Author Topic: AH is loosing its essence  (Read 5003 times)

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
AH is loosing its essence
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2006, 08:20:26 AM »
Originally posted by Sloehand
...snip...

but HiTech is not good at listening to constructive critisism or managing that with it's customers.

With all due respect, this is unmitigated horsehockey.

Name one other gaming company that lets you call up the programmer/designer, and talk with him one on one. I've only been here a few years, but I know of several changes that are direct results of player suggestions. (ENY, hardened CV 5", the dynamic cap in LW1/LW2 come immediately to mind.)

Some here confuse "flame rants" with constructive criticism. Some think that "this is BS" or "change it back" should be taken seriously, as if those whines actually had substance or meaning. Many here act like the verbal equivalent of a two year old kicking and screaming on the floor.

In other words, if I cant have my way, you all suck.

Originally posted by Sloehand
...snip... My squad looks at it as a challenge.  Seems kind of funny though, considering the previous round of changes actually limits squads and large numbers from getting together to take a base.  I've seen caps as low as 120 (for at least a short while) on the LW's.  With the new ack it will take all 40 players on a side to take a single base now (well almost).  

Also horse manure. Last Friday our squad put up about 25 guys without impacting ENY...and we all got in just fine. Squads have never been the target of these changes -- smaller arenas were the stated plan, and that's what's been implemented. Once the ripples settled, refinements came.

One has to wonder if those refinements would have been faster had HTC not had to do so much handholding for the "adults" having breakdowns.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2006, 09:41:36 AM »
Kev367th:

What is annoying -
No-one from HT staff posted about how to temporarily fix the screen freeze issue until a patch came out, instead it was left to us to figure it out.

Kev you want to know what really is annoying as hell. Having a player complain about me not posting about something that I knew nothing about.

This gets under my skin like you can not believe. After I saw your post,and the fix, Is when I took a look at the skin system. I worked all Saturday & a few hours on Sunday to fix the problem, so we can hopefully get a patch out today.

I confirmed in your thread that there was a bug, only after I had researched it, which was do to your post.

By the time I found out about the problem. You had already posted a work around for it.

Kev do me a favor and stop criticizing things which you a totally clueless about.

HiTech

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #137 on: November 20, 2006, 10:21:29 AM »
WOW .. HT works all day Saturday and part of Sunday and some have the cajones to say that he doesn't care ... :rolleyes:
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: November 20, 2006, 10:48:56 AM »
Well I for one never said he cares.

Hard to reply to his post without risking the dreaded PNG, but I'll give a go.

"I'm clueless"

1) Freezes / Skin cache - Clue to the problem was the game load time, it was substantially less due to the skins not getting precached. Also the lack of the cache files showing up during the load process was a BIG hint/clue.
So I guess I'm not that clueless as I noticed it.

Can't comprehend how this wasn't noticed prior to the patch being released, especially with resulting game freezes it causes.

2) Invisible hills - Not exactly hard to find if you take the time to spawn a GV and drive for a short time.

3) Detail levels - Little harder to notice/find even if you take the time to check things in-game.

4) Skins on buff drones - Again all you have to do is up a formation of buffs and the bug is staring you in the face. Not hard to notice.

Number 3 I'll admit would be a little more difficult to notice, but 1,2 and 4 are obvious to even a blind man (metaphorically speaking).
At least 1,2 and 4 should have easily been caught during a test phase.

Another example from way back -
The patch that caused all GV's to spawn on VH roofs, funny yes, but seriously, it should have been caught prior to the patch release.

I am not questioning your hard work over the weekend (in fact never even alluded to anything like that), or any other time.

Just wonder why/how some of the blatently obvious bugs are missed?

[edit]
The constructive part.
I am sure that many (myself included) would be more than willing to participate in some kind of "patch test" program.
At least to iron out the major problems prior to a patch release.
The offer is there, what you decide to do with it is up to you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:05:35 AM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #139 on: November 20, 2006, 10:54:44 AM »
Originally posted by Overlag
where was i whining? did you miss the posts where i said how most of us have already learnt how to counter it? ive not whined ONCE about these changes.... i just have concerns that its only going to make the horde bigger... and thats a perfectly valid concern.

anyway maybe you should try posting something constructive. Of corse just editing posts like this:

then posting silly remarks makes you a right smart arse.

Overlag... Consider the source, he is 10 years old.
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Mr No Name

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2006, 10:55:50 AM »
Originally posted by Hammy
No comment, it will just get deleted anyway  :noid

Ditto :-X
Vote R.E. Lee '24

Offline Laurie

• Nickel Member
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2006, 11:00:27 AM »
Originally posted by hitech
Kev367th:

Kev do me a favor and stop criticizing things which you a totally clueless about.

HiTech

just wondering, hows he clueless when he solved the problem for all other players by taking up personal time, to solve mini freeze problem :huh ;)

not a criticism just a question

We know you work hard and use personal time. and i for one respect that.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 11:03:06 AM by Laurie »

Offline VERTEX

• Copper Member
« Reply #142 on: November 20, 2006, 11:34:07 AM »
To Simaril,

Just so you know I have been playing since AH1, I am not new. I have seen a lot of changes in this game and they all get gripes. In my opinion the principles of the game are the same as they always have been. My major point was change will always bring complaints. Hitech will always come across oposition to change. Some of my own squaddies have threatened to leave after a new change is implemented, but they are still here.
Why, because the game is basically the same. The only thing that I have noticed over the years is an increase in people in tank town. TT has certainly become popular.

