Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 14487 times)

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
Global Warming
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2007, 08:54:36 PM »
Chrichton also doesn't believe the germ theory of disease.  I suppose that is another religion in his book.

However, he does believe in the paranormal, especially the bending of spoons.

At least he consistently favours the fictional side of science.
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline Gunston

• Zinc Member
Global Warming
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2007, 09:00:27 PM »
tedrbr

I'm not pitching anything about him I just happen to think he has alot of good points you should read the testimony and then dispute what he has to say if you disagree. But I guess you would rather attack his qualifications rather than debate his logic.

I can site many other sources of information that dispute the concept of man made Global Warming or as you stated eairler "Climate Change", an intresting choice of words I might add I found a quote concerning it.

"Now, as we begin the 21st century the terminology is morphing toward"climate change," whereby no matter the direction of temperature trends-- up or down-- the headlines can universally blame humans while avoiding the necessity of switching buzz-words with the periodicity of solar cycles. Such tactics may, however, backfire as peoples' common sensibilities are at last pushed over the brink."

How about some other quotes on the subject:

We have to offer up scary scenarios, make simplified, dramatic statements, and make little mention of any doubts we may have. Each of us has to decide what the right balance is between being effective and being honest."

Stephen Schneider (leading advocate of the global warming theory)
(in interview for Discover magazine, Oct 1989)

"In the United States...we have to first convince the American People and the Congress that the climate problem is real."

former President Bill Clinton in a 1997 address to the United Nations

"In the long run, the replacement of the precise and disciplined language of science by the misleading language of litigation and advocacy may be one of the more important sources of damage to society incurred in the current debate over global warming."

Dr. Richard S. Lindzen
(leading climate and atmospheric science expert- MIT)

"Researchers pound the global-warming drum because they know there is politics and, therefore, money behind it. . . I've been critical of global warming and am persona non grata."

Dr. William Gray
(Professor of Atmospheric Sciences at Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado and leading expert of hurricane prediction )
(in an interview for the Denver Rocky Mountain News, November 28, 1999)

"Science should be both compelling and widely accepted before Federal regulations are promulgated."

Dr. David L. Lewis
(27-year veteran of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and
critic of the agency's departure from scientific rationale in favor of political agenda)
(in an interview for Nature Magazine, June 27, 1996)

"Scientists who want to attract attention to themselves, who want to attract great funding to themselves, have to (find a) way to scare the public . . . and this you can achieve only by making things bigger and more dangerous than they really are."

Petr Chylek
(Professor of Physics and Atmospheric Science, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia)
Commenting on reports by other researchers that Greenland's glaciers are melting.
(Halifax Chronicle-Herald, August 22, 2001) (8)

"Even if the theory of global warming is wrong, we will be doing the right thing -- in terms of economic policy and environmental policy."

Tim Wirth , while U.S. Senator, Colorado.
After a short stint as United Nations Under-Secretary for Global Affairs (4)
he now serves as President, U.N. Foundation, created by Ted Turner and his $1 billion "gift"

"No matter if the science is all phony, there are collateral environmental benefits.... Climate change [provides] the greatest chance to bring about justice and equality in the world."

Christine Stewart, Minister of the Environment of Canada
recent quote from the Calgary Herald

Offline Gunston

• Zinc Member
Global Warming
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2007, 09:10:30 PM »
Originally posted by AKH
Chrichton also doesn't believe the germ theory of disease.  I suppose that is another religion in his book.

However, he does believe in the paranormal, especially the bending of spoons.

At least he consistently favours the fictional side of science.

Yea this guy dosen't believe in germs

CRICHTON, (John) Michael. American. Born in Chicago, Illinois, October 23, 1942. Educated at Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, A.B. (summa cum laude) 1964 (Phi Beta Kappa). Henry Russell Shaw Travelling Fellow, 1964-65. Visiting Lecturer in Anthropology at Cambridge University, England, 1965. Graduated Harvard Medical School, M.D. 1969; post-doctoral fellow at the Salk Institute for Biological Sciences, La Jolla, California 1969-1970. Visiting Writer, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1988.

You'll have to show me where you found that at

Offline AKH

• Nickel Member
Global Warming
« Reply #93 on: January 24, 2007, 10:42:28 PM »
Wikipedia

"In his autobiography Travels, Crichton outlined in detail his beliefs and alleged personal encounters with paranormal phenomena. He endorsed the validity of psychic spoon-bending, claiming to have seen it successfully accomplished. In a late chapter, Crichton also casts doubt on the truthfulness of the Germ Theory of Disease, saying the existence of microbial pathogens and the precise causes of human illness had not been demonstrated to his satisfaction and that the medical establishment had adopted the untested theory too quickly, perhaps with unethical economic incentive."

