Author Topic: Global Warming  (Read 14503 times)

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #105 on: January 26, 2007, 10:47:39 AM »
Originally posted by storch
back in the mid seventies there was funding available for the doomsayers if the prognosticated another ice age.  predictably there were plenty of articles prognosticating an iceage trend by the turn of the century.  the reasons given?  smog not allowing the sunlight to warm the oceans and the resulting cooler temperatures.

the "scientists" are human, follow the grant money and you'll see where the politics influence the "science".

No ice age today, money well spent. :aok

Let's not pay the Global Warmingists, they might send us into an ice age. ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 11:11:36 AM by lukster »

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #106 on: January 26, 2007, 11:11:22 AM »
Originally posted by moot
:lol
Ghi you should take a job as therapist for people with stress issues... just take care not to kill them from  laughter.

Hey, bloody heretic, don't laugh !, you should obey the dogmatic rules of your religion, and trust holy bible's prophetic msg,amen !

I used to work few years on the cruise ships for Princess Cruises, in "96 i've been first time  in Alaska inside pasage, to Glaciar Bay and we used to have park rangers on board explaining the passengers the lanscape, ever since i belive in global warming

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #107 on: January 26, 2007, 11:13:31 AM »
Originally posted by ghi
Hey, bloody heretic, don't laugh !, you should obey the dogmatic rules of your religion, and trust holy bible's prophetic msg,amen !

I used to work few years on the cruise ships for Princess Cruises, in "96 i've been first time  in Alaska inside pasage, to Glaciar Bay and we used to have park rangers on board explaining the passengers the lanscape, ever since i belive in global warming

Don't know about you ghi but the 2004 pic looks far more inviting to me. Tell me why we need penguins again? Other than to amuse the kiddies at the theater.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #108 on: January 26, 2007, 11:47:36 AM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Mankind has been doomed from the first day some blob of flesh stood up and walked.  If we do not kill ourselves, something else will.  It is the nature of everything.  Change is the only true constant of the universe.

We are far too ignorant to be able to know with absolute certainty what is happening with the environment of this planet.

The Merry Minuet :D
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Global Warming
« Reply #109 on: January 26, 2007, 11:55:48 AM »
Dunt know what that linky is about Dred.  Nothing shows.  Not unusual, as Yourturd, er YouBoob, er YouGoob,.. does not work for me either.

I take it you support my opinion.  Thank you fer yer support.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #110 on: January 26, 2007, 11:59:37 AM »
A guy at work (ret USAF pilot, very smart cookie) keeps telling people (me) to invest in property in Siberia and Iceland because in 30 years thats where several billion people will want to be.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Global Warming
« Reply #111 on: January 26, 2007, 12:12:17 PM »
Originally posted by Skuzzy
Dunt know what that linky is about Dred.  Nothing shows.  Not unusual, as Yourturd, er YouBoob, er YouGoob,.. does not work for me either.

I take it you support my opinion.  Thank you fer yer support.

odd. works for me.

Anyone who cant see it should be able to find it by doing a google video search.
Song written in 1958, performed by the Kingston Trio and done showing more recent headlines and images
Funny just how little things have changed

anyway. the lyrics go like this

but looks better int he video LOL

The Merry Minuet

They're rioting in Africa
They're starving in Spain
There's hurricanes in Florida
And Texas needs rain
the Whole world is festering iwht unhappy souls
The French hate the Germans, the Germans hate the Poles
Italians hate Yugoslavs, South Africans hate the Dutch
And I don't like Anybody very much.

But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud
For man's been endowed with a mushroom-shaped cloud
And we know for certain that some lucky day
Someone will set the spark off and we will all be blown away

They're rioting in Africa
There's strife in Iran
What nature doesn't do to us
Will be done by our fellow Man

-- Sheldon Harnick @1958
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline Donzo

• Gold Member
      • http://www.bops.us
Global Warming
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2007, 12:29:57 PM »
Originally posted by ghi

How does one know that the bay did not look like it does now many years ago?

People point to pics like these and say it's due to global warming.  Actually it is...things warmed up and the glacier melted.  What's to say that it has not done this freeze/melt thing many times in the past?

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #113 on: January 26, 2007, 05:02:23 PM »
Originally posted by Donzo
People point to pics like these and say it's due to global warming.  Actually it is...things warmed up and the glacier melted.  What's to say that it has not done this freeze/melt thing many times in the past?
Probably it has. But that said, there were no people around to be affected.

I don't care bout doomsayers and I really do not wish politicians to come out with crazy measures to protect the world.

But I'm also selfish enough to be afraid of significant climate change during my life time. As it is now, a little bit of ice rain causes chaos in half the country. A single hurricane brings south to still stand. We, the most powerful country in the world have problems with few inches of rainfall above the average, etc...

You get the idea.

Lazs, I've listed inventors separately to scientists, but yes, a good inventor who understands its work is a scientist of sort, its ideas are proved with practical rather than theoretical work. If you're inventor, than more power to you and you just climbed up on my respect list.

You are correct that scientist were wrong in the past, but for every time they were wrong they were right hundreds of times.
Definitely I trust them more than world of corporate bandits, sleazy politicians, church dogma, religious environmentalists or internet forum know-it-alls.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2007, 05:24:02 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
Probably it has. But that said, there were no people around to be affected.

I don't care bout doomsayers and I really do not wish politicians to come out with crazy measures to protect the world.

