Author Topic: B-17 Modeling Problems: Ordnance  (Read 2692 times)

Offline Reynolds

• Gold Member
      • http://flyingknights.csmsites.com
B-17 Modeling Problems: Ordnance
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2006, 04:17:26 AM »
Originally posted by Simaril
Bombs have enemy collisions modelled, but friendly collisions (and bullets) off. Occasionally you'll see someone burst out laughing on 200 because they cant believe they just got killed by a bomb hitting them in the air....

Yeah. Ive killed an La-something with a 1000lb-er from a B17. I missed all the huge bomber hangars, missed the VH, but hit a tiny La that was moving about 300mph. Now THAT was lucky!

Offline scottydawg

• Silver Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2006, 01:31:43 PM »
Originally posted by Bodhi
Simaril,

While I generally do not state it, I do work on and rebuild WW2 aircraft.  4 years ago, I worked on a B-17, quite extensively.  One of my tasks was to recreate the bomb bay from one that had been stripped bare years prior.  Spent a ton of time in the drawings, IPB, E+M, and Boeings processes manual.  You learn a ton while working on this stuff.  

Currently, I am working on an F4u-4 QEC and components for a P-38.  My job is to know what I am working on, so, chances are, if I say it, I have seen it in writing.

SO are there any job openings there?

Offline Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2006, 02:06:11 PM »
Is HTC going to code the game so that 4 engine bombers have to be leveled to bomb?  This will help the dive bombing but it will not help the low level on the deck noe bombing.  It will at least be a start.

Edit:

Oh and maybe you must have calibration done and only drop from F6 view.
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2006, 02:48:21 PM »
What an old dead topic. This won't happen soon.

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2006, 03:00:32 PM »
Yeah, I'm kinda surprised it keeps getting resurrected.

The "Dive Bombing Heavies" IS a dead issue, Kermit and Krusty. First, HT doesnt think its a problem at all. Second, there arent any available solutions that would work. The F6 solution would make absolutely no difference, since with full salvo you can hit f6 and drop ord in about 3/4 sec.

Requiring level drops is both unrealistic -- see the detailed angle tables, based on the position of the bomb in the rack -- and (in HT's words) arbitrary.

HT has said he plans to eventually implement modelling for bomb bay structures, with realistic physics for drops and inertia. That will involve a fair amount of coading, I'd bet, and it will require a limited reworking of the friendly collision model (since bombs are now technically friendly objects and thus cannot collide with part of a friendly aircraft, so you cant damage your plane by releasing too steeply).

I could concieve of this being done as part of CT, but if it isnt done there, I dont expect it to be high on the priority list for a good while.

So, it isnt impossible that it wont be left undone for an infinitely unlimited time, but no way to be sure.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2006, 03:08:44 PM »
Sim,

Are there any particular texts you're looking for? I can look around locally to see if I can find them.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute