Author Topic: US judge rules wiretaps illegal  (Read 4247 times)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
US judge rules wiretaps illegal
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »
That makes this transgression ok?  Because the other bunch of morons would do it too?

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »
The government isn't into voyeurism. They don't care if u cheat on your wife or whatever like that. I see it like this. Let them spy some so they can catch the terrorist. Or, tie them up with crys for civil freedom and and wait for real bad stuff to happen again like 911. The terrorist goal is to hurt our economy. Look what happened to the stock market after 911. If the terrorist cripple our economy, we wont be worried if somebody is taking our civil rights away. We will be worrying about our jobs and how to feed ourselves and our families and having a place to live. Whats more important:????  Total civil liberties to an extreme, or fighting terrorism so we can still have an America and the freedom it offers? Search me. Tap my phone, I don't care, I got nothing to hide. Just don't spy on me when I go pottie. :eek: Terrorism a nasty war. I call it world war III. As far as trusting the government goes, I don't really trust them, but they got all the big guns and all the power to get things done. Our government is the best game we got going now. I don't think a local militia can fight terrorism. Actually, we must be doing something right here, government and all, we got real cushy lives here in America for the most part. Dont think for a moment we don't

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2006, 06:46:56 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
That makes this transgression ok?  Because the other bunch of morons would do it too?

What's the alternative? Start over? Might be.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2006, 06:53:30 PM »
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

the man had a way with words, where is our patrick henry today?

Offline parker00

• Copper Member
      • http://www.68thlightninglancers.com/joomla/index.php
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2006, 07:00:08 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!

the man had a way with words, where is our patrick henry today?

Bush has a way with words that no one will forget for a very long time. :D

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2006, 07:15:23 PM »
The Pursuit of LIFE, liberty and Happiness!  Note LIFE being first!  There is no pursuit of liberty or happiness without the first!  

Ya know it's funny how some people say that these necessary measures to battle terrorism, are taking away from our civil libertys....The United Kingdom has law that without question allows her to fight terrorism better then the United States...The UK has a little thing called, Probable suspicion, instead of probable cause...Meanings if Joe is associating with Tim, and Tim is a known extremist, that suspicion is grounds for warrant and investigation...Does this make the UK a "big brother" police state?  I dont think so...I really dont think their quality of life is any different then ours...  Maybe it is that the Brit's understand that evil cannot exist in the world, and are willing to bend for the best interest of their own lives, and the national security of their state....

It also really ticks me off when people accuse the NSA agent's of illegally listening into calls, or just intruding on your personal life...In my opinion it's no different then slapping a solder in the face...These NSA interceptors may not be a on the physical front lines in Iraq or Afghanistan, but there roll in the war on terrorism is as large as any other...Ya see, just like the military, for the most part you dont get people joining the NSA, or any government agency for that matter unless they want to be there...Unless they believe in the cause...And even more so then the military, you dont get to the NSA without being extremely qualified...Maybe to some of you libs, you may say I have too much faith in my government...But I believe that in a post 9/11 world, these NSA agents, are to professional, and care to much about their mission, to do anything but find anomoly's and correlation's between #'s that may be related to terrorism...Anything else is rubish...I'm sorry 68, and all you conspiracy theory loons...The Government doesnt care what you had for diner...
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2006, 07:17:56 PM »
Back in the day we would have told you to "move to Russia" if you wanted a police state that badly.

Offline Clutz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2006, 07:22:10 PM »
The Pursuit of LIFE, liberty and Happiness! Note LIFE being first! There is no pursuit of liberty or happiness without the first!

yeah cav58d, what u said . Good stuff. I'm curious. What liberties does anybody think any of us day to day regular sort people will lose if the government wants to spy on a group of bad guys they think are plotting terrorism? Its just not a logical rationalization to think your phone will be tapped tomorrow or even the next day or ever. The government isn't looking to hurt American citizens or take their liberties away. its simply trying to stop terrorism. I figure if you aren't a terrorist, u probably wont have an issue with the government spys at all in anyway.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 07:52:27 PM by Clutz »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Does it strike anyone that the system
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2006, 07:27:29 PM »
is working exactly the way it should?

Bush's policy was challenged in court, a decision was handed down.

That's how it is supposed to work. If the Administration feels it still has a case, it will appeal.

The Admin has appealed; this is the way it is supposed to work.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline cav58d

• Gold Member
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2006, 07:30:58 PM »
Thank you Clutz...  I find it funny...TERRORISM...Conspirci ng to committ...drug dealing....There all illegal, yet some of us feel that if this illegal activity is done in the privacy of our homes, then its okay?   :noid :rolleyes:
<S> Lyme

Sick Puppies II

412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline Shuckins

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2006, 07:37:41 PM »
Always remember, when your head is stuck in the sand your backside is vulnerable.

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2006, 08:17:25 PM »
Originally posted by cav58d
Thank you Clutz...  I find it funny...TERRORISM...Conspirci ng to committ...drug dealing....There all illegal, yet some of us feel that if this illegal activity is done in the privacy of our homes, then its okay?   :noid :rolleyes:

i think a terrorist put extra spicy peppers into the salsa in my fridge

:noid :noid :noid :o :o :cry :cry :cry

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2006, 08:24:49 PM »
Didn't think that was flaming at all.

Anyway, what I said that wasn't part of the "Flame" was that the judge apparently broke a lot of rules and ethics about picking up new cases, and the ethics on ruling on them.  I think there might be a good chance she's kicked out and disbarred.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2006, 09:04:09 PM »
Originally posted by Clutz
The government isn't into voyeurism. They don't care if u cheat on your wife or whatever like that. I see it like this. Let them spy some so they can catch the terrorist. Or, tie them up with crys for civil freedom and and wait for real bad stuff to happen again like 911.

9/11

9/11 would never have happened in the first place had our government agencies simply ENFORCED the laws that were already on the books.

And they could have done so wiithout anyone giving up a single one of their liberties.

9/11 was the preventable attack ever

Over 1,000 lives lost because people didnt do their jobs.
Now your willing ot give up your liberties for what?
So they will fail to do their jobs correctly again?
And they will fail

Sure they can take your liberties. Cant stop hardly a damn person from sneaking across the boarder but they sure as hell can take your liberties.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline dhaus

• Copper Member
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2006, 09:22:20 PM »
Imagine that.  A liberal judge who follows a strict construction of the constitution.  None of this "unitary executive" and expansive presidential powers during times of national (in)security being reading into Article I.  I'm sure the Federalist Society approves!!