Author Topic: Single 20mm cannon round takes off wing  (Read 4109 times)

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
Single 20mm cannon round takes off wing
« on: November 26, 2006, 07:05:58 AM »
Repeatedly, in EW and MW a single 20mm cannon round takes off a wing.  Spitfires, Zeros, F4F's, F4U's, all planes are vulnerable.  On the other end of the spectrum, 50 cals take a 1/2 second burst (about 20 rounds) to take off a wing.  I have plenty of film.

Either change the eny for cannon equipped planes, or lower the lethality of cannons.    Six 50's can't compare to a single cannon, and that's just wrong.

Regards,

Malta

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 07:45:43 AM »
First off how do you know that only 1 20mm hit? No really, how can you prove your point without proving this first?

Second, 4 - 8 20mm rounds at convergience  SHOULD take off your wing.

1/2 second of .50's x 6 should shred your wing, fill it full of holes, but are not likely to blow it off. You need to concentrate all your fire at one spot for a longer period of time in order to cause a catastrophic failure.

There really are not that many 20mm armed AC in early & mid war.  Secret is don't let them get a good guns solution on you.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:39:50 AM »
What Ghosth said.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

storch

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 09:19:19 AM »
malta, all those times I killed you were multiple 20mm hits.  I was slightly annoyed that you didn't go *poof* as they were all cockpit shots.  I hope that helps.

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 10:20:00 AM »
i have often shot at someone and seen multiple hit sprites, only for them to say 'you only got one ping on me'

i think what you see/hear hitting you and what the other person sees is very different.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 10:28:14 AM »
That is why I largely avoid EW--- H2C and Spit hizookas kill ya with 1 or 2 fortunately-placed pings--- the 50 cal planes need ever so many more, and without the extra horsepower (which my limited skills require:furious ) to angle for a better shot
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 10:32:02 AM »
The Guys here are all right,
remember that the decision if, where & how often you are hit is always made on your opponents computer, and that what you see is not always what your enemy sees. People tend to forget or simply ignore that.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 11:34:14 AM »
Ok,

I am relying on film, and the number of shots fired.  Fuselage shots w/20mm are different from wing shots.   Also, in a snap shot there's no way more than one shot could have hit the wing.  I totally agree about what my front end sees is different from the other persons.  Collisions are proof of that.  

If the consensus is that film cannot capture enemy shots and hits, then I'll accept that these snap shot one hit 20mm wing blow off's are not what they seem.  Anyone want to see the films?

Regards,

Malta

Offline Nomak

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 01:23:23 PM »
Originally posted by stantond

Ok,
I am relying on film,

Good, post some screen shots of the hit sprites.

Fuselage shots w/20mm are different from wing shots.

How so?  I am not sure what you are saying here.

Also, in a snap shot there's no way more than one shot could have hit the wing.  

Why?  The cyclic (sp?) rate of some cannons can be quite high.  I have landed multiple cannon rds on an opponet during a snapshot in the DA.  I know they were all cannon rds because I wanst firing MGs.

Just my thoughs

Dave

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 02:31:33 PM »
This is dangerously close to posting a whine. Normally, I would'nt be like this, but there comes a point in the time that everybody plays AH, that you have to admit that you simply got beat. You will get some feedback on why it happened, but you have to admit that the guy did get hits on you, therefore whatever happened next was inevitable.

Offline stantond

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 02:32:02 PM »
Here are two films.  The first is myself in a Hurri 2C, the second is N7 gunning me down.  N7 did a fine job, btw.

The issue I am bringin up is that this is not a 'fluke' or 'inernet lag', or even difficult to repeat.  Normally, I fly planes with 6x50 cals.  The difference between 2 cannons and 6 x 50 cals is like night and day.  Maybe the wing root has been weakened in the damage model, I really can't say.  All I can say is that it's really easy to take a wing off with a cannon round.  Fuselage shots aren't so critical.    

I'll fly the Hurri 2C around awhile and make more films.  Here are two films:

Hurricane vs Spitfire

109F vs F4U1

Normally, I only save films where I lost the fight to learn what I did wrong.  Since a whine about why I got shot down is not the point of this thread, I'll keep those to myself and just show films where I can shoot someone's wing off with just one cannon round.

Regards,

Malta
« Last Edit: November 26, 2006, 02:36:43 PM by stantond »

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 02:57:09 PM »
Originally posted by Ghosth
Secret is don't let them get a good guns solution on you.

I agree %100 with Ghosth on that statement... :)

But I would like to see cannon armed planes perked... I just happen to like  my dogfights a bit more drawn out... and that is usually accomplished with MG's.....

On a side note: Douglas Bader resisted the use of cannons for attacking Buff's... He said that they were not needed... (The dude was a legend IMO)

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »
Originally posted by Nomak

Why?  The cyclic (sp?) rate of some cannons can be quite high.  I have landed multiple cannon rds on an opponet during a snapshot in the DA.  I know they were all cannon rds because I wanst firing MGs.

Being the owner of said wing (or should I say having been) i can attest to that. ;)

Snap shot doesnt neccessarily mean a quick rake over the enemy, especially not at slower speeds. Maybe the number of hit *sounds* just doesnt coincide with the number of hits actually taken?
21 is only half the truth.

Offline mussie

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 03:26:24 PM »
Originally posted by Schatzi
Being the owner of said wing (or should I say having been) i can attest to that. ;)

Snap shot doesnt neccessarily mean a quick rake over the enemy, especially not at slower speeds. Maybe the number of hit *sounds* just doesnt coincide with the number of hits actually taken?

I think you right schatzi.... I doubt that the number of hits on the targets FE would match the Shooters FE... (Lag). After all the hits are recorded by the shooters FE arnt they ? So the Targets FE is just giving you some sound effects to let you know your stuffed....

Perhaps a way to test this is to get two planes in the TA and have both pilots film the encounter....

Offline Schatzi

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.slowcat.de
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 04:30:48 PM »
Originally posted by mussie
I think you right schatzi.... I doubt that the number of hits on the targets FE would match the Shooters FE... (Lag). After all the hits are recorded by the shooters FE arnt they ? So the Targets FE is just giving you some sound effects to let you know your stuffed....

Perhaps a way to test this is to get two planes in the TA and have both pilots film the encounter....

I can tell you without testing that they will differ. When Schutt and I still had our comps on same desk and wed fly in same area (or against each other!), there was always a difference. Also, film isnt always what was displayed in game either (film viewer uses raw data to rebuild the film, its not a frame-by-frame movie).

Also, i didnt neccessarily mean the difference between the two FE (which are undoubtedly there). I meant on his FE, recorded hits and replayed number of hit sounds might not be the same.
21 is only half the truth.