Author Topic: Collisions  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2007, 08:03:48 PM »
Originally posted by Softail
Now THAT is funny.   88 feet to manuever one plane @ 300mph is  1/10 of a second.  No one can do anything at that speed, distance and time.

The "average" blink of a human eye is 3/10th - 4/10's of a second.  By the time you blinked...you were already 132 feet past the point where the  blink started.

You're even worse at physics than I am.  Your calculations are quite wrong, since you're assuming that both airplanes are heading directly at each other.  In most cases, they aren't, so the rate of closure will be much lower.  Picture two airplanes beside each other, one flying northwest and the other northeast.  Or they might be facing opposite directions but not on a collision course, so they might pass with eighty feet to spare (on one pilot's end).  Even if the player who sees eighty feet of room doesn't maneuver, he's still not going to collide unless his airplane is closing on the other one.  Once again, I beg you boys who don't understand the issue (and aren't trying to, I might add) to get a clue.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 08:08:25 PM by Benny Moore »

Offline zorstorer

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2007, 10:18:26 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
You're even worse at physics than I am.  Your calculations are quite wrong, since you're assuming that both airplanes are heading directly at each other.  In most cases, they aren't, so the rate of closure will be much lower.  Picture two airplanes beside each other, one flying northwest and the other northeast.  Or they might be facing opposite directions but not on a collision course, so they might pass with eighty feet to spare (on one pilot's end).  Even if the player who sees eighty feet of room doesn't maneuver, he's still not going to collide unless his airplane is closing on the other one.  Once again, I beg you boys who don't understand the issue (and aren't trying to, I might add) to get a clue.

Pretty funny from a dude who is mostly wrong :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Collisions
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2007, 10:29:00 PM »
Originally posted by Coronado
my computer isnt making the distinction,, HTC  servers are.

When you downloaded and installed AH2 you set your computer up to run the game. That means the whole game! Everything you see on your screen is happening on your computer. Updates are sent in "packets" to the HTC server which then routes them to all the other computers connected to the sever and updates their computers with the info.

Offline Softail

• Copper Member
Collisions
« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore

This is a discussion about C O L L I S I O N S  right?   In order to  C O L L I D E  one must make contact indicating that the vector of the two objects is T O W A R D S each other.

flying by each other on parallel paths is .....welll...lets see.  Is NOT a collision.   So I must ask....where is my math wrong?    Besides.... those calcuations are for ONE plane heading to a single fixed point in space.   If you were closing head on with ANOTHER plane at the same speed in th opposite direction...the closure rate would be 600mhp or 172ft per second, giving you 1/20 of a second to react.

So my question is.... the math is correct but.... what is the point of your post in a C O L L I S I O N thread?

Softail.

I R Gud at Math.

Offline Benny Moore

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »
Well, one of my points is that you're assuming the two colliding airplanes are heading directly at each other.  If they're not, but rather beside each other slowly closing, there's plenty of time for a pilot to evade when they are eighty feet apart.

Aside from that, the point is that on one front end, the two aircraft collided, but on the other front end, they passed with eighty feet to spare.  The second pilot, the one who sees eighty feet of seperation, doesn't need to maneuver.

You seem to be claiming two erroneous things.  One is that whenever one pilot collides on his end, the other one would have to collide on his end also because there is no time to maneuver with only eighty feet.  As I pointed out, just because there are eighty feet between them doesn't mean that they are going to collide.  On the second pilot's front end, they're probably not going to collide at all.

The other false notion you have is that if two airplanes are on a collision course and there is eighty feet between them, they have to be facing each other and therefore only giving them a fraction of a second of time.  This is also quite wrong; what if one pilot is eighty feet behind the other and closing?  If he continues on his course, they will collide, but it will take a lot longer than a fraction of a second.

I'll try one final time to explain the situation.  Two pilots can be on a collision course.  Let's use my previous example of one pilot behind the other, travelling faster.  On his front end, there are one hundred and eighty feet between the two.  On the end of the pilot ahead of the first pilot, there is only one hundred feet's distance.  If the first pilot (the one behind) is travelling at  300 M.P.H. and the second at 290 M.P.H., then that gives them about seven seconds before they reach the point at which the first pilot's front end will show the ships being eighty feet apart and the second pilot's will show the ships colliding.

P.S.  Your mathematics are also wrong, I believe.  According to my calculations, 600 M.P.H. should be 880 feet per second, not 172 feet per second.  The calculation I used was 600 M.P.H. times 5280 feet per mile divided by 60 minutes per hour divided by 60 seconds per minute.  If this is wrong, then demonstrate why.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Collisions
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2007, 03:28:59 PM »
Went to the DA with a friend and shot film.

Now for all you people who want both to take damage .

Tell me why tangle should take any after looking at from his side.

Films best looked at from external .

Tangle's perspective.

http://www.speedyshare.com/505573530.html

My perspective.

http://www.speedyshare.com/193779581.html.

Basically from his view he gets "bronk has collieded with you.".  You then see me take damage in mid air.

My side you see me fly into his ac and take damage.

I submit this as proof collision model works as intended.

You may all now continue with whine.

Thank you for your time.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline FBplmmr

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2007, 04:11:43 PM »
well done!:aok

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
Collisions
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2007, 08:37:26 PM »
umm..no...you hit his plane.. and he took no damage

Offline Coronado

• Nickel Member
Collisions
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2007, 08:38:08 PM »
oh   you said as "intended"  i guess i can live with that.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Collisions
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2007, 09:56:03 PM »
Originally posted by Coronado
oh   you said as "intended"  i guess i can live with that.

Your going to have to until internet is faster than light.

Bronk
See Rule #4

Offline Brenjen

• Silver Member
Collisions
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2007, 10:53:20 PM »
As long as new people join this game there will be these threads, so really in a way these threads mean business is booming at HTC. IMHO Hitech should make a sticky & explain it as he did earlier in this thread, in simple terms even a simpleton like myself can understand & then below it, give a more detailed explanation for the tech heads who understand (or believe they understand) the coding that goes into it.

Granted, parts of the explanation will have to be left out because it's a trade secret & apparently patents are involved. The collision model is as accurate as it can be done with todays technology according to people I have seen post that know more than I do about it. If some of you guys that understand all this techno jargon can write a better collision model then do it & send the code to Hitech for them to look over; I bet if you came up with some ground breaking end all answer to the limitations of the current model they would be all for it.

Unfortunately I think it would involve creating new hardware with the afore mentioned "faster than light" capabilities rather than programming.:aok