Author Topic: Iran to "light up the sky" on August 22?  (Read 3047 times)

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Iran to "light up the sky" on August 22?
« on: August 09, 2006, 12:23:34 AM »
I wish that the following scenario were implausible, but given Ahmadinejad's absolute faith that the appearance of the 12th Imam is imminent and a host of recent statements to the effect that Israel is about to wiped off the face of the map, there really isn't a scenario too nutty for him...

This year, we are told, the Muslim commemorations associated with their calendar date 27 Rajab will occur on August 22. On this a most celebratory date in the Islamic calendar, best-selling author and Islamic scholar Robert Spencer reminds that the Prophet Muhammed made his ascension into heaven from the Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, an event known as the Miraj. “[T]he Night Journey has become firmly embedded in the Islamic consciousness,” Spencer notes, “such that Muslims today celebrate it as one of the central events of Muhammad’s life.”  And now, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has selected that as an auspicious date to create a light over the skies of Jerusalem such as the world has never seen since the Miraj.

If as the president of the Reform Party in Syria, Farid Ghadry claims, “Ahmadinejad is planning an illumination of the night sky over Jerusalem to rival the one that greeted the Prophet of Islam on his journey,” then it is difficult to imagine anything other than a full-scale Iranian nuclear attack. As Spencer continues, “a nuclear attack on Jerusalem or even an all-out conventional assault against Israel by Iran would be consistent with Ahmadinejad’s oft-repeated denials of Israel’s right to exist and recent predictions that its demise was at hand.” These observations are the latest from a growing list of ominous portents from Iranian and Syrian leaders too horrific to ignore.
( Source - The Missiles of 27 Rajab  )

SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline LLv34 Jarsci

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 01:22:33 AM »
Much good it would do for Iran.. after 30  mins of launch they would resemble parking lot.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 01:30:33 AM »
Originally posted by LLv34 Jarsci
Much good it would do for Iran.. after 30  mins of launch they would resemble parking lot.

Absolutely no doubt about that. Syria would likely go also. I have a hard time believing they are really that suicidal.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 01:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by LLv34 Jarsci

That wouldnt help the folks in Jerusalem.
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 01:44:49 AM »
Originally posted by lukster
Absolutely no doubt about that. Syria would likely go also. I have a hard time believing they are really that suicidal.

After all the suicide bombings you really have a hard time believing Muslims are *really that suicidal*?

They dont care if they die, or how many of their people die, as long as they are following the Koran.
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 01:58:42 AM »
Originally posted by Elfie
After all the suicide bombings you really have a hard time believing Muslims are *really that suicidal*?

They dont care if they die, or how many of their people die, as long as they are following the Koran.

I'm just hoping that the guys in power over in Iran like their cushy life, and are at least partially trumping up the whole suicide bomber thing to look "good" to their people, and thus preserve their cushy life.

But, hey, with this region, who the heck knows.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 02:06:01 AM »
I'm just hoping that the guys in power over in Iran like their cushy life, and are at least partially trumping up the whole suicide bomber thing to look "good" to their people, and thus preserve their cushy life.

I'm not counting on that.

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:17:04 AM »
Originally posted by lukster

I get the impression that Iran is desperate to make a martyr of itself.
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 04:05:03 AM »
"They dont care if they die, or how many of their people die, as long as they are following the Koran."

I think you are making a silly generalization here. But I am afraid the reasonable part of moslems may not have much influence to alter the politics of Iran.

You need to undersand the effect  that owning nuclear power has on national prestige. E.g. as with India and Pakistan.

If a bomb falls in Israel a hasty retaliation from another country may have disastrous effects.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline PonyDriver

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 04:36:44 AM »
If a bomb falls in Israel a hasty retaliation from another country may have disastrous effects.

Ok, then what should happen? What would an appropriate reponse be?
Would you fault Israel for retaliating with similar weapons?

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 04:46:38 AM »
"Would you fault Israel for retaliating with similar weapons?"

Nope, that is what I expect to happen in such case. If there is anybody left to retaliate, that is...

Did you miss the part "from another country" in my initial post?

Like, this:

http://static.flickr.com/96/209266584_9d94170b56.jpg?v=0

:)

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 07:10:43 AM »
Originally posted by Charge

Yes, they should take just enough time to research the proper cause of the attack and not one minute longer, but considering Iran has promised and may be finalizing plans its not hard to eliminate most of the causes.

I wonder if you'd be so willing to be patient if another country had promised that 'Finland would be wiped off the face of the earth' and now 'Espoo will be ignited by nuclear fire to herald a new Imam.'

No, I don't think so...

edit: I guess you don't fault them or anyone else that would take action against Iran for such an attack... consider my point withdrawn. I should of read the entire thread first...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 07:14:11 AM by Delirium »
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 07:21:59 AM »
Originally posted by Furball
I get the impression that Iran is desperate to make a martyr of itself.

yep and I say we help the leaders of that country accomplish that goal ASAP
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 07:38:12 AM »
Some of you are mistaking "Iran" for "Iranian hard-line religious leadership".  The mainstream Iranian is persian and really feels no compelling need to martyr themselves for a bunch of lazy arab nutcases who would rather blow themselves up than get a job.

The Iranian government is held in check by a religious council that keeps power through a combination of popular religious rightousness and violent reprisals against dissent.  Unlike other countries such as Turkey which is nearly the exact opposite of Iran (Turkey has a moderate government and a pissed off religious populace vs. Iran which has a hardline religous govt and a moderate populace), the Iranian people don't really seem all that interested in rocking the boat.  They've had their wars and seem to prefer pepsi and blue jeans.  We'll win a lot more battles in Iran with a soft hand than with a gloved fist.

That said, it is in our best interest to contain govt backed extremist influences streaming from Iran in the same way we resisted communist advances from the old soviet union.  We don't have much to complain about regarding Iran itself (aside from nuke ambitions), but we do have an interest in their export of weapons and "volunteer martyrs" to surrounding countries.

Carrot and stick applies.  We need to find an appropriate carrot, but it's hard to hide the fact that our stick is growing shorter and weaker with every budget cycle.

I'd personally recommend an Iraqi withdrawl and a silent agreement with Saudi Arabia and the Kurds to help contain the pending civil war and balance the Iranian and Syrian fueled "insurgency", followed by a strong show of force in support of an Israel-Lebanon cease-fire.  But of course we won't see that...
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Hawklore

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006, 09:12:01 AM »
Iran may be planning on where to strike...

The US allready knows where we will strike.
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart.
Trouble no one about their religion;
respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours.
Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life." - Chief Tecumseh