever will (not to mention ALL the unconfirmed kills and kills credited to junior pilots in his squadron).

Also everyone who ever knew him will tell you what a soft spoken man he was.  The discussion won't be about how big an prettythang he was or if he deserved the 'right' to be one.

Agree.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2006, 10:32:46 PM »
I can see what happened now. During an open interview Yeager was taking questions and Grimm raised his hand and was allowed to ask his question.

Grimm: Yeah uh I fly an online game called aces high and in that game the mustang is known as a runstang cause all they do is run from a coalt fight and even spits cant...

Yeager: I aint answering any questions about games I flew the real deal and put my *)(* out in the breeze for my country and all your gonna do is go post some silly note about what I said and get it wrong. You screwed the pooch son now sit down.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline navajoboy

• Probation
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.uknightedstates.net
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2006, 08:58:19 AM »
Originally posted by Lye-El

3: I did volunteer to do service for this country. Did you?

I sure did just like the rest of the men in my family. I have a great grandpa that served in Geronimo Campaign, grandpa's that served in WW2, many uncles that served in Korea, Vetnam, and countless cousins that served in Iraq 1 and the current situation. I list this because it would have been a shame that I not serve as a warrior for my people.  I was lucky that I was enlisted during the peace time in the 90s.

The reason i said what I'm saying is because I know alot of younger Navajos (both men and women) who are currently in Iraq.  I don't care how much of an attitude veteran has, he should be respected as a man or woman that served our country, just like all the young men and women in iraq or elsewhere.

Honor your Vets.
Honor them.....
Stovpipe aka Navajo
Uknighted 357th FG - JG26
-+= Foreign Relations Minister =+-
http://www.uknightedstates.net

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2006, 01:26:23 PM »
Then there's guys like Dick Bong who racked up more confirmed kills than Yeager ever will
====
How well would Bong have done against the LW in his P38?  no one will ever know.

How well would Yeager have done against Japanese pilots? no one will ever know.

I remember reading Yeager talking about Bong and how Bong refused to understand the airplane he was flying and it cost him his life.  Yeagers take on it was that Bong thought he was too good to be told how to fly an airplane by a younger non-combat pilot and thats why Bong flamed out and crashed on takeoff.  Bong didnt listen when he was told to be careful about applying too much throttle too quickly.  Thats what Bong did, and Bong died as a result.  Unfortunately for Bong, so Yeager suggests, the Younger man telling Bong to be carefull had more experiece with the new experimental fighter, but Bongs ego got the best of him, eventually.

Was Yeager right about Bong?  Who knows........

One thing is for sure, Yeager is still alive :rolleyes:

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
Chuck Yeager says...
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2006, 04:21:36 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager

I remember reading Yeager talking about Bong and how Bong refused to understand the airplane he was flying and it cost him his life.  Yeagers take on it was that Bong thought he was too good to be told how to fly an airplane by a younger non-combat pilot and thats why Bong flamed out and crashed on takeoff.  Bong didnt listen when he was told to be careful about applying too much throttle too quickly.  Thats what Bong did, and Bong died as a result.  Unfortunately for Bong, so Yeager suggests, the Younger man telling Bong to be carefull had more experiece with the new experimental fighter, but Bongs ego got the best of him, eventually.

Was Yeager right about Bong?  Who knows........

One thing is for sure, Yeager is still alive :rolleyes:

Well, this certainly is an interesting story.  If you read Bob Smith's account of Yeager's flights in the NF-104 he consistently refused to do what Smith advised him to do.  Not only did he get nowhere close to Smith's altitudes (less than 104k compared to about 120k) but he lost the aircraft in the process.  Yeager may have said something to Bong about not applying too much throttle too quickly but Smith gave Yeager the precise profile to fly the NF-104 and advised him that he had to do a 3.5g pull up to a 70deg zoom to get maximum altitude (if I remember the numbers correctly).  The final altitude was not the only important part of this, he also needed to get above the atmosphere where the reaction control jets would have enough thrust to push the nose over for the descent.  Yeager failed to listen, failed four times to fly the correct profile and, on the last flight could not get the nose down which caused the LOC and crash.  Yes, Yeager is still alive.  I suppose that if you buy that the last guy standing gets to be the one to define everyone before him than sure, Bong thought he was "too good".  On the other hand, you might just consider that Yeager suffers from the same malady.   Also, with regard to his opinion that Bong didn't want to listen to a younger, less experienced pilot, read how Yeager portrays everyone he disagrees with.  They were all jealous or too stupid to listen to ...drum roll...Yeager.

Mace
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF