Author Topic: AH is loosing its essence  (Read 5000 times)

Offline Flayed1

• Silver Member
AH is loosing its essence
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2006, 03:01:55 AM »
This is looking good for us BOPs. :)   Tonight we uped 6 flights of 17's and smacked a base (don't recall the #) killing town and FH's. 2 of our group broke off and sunk the CV hiting A48 I think it was, while the rest of us turned around to finish off the town... We went and landed, uped some fighters, came back, cleared out the resistance and took the base.. :D  

I love this ack! Made me realize how important my bombing runs are.  Just wish I had something to spend these 7100 bomber perks on...:confused:
From the ashes of the old we rise to fly again. Behold The Phoenix Wing!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2006, 03:13:50 AM »
Changes are for the better.

Hammy dont be sitting out in the cold and casting negative assumptions.

The water is still warm and cosy time to jump back in and take a look.  After the cache/freeze frame issue is resolved.

What we have now is proper fights for bases.  Vulching the runway and porking is MUCH harder.  No puffy ack but 8 auto guns in town with double the amount of soft guns on field.  If you havent got guys on your side that are prepared to go in with rockets and cannon.  The base will never be captured.  

We had some great fun last night.  Players are way more confident to up from a capped field leading to a target rich environment.  Rather than jumping into gvs because all their ack is down or moving base.  

Bases are changing hands less which means prolonged fights and a war with some sort of achievement if a country does win.  

Bruv
~S~
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2006, 07:07:15 AM »
Originally posted by RDSaustinTX
This is seriously screwed-up and getting worse. It makes anything but horde war pointless. As if furballers didn't have enough opportunities.

Can't stop the horde, so they make it worse.  :rolleyes:

I have known HT since he was a noob in AW DOS. He's a true enthusiast and a great programmer, but his gameplay intuition is on par with his spelling. We need somebody like Jon Barron to fix this.

Fuel got unporkable (hey that's realistic). Horde keeps fuel. Sneak attacks got impossible with base flashing (they that's realistic), so horde doesn't need to pay attention to other bases. ENY manipulation is fuggin insane and doesn't work, but we still got it. Now the field can't be attacked unless you're a horde. Can't stop the horde from taking fields unless you want to goon hunt under a horde. Boy that's fun.

IMO the arena split was not a bad idea (EW and MW have been a blast), but now try making a difference in any way with a EW plane. Pointless.

Graphics engine is a dog. Maps have been stale for years. GV model has never been good. Strat system is completely irrelevant. So HTC spends time doing this. Sheesh.

Tired of being engineered to fly the way a vocal group of furballers want me to. Some of us are here just to achieve some modest tactical success with a small group of good friends. Most of my squad (4-5 year vets) are ready to quit.

I have been enamored with online flight sims 18 years now, but this is getting too deep. Ridiculous amount of arbitrary klooge, stacked upon klooge, nicely frosted with klooge.

Was looking forward to a nice night w/ buds after a tough week. They all logged. Hope something good is on history channel.

Will start shopping the other sims tomorrow.  :(

Ok.  Are you done moaning?  What do you see that would 'help' make the game 'fun'?

Got any ideas?  I think this is the place to express them.  Whining and moaning about 'how I don't like this' doesn't really help.  

Don't like the game?  Wait awhile, it will change.  What to be part of that change, or just sit in the peanut gallery throwing peants?   The choice is yours.

Before, it was easy for two people to take a base.  Now it takes four or five.  Maybe the problem isn't with AH, but in the way you all attack a base?  For eight players, you can go H2H and all practice on any map in the set.  Good luck finding another Sim.

Regards,

Malta

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2006, 08:35:01 AM »
Originally posted by RDSaustinTX
This is seriously screwed-up and getting worse. It makes anything but horde war pointless. As if furballers didn't have enough opportunities.

true

Can't stop the horde, so they make it worse.  :rolleyes:

true (maybe)

I have known HT since he was a noob in AW DOS. He's a true enthusiast and a great programmer, but his gameplay intuition is on par with his spelling. We need somebody like Jon Barron to fix this.

Fuel got unporkable (hey that's realistic). Horde keeps fuel.

yup, bad change. people whined it stopped the fights, the only thing it stopped was the horde.