But I'm also selfish enough to be afraid of significant climate change during my life time. As it is now, a little bit of ice rain causes chaos in half the country. A single hurricane brings south to still stand. We, the most powerful country in the world have problems with few inches of rainfall above the average, etc...

You get the idea.

Lazs, I've listed inventors separately to scientists, but yes, a good inventor who understands its work is a scientist of sort, its ideas are proved with practical rather than theoretical work. If you're inventor, than more power to you and you just climbed up on my respect list.

You are correct that scientist were wrong in the past, but for every time they were wrong they were right hundreds of times.
Definitely I trust them more than world of corporate bandits, sleazy politicians, church dogma, religious environmentalists or internet forum know-it-alls.

Do your part then, you can start by selling your car and walking everywhere you go.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2007, 05:48:14 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
Do your part then, you can start by selling your car and walking everywhere you go.
As I've said I'm selfish. Just because I believe scientists are right about global warming it doesn't mean I wanna sacrifice my comfort for some higher cause. I love my gas guzzler and I like to use it, thank you.

I'll leave the task of saving our country to patriots like you...

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2007, 05:49:10 PM »
Originally posted by lukster
Actually just selling the car and walking isn't enough because the car's new owner will continue to burn fossil fuels and stink up the environment.  No, what he has to do is to give th car to the recycler and start walking today.

Offline lukster

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2007, 05:50:34 PM »
Originally posted by 2bighorn
As I've said I'm selfish. Just because I believe scientists are right about global warming it doesn't mean I wanna sacrifice my comfort for some higher cause. I love my gas guzzler and I like to use it, thank you.

I'll leave the task of saving our country to patriots like you...

Thank you. I hereby declare that global warming will not have disasterous affect. Go about your life without fear.

Offline Gunston

• Zinc Member
Global Warming
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2007, 06:18:42 PM »
I sugest taking the Global Warming test at the following link. It will shed light on what you think you know about the subject.

http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/GlobWarmTest/start.html

But first let me give you a cheat sheet so your prepared:

Approximately every 100,000 years Earth's climate warms up temporarily. These warm periods, called interglacial periods, appear to last approximately 15,000 to 20,000 years before regressing back to a cold ice age climate. At year 18,000 and counting our current interglacial vacation from the Ice Age is much nearer its end than its beginning.

In the 1970s concerned environmentalists like Stephen Schneider of the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado feared a return to another ice age due to manmade atmospheric pollution blocking out the sun.

Since about 1940 the global climate did in fact appear to be cooling. Then a funny thing happened-- sometime in the late 1970s temperature declines slowed to a halt and ground-based recording stations during the 1980s and 1990s began reading small but steady increases in near-surface temperatures. Fears of "global cooling" then changed suddenly to "global warming,"-- the cited cause: manmade atmospheric pollution causing a runaway greenhouse effect.

Global warming alarmists maintain that global temperatures have increased since about A.D. 1860 to the present as the result of the so-called "Industrial Revolution,"-- caused by releases of large amounts of greenhouse gases (principally carbon dioxide) from manmade sources into the atmosphere causing a runaway "Greenhouse Effect."

Was man really responsible for pulling the Earth out of the Little Ice Age with his industrial pollution? If so, this may be one of the greatest unheralded achievements of the Industrial Age!

FUN FACTS about CARBON DIOXIDE

Of the 186 billion tons of CO2 that enter earth's atmosphere each year from all sources, only 6 billion tons are from human activity. Approximately 90 billion tons come from biologic activity in earth's oceans and another 90 billion tons from such sources as volcanoes and decaying land plants.

At 368 parts per million CO2 is a minor constituent of earth's atmosphere-- less than 4/100ths of 1% of all gases present. Compared to former geologic times, earth's current atmosphere is CO2- impoverished.

CO2 is odorless, colorless, and tasteless. Plants absorb CO2 and emit oxygen as a waste product. Humans and animals breathe oxygen and emit CO2 as a waste product. Carbon dioxide is a nutrient, not a pollutant, and all life-- plants and animals alike-- benefit from more of it. All life on earth is carbon-based and CO2 is an essential ingredient. When plant-growers want to stimulate plant growth, they introduce more carbon dioxide.

CO2 that goes into the atmosphere does not stay there but is continually recycled by terrestrial plant life and earth's oceans-- the great retirement home for most terrestrial carbon dioxide.

If we are in a global warming crisis today, even the most aggressive and costly proposals for limiting industrial carbon dioxide emissions would have a negligible effect on global climate!

There with that little cheat sheet you should probably do pretty well.

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Global Warming
« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2007, 06:42:44 PM »
LOL, You see Gunston, Lukster, there's difference between us.

With all the evidence, common sense tells me there is global climate change happening. At the same time I'm honest about my desire to do nothing and I very much love my life as it is and I really don't wanna sacrifice my living standard no matter what and I'll resist to all sweeping measures undertaken by our corrupt politicians, whether being blue, red or yellow. To me all their colors appear to be of chitty brown tone anyways and our once great country is nothing more but the biggest banana republic on the planet.

You on the other hand, are rather hiding behind your party line and deny, deny deny... Logic, common sense, science, all irrelevant because in reality you're the guys who are scared to think for themselves to no end.

It's given that your party leaders will make 180 degrees turn and maybe you'll feel stupid for a brief moment, but eventually you'll continue with the program like nothing ever happened.

Gutless sheep if you ask me...