Maybe it needs an edit?
AKHoopy Arabian Knights
google koan: "Your assumptions about the lives of others are in direct relation to your naïve pomposity."

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2007, 11:14:27 PM »
Or a source.  I've seen less controversial things been immediately removed for the lack of a source.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2007, 11:58:26 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Or a source.  I've seen less controversial things been immediately removed for the lack of a source.
In his autobiography Travels

Offline Debonair

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2007, 12:12:36 AM »
whenevar i edit stuffs its always gone nextime i look@it.
jerks:mad::mad:

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2007, 12:14:47 AM »
from,Revelation 21
The New Jerusalem
 1Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2

Soo, After the War predicted in Ezekiel 38, Muslim vs Israel/West blahhhhhhh,   the world must change climatic, geografic,acording with books of revelations, and this must be the begin of the changes, and get ready for the 1000s years peace with Mesiah/Jesus as global  governor.
  But most of you "christians" you don't belive !:(

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Global Warming
« Reply #98 on: January 25, 2007, 01:06:33 AM »
:lol
Ghi you should take a job as therapist for people with stress issues... just take care not to kill them from  laughter.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 01:10:13 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Global Warming
« Reply #99 on: January 25, 2007, 06:32:38 AM »
I gotta go with MT.  This thread is getting goofier by the minute.

Ahh hmmmm.

The Alarmist: "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
The Pessimist: "We are all going to die."
The Scholar: "I told you so."
The Religious Nut: "We have angered the gods!"
The Actor: "It's all Bush's fault!"
The Researcher: "I can find 100 reasons why it is happening!"
The Researcher: "I can find 100 reasons why it is not happening!"
The Politician: "Ohhh, there is some money to made here!"
The Comedian"  "Hehe, ."
The Expert: "I have read about this and you are wrong, no matter what stance you take."
The Mook:  "I r teh brain.  U fart too much!"
The Rebel: "Eh?  Clueless lot."
Alfred E. Newman:  "What?  Me Worry?"
The Pragmatist: "Yep, now let me drink my beer."

That last one might be too subtle.

:D
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 06:59:44 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Global Warming
« Reply #100 on: January 25, 2007, 08:33:22 AM »
I dunno skuzzy... in some ways it may be even simpler than that..

In all of this.. the alarmists.. the ones who want big brother to do something NOW before some of us boil and some of us freeze....

Well.. they all say that we are "contributing" to global warming... this is a little less precise than is needed to get up a real good scare worthy of lifestyle changes and money in their coffers sooooo..

They have escalated to using the even more scientific term of "significant" to describe mans contribution.

Like the old song goes.. "they tell me it will kill me but they won't say when"..

On the other side.. (and I am one of those)  we have seen science politicized many times in order to raise its own funding or importance... they are as hungry for the spotlight as the worst movie star these "scientists"  we have also seen them fall flat on their face in the most dire of their predictions..

The "consensus" of "scientists in the 70's warned of global ice age that was a mere 30 years off...  I am sure a lot of money was dumped down that rat hole...

The horrific hurricane season that never happened this year...   Hell... the consensus was out to kill galeleo.

continents move... pluto isn't a planet and we have no ice age or horrific hurrican season and the "scientists" still can't cure the common cold or tell you what the weather will be next year.

then... in the end...  they still won't tell us what to do if we go into a global ice age next time around.

I think I will wait till I see something better than "consensus" or "significant effect we think"

If you are really frieghtened...  I would suggest sending a check to whatever whacko researcher that scares you the most.

lazs

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #101 on: January 25, 2007, 06:40:26 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
The Alarmist: "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
The Pessimist: "We are all going to die."
The Scholar: "I told you so."
The Religious Nut: "We have angered the gods!"
The Actor: "It's all Bush's fault!"
The Researcher: "I can find 100 reasons why it is happening!"
The Researcher: "I can find 100 reasons why it is not happening!"
The Politician: "Ohhh, there is some money to made here!"
The Comedian"  "Hehe, ."
The Expert: "I have read about this and you are wrong, no matter what stance you take."
The Mook:  "I r teh brain.  U fart too much!"
The Rebel: "Eh?  Clueless lot."
Alfred E. Newman:  "What?  Me Worry?"
The Pragmatist: "Yep, now let me drink my beer."
LMAO good one

Originally posted by Lazs
...On the other side.. (and I am one of those) we have seen science politicized many times in order to raise its own funding or importance... they are as hungry for the spotlight as the worst movie star these "scientists" we have also seen them fall flat on their face in the most dire of their predictions..