Sneak attacks got impossible with base flashing (they that's realistic), so horde doesn't need to pay attention to other bases.

bases need to flash to give you warning. How else would you know?

ENY manipulation is fuggin insane and doesn't work, but we still got it. Now the field can't be attacked unless you're a horde. Can't stop the horde from taking fields unless you want to goon hunt under a horde. Boy that's fun.

ENY was needed to stop countries out numbering others, and it WORKED for the old MA but now it doesn't do **** if people don't like whats happening in one arena, they go to another meaning side A will have very few in LWO, but will have double the numbers of the other teams in LWB. So far nothing has been done. However i don't know how long programming some of the ideas me, slapshot and kev came up with would take

IMO the arena split was not a bad idea (EW and MW have been a blast), but now try making a difference in any way with a EW plane. Pointless.

I have not gone to EW/MW since the changes but i should imagine that base captures are almost impossible in there, unless you are a rook with double the numbers (as they often do in EW). So the minority got what they want a furball arena. It would be cool if the fields matched there era. IE EW had few hangers, and very few guns, defence lacking... then it builds up to the current setup in just LW. That would be slightly more realistic

Graphics engine is a dog. Maps have been stale for years. GV model has never been good.

absolute rubbish, i used to agree but AHII *CAN* have much better skin resolution than any game. And its not JUST about graphics. HL1 mods are still more popular than the same mods on the HL2 engine.... you know why? its about game play, not about pretty explosions etc

Strat system is completely irrelevant. So HTC spends time doing this. Sheesh.

I agree and disagree with this. Yes, the strat system is old, and not the greatest system, HOWEVER. AAA just got really strong right? So what have i been hitting all day long? Cities (they resupply factories) then the AAA factory. now the AAA stays down ALOT longer with the factory dead. Yes its too simple, but it DOES have some effect.

Tired of being engineered to fly the way a vocal group of furballers want me to. Some of us are here just to achieve some modest tactical success with a small group of good friends. Most of my squad (4-5 year vets) are ready to quit.

have you tried? Now to take a field you need probably 2 waves. one load of, lets say p38s or p47s with rockets... then the 2nd wave to clear the skies and kill town. Yes i agree that the minority have "won" again maybe... but errm all they want is more fights and that IS what this is about

I have been enamored with online flight sims 18 years now, but this is getting too deep. Ridiculous amount of arbitrary klooge, stacked upon klooge, nicely frosted with klooge.

Was looking forward to a nice night w/ buds after a tough week. They all logged. Hope something good is on history channel.

Will start shopping the other sims tomorrow.  :(

cya :(
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: November 19, 2006, 09:23:39 AM »
I thought only skunks loosed their essence?  

lazs
Public Relations Officer for the BK's

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2006, 09:25:04 AM »
Originally posted by Flayed1
I love this ack! Made me realize how important my bombing runs are.  Just wish I had something to spend these 7100 bomber perks on...:confused:

Bingo!
Towns are not to be taken down by a hoard of strafing niks, but with carpet bombing from over 7k AGL. Kill the buildings and the acks from safe alt, lets the jabos finish the scraps. Now bomber guys have a role. Not to mention killing the AAA factories can really help.

keep your 7100 perks for perked ordnance... :aok
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2006, 11:45:24 AM »
Originally posted by stantond
Ok.  Are you done moaning?  What do you see that would 'help' make the game 'fun'?

Got any ideas?  I think this is the place to express them.  Whining and moaning about 'how I don't like this' doesn't really help.  

The game has been plenty of fun over the years, but the cumulative effects of trying to artificially engineer the gameplay are making small squad operations pointless. That reduces my enjoyment and I just said so.

The rest of your response implies that HT cares what the non-furballing players think. That appears to be seriously misinformed.