Also, strategy does not neccessarily mean events have to be preplanned in a mission. I have been apart of a few really good base captures that develop as people show up. When a few expirienced guys get together in an unplanned way, often they know what to do without being told. Or, will ask what is needed and act accordingly.

Anyway, why would you seek to belittle my earlier statement by assuming I was new?

Offline MotorOil1

• Copper Member
« Reply #143 on: November 20, 2006, 12:34:02 PM »
I think the changes add a little more realism to the game and will force gamers to change tactics a bit.  Finally a use for the small bombs and rockets.  No more single plane rolling in to de-ack a field.

Anyone ever read a WWII story where field were made completely defenceless by a single plane and his MGs?  Probably was pretty rare to take out an 88 by strafing it.

With the smaller maps in the new arenas the fields should be a little tougher to take, will combat the hoarders a bit and promote some missions.
MoterOil
-=Most Wanted=-
"These are detestable murderers and scumbags. They detest our freedoms, they detest our society, they detest our liberties." - General Hillier July 14, 2005, on Osama bin Laden and his ilk

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2006, 12:41:37 PM »
Originally posted by Kev367th
Well I for one never said he cares.

I don't think that is what you were trying to say ... at least I hope not.

My post was not directed at you personally ... I have seen many posts that insinuate the HT doesn't care about his users and his game.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2006, 12:43:36 PM »
Originally posted by MotorOil1
I think the changes add a little more realism to the game and will force gamers to change tactics a bit.  Finally a use for the small bombs and rockets.  No more single plane rolling in to de-ack a field.

Anyone ever read a WWII story where field were made completely defenceless by a single plane and his MGs?  Probably was pretty rare to take out an 88 by strafing it.

With the smaller maps in the new arenas the fields should be a little tougher to take, will combat the hoarders a bit and promote some missions.

I have noticed that as well. Almost every fighter comes with rockets now. Adds alot to the game to see the full breadth of options utilized as standard practice. With minimal ack before people usually didn't bother with rockets or small eggs unless they were in dedicated ground attack mode, they would just strafe it down. Now any fighter jock who plans to go near a field has a few rockets or small eggs under his wing, just in case.

Zazen
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 12:46:54 PM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: November 20, 2006, 01:21:30 PM »
Originally posted by VERTEX
To Simaril,

Just so you know I have been playing since AH1, I am not new. I have seen a lot of changes in this game and they all get gripes. In my opinion the principles of the game are the same as they always have been. My major point was change will always bring complaints. Hitech will always come across oposition to change. Some of my own squaddies have threatened to leave after a new change is implemented, but they are still here.
Why, because the game is basically the same. The only thing that I have noticed over the years is an increase in people in tank town. TT has certainly become popular.

Also, strategy does not neccessarily mean events have to be preplanned in a mission. I have been apart of a few really good base captures that develop as people show up. When a few expirienced guys get together in an unplanned way, often they know what to do without being told. Or, will ask what is needed and act accordingly.

Anyway, why would you seek to belittle my earlier statement by assuming I was new?

Vertex:

I'm befuddled....and I wonder if you might be also.

To answer your last question first: Most guys whose BBS account started in "Jan 2006" and who have a total of 7 posts are new. Not much of a reach. In fact, one might ask why you ever expected someone to think you were anything BUT new with the BBS data at hand!

And about belittling....Well, you must not be familiar with the saying I referenced. It goes something like "From the mouths of babes may come great wisdom" The idea is simply that sometimes new guys see things more clearly than the vets.

In other words --
Chill out! I was agreeing with you, dude!

:aok
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: November 20, 2006, 01:27:27 PM »
Originally posted by SlapShot
I don't think that is what you were trying to say ... at least I hope not.

My post was not directed at you personally ... I have seen many posts that insinuate the HT doesn't care about his users and his game.

CC Slap.

Upshot is - Next time me (Mr clueless), finds out whats causing a bug and a temp fix to carry the community over till a patch is ready, I'll just not mention it.

Oh I was also the one who found out what was causing one of the Skinviewer updates to crash out on startup (and the fix for it), not bad for a Mr clueless, huh.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 01:30:24 PM by Kev367th »
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #148 on: November 20, 2006, 01:36:00 PM »
I am sure that many (myself included) would be more than willing to participate in some kind of "patch test" program.

We had about 70 of the CT alpha testers do testing of this one a few days before release.

So once again you are  criticizing stuff what you really are clueless.

And I'm not saying you are clueless about that there were bugs and and you dug into those bugs. But criticizing our software business as you have, with out any knowledge of the facts is what you are clue less about lots of stuff that you slam us for, and have no knowledge of what really occurred.

Do I wish there were less bug, always do.

But the fact of software development is they will always occur, you can not find them all.

So here is the real question, would you prefer waiting an extra 2 months for a release to prevent more small bugs like in this last version. Or would you prefer getting the new release sooner, and have the bugs squished in less than a week.

HiTech

Offline Boomer49

• Zinc Member
« Reply #149 on: November 20, 2006, 01:37:12 PM »
Gentlemen......

Regarding all the moaning about increased Ack, vulching, etc......

Maybe a visit to the History Channel and the Military Channel when they run the episodes containing WWII footage, will show that AH is getting close to the "Real" way it was. I never saw a P51 or a 190 pass up the chance to get them on the ground and I definately remember footage of flak so thick you could walk on it. The solution is simple.......

Observe....Adapt....Overcome and Kill!

Personally, if your into this game for the points, your missing half the fun.

Fly it like you stole it and kill it like you own it. Oh, one more thing, all you point hounds.......Your welcome!:)