The "consensus" of "scientists in the 70's warned of global ice age that was a mere 30 years off... I am sure a lot of money was dumped down that rat hole...

The horrific hurricane season that never happened this year... Hell... the consensus was out to kill galeleo.

continents move... pluto isn't a planet and we have no ice age or horrific hurrican season and the "scientists" still can't cure the common cold or tell you what the weather will be next year.

then... in the end... they still won't tell us what to do if we go into a global ice age next time around.

I think I will wait till I see something better than "consensus" or "significant effect we think"...

LOL Lazs, I like your 'anti-science' rants. Just don't forget that all you hold on so dearly was brought to you directly or indirectly by great scientists, inventors and philosophers. Cars, guns and little bit of freedom.

:aok

PS
It wasn't scientific consensus who accused Galileo of heresy but Church...

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #102 on: January 25, 2007, 07:39:45 PM »
This still comes down to 2 camps who beleive they are correct based on collections of data that is very compeling. In fact the data from either side is neither 100% correct but neither unconvincing. Neither will be 100% untill the event happens or dosen't happen.

The pro global warming groups in the end result seem to want the worlds population and particularly that of the U.S. to do exactly what they deem neccessary to save the planet. The only absolut way this can be accomplished is if the collective populations make the ultimate sacrifice of giving their freedoms over to the nebulous scientific\political groups who are crying this so THEY can save us from ourselves and the impending DOOM. But,,,,,they cannot tell us if it will happen or when it will happen. They can only make theorys that project it may happen given x, y, z, a, b, c...etc...adfinitum. In the mean while they resolve to a fundimentalist statement: BUT IT WILL HAPPEN and you are stoopid, uneducated, unenlightened and evil if you dissagree with us.

The con global warming groups cite sun spot cycles, earth orbit cycles, ocean current fresh water cycles, volcanic eruption cycles and cycle upon cycles of sampled physical earth data. Then tell us the planet has done this before and will do it again. Funny no one metions how much CO2 was emitted from Pinitubu and St. Helna.....but I digress. Still they only present theories that can negate the pro theories fact for fact until this becomes and act of faith to beleive.

I don't see either camp proving themselves RIGHT. But in a funny way I do see a parrallel to how Christianity and the act of FAITH in God is being turned around here. Anyone who does not beleive in Global Warming and the end of the world as we know it are unbeleiving, uneducated heritics.  But as of yet NO ONE has any solutions other than ignore the global warming crowd as lunies or the world is ending give up your freedom and hard earned MONEY so we can save you.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
Global Warming
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2007, 08:34:14 AM »
2bighorn...how are my posts anti science?   I am merely stating that they have been wrong many times in the past and...  when it comes to doomsday... they are always wrong.  When it comes to the weather.. they can't even predict it while it is happening.   They have a long way to go so far as global climate change prediction and cause goes...  start with telling me what will happen in a couple of months and do better than the farmers almanac.

I believe in science... I don't believe in politicized science and neither should you.   science should not have an agenda and science should not try to shut out debate.

Inventors are scientists?   Ok.. kind of a loose definition but then I guess, as a fabricator and inventor of sorts that I am a scientist too.  I guess my "scientific" opinion on global warming is just as valid as some nutritunists or such.

sooooo in my "scientific" opinion....

so far as galileo... I don't think he had a consensus of scientists defending him.   That is not the point tho is it?   I believe he was right.   No harm was done believing either way tho was it?    Acting on beliefs did cause a great deal of harm tho.

I really don't see much difference in religions here.   To believe in man made global warming and it's "significant" effect at this point is a fervent leap of faith.

lazs

storch

Global Warming
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2007, 10:30:48 AM »
back in the mid seventies there was funding available for the doomsayers if the prognosticated another ice age.  predictably there were plenty of articles prognosticating an iceage trend by the turn of the century.  the reasons given?  smog not allowing the sunlight to warm the oceans and the resulting cooler temperatures.

the "scientists" are human, follow the grant money and you'll see where the politics influence the "science".