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2006, 11:56:51 AM »
Originally posted by Overlag
I have not gone to EW/MW since the changes but i should imagine that base captures are almost impossible in there, unless you are a rook with double the numbers (as they often do in EW). So the minority got what they want a furball arena. It would be cool if the fields matched there era. IE EW had few hangers, and very few guns, defence lacking... then it builds up to the current setup in just LW. That would be slightly more realistic

Very good idea. Let the uber planes deal with uber ack.

absolute rubbish, i used to agree but AHII *CAN* have much better skin resolution than any game. And its not JUST about graphics. HL1 mods are still more popular than the same mods on the HL2 engine.... you know why? its about game play, not about pretty explosions etc

I could care less about pretty explosions, esp. when it becomes a resource pig. I see pretty fires and animated water but trees and hills magically appear 20' away. What about the other points? You think the maps are adequate? You think the GV model works? LOT of work needed there.

I agree and disagree with this. Yes, the strat system is old, and not the greatest system, HOWEVER. AAA just got really strong right? So what have i been hitting all day long? Cities (they resupply factories) then the AAA factory. now the AAA stays down ALOT longer with the factory dead. Yes its too simple, but it DOES have some effect.

The strat system should be at least as elaborate as the ENY system. And a buttload more intuitive.

have you tried? Now to take a field you need probably 2 waves. one load of, lets say p38s or p47s with rockets... then the 2nd wave to clear the skies and kill town. Yes i agree that the minority have "won" again maybe... but errm all they want is more fights and that IS what this is about

I predict this will not really mean more "fights", unless you mean clouds of cherry pickers.

Yours was a reasoned and thoughtful response. Thanks
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 12:03:09 PM by RDSaustinTX »

Offline Thrawn

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2006, 12:05:09 PM »
I miss the days when I could up in a Spit, de-ack a base, auger, up a goon and capture the base all by myself.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2006, 12:12:15 PM »
I have not gone to EW/MW since the changes but i should imagine that base captures are almost impossible in there, unless you are a rook with double the numbers (as they often do in EW).

Not true ... In the last 2 days in MW, I have participated in at least 4 base captures that were successful ... they did require coordination and persistance and we did it without 30-40 people ... the most I saw on any of these captures was about 8-10 in the air and 4 or 5 on the ground.

These new ack changes have given a role to the GVs ... especially the Ostwind. I took one to two bases and completely de-acked the base from a safe distance, which helped when the air cover arrived.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2006, 12:26:57 PM »
Blah blah wah wah blah blah wah!  I haven't been able to log into the game for almost a month now because my computer was stolen in a burgulary of my home.  
To hear all this moaning seems a bit twittish(twit like, twit esque, of twit in caliber) at the moment! :aok :D

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Spiffing

• Copper Member
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2006, 12:46:33 PM »
Originally posted by Thrawn
I miss the days when I could up in a Spit, de-ack a base, auger, up a goon and capture the base all by myself.

While this is fun, this obviously isn't realistic hence the changes will encourage more realistic play, etc.

Thumbs up for the patch :aok

Offline jtdragon

• Copper Member
GV play
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2006, 01:49:37 PM »
Slapshot, only a couple of maps will have a place for GV play, the new map with spawn points so far way that it takes 30+ minutes to get in the game or just afew bases that spawn GV's are taking GV play out of the game just when there is a place for it now. Todays map only has a few areas that GV's can help in and in thoses they have been a big help.
JT

Offline RDSaustinTX

• Copper Member
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2006, 03:12:55 PM »
Ok this morning in MW:

I upped an f4-1 off cv and cherry-picked the nit horde taking P14. Landed 9 kills.

Then upped 24's and killed the nit cv off P14. Landed all three.

Then upped a stuka, kilt 2 gvs and nicked 4 planes as they attempted to de-ack. Landed 6 kills.

While I'm confident this is 'flying right' to some people, only 1 of my squad stayed on and I didn't have much fun.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Re: GV play
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2006, 04:25:49 PM »
Originally posted by jtdragon
Slapshot, only a couple of maps will have a place for GV play, the new map with spawn points so far way that it takes 30+ minutes to get in the game or just afew bases that spawn GV's are taking GV play out of the game just when there is a place for it now. Todays map only has a few areas that GV's can help in and in thoses they have been a big help.

Its only 1 map ... all the rest of the maps still have the same GV spawn points since they were released ... so GV spawns, for all intents and purposes ,really hasn't changed and should not present itself as a problem for the GVers.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."