Author Topic: The Second Amendment  (Read 4185 times)

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #105 on: March 25, 2007, 10:13:44 PM »
Toad, are you serious?  You went out of your way to find Jefferson quotes in which he DOESN'T say that guns are for over throwing governments?

We can't take you serious anymore (or did we ever?).  Jefferson was someone who repeatedly espoused revolution at the hands of gun owners.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline sgt203

• Nickel Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #106 on: March 25, 2007, 10:44:57 PM »
Interesting points have been made on both sides.

When I started this thread I kind of knew things may get a little heated as I know poeple are very passionate about this issue..

What I havent seen addressed by anyone though is if it is the point of view the rights to not extend to the individual why do many State Constitutions EXPRESSLY STATE that this is an individual right???

Now as stated most of the states adopted and ratified their state constitutions PRIOR to the US Constitution being ratified.

Why would the US Constitution have been ratified by the States if the States felt the 2nd amendment was NOT consistent with their own constitutions???

It is my contention the states ratified the constitution as it was believed to be consistent with the states own constitutions thereby meaning the 2nd amendment was for the individuals right to keep and bear arms...

( edited per below post :p )
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:48:46 PM by sgt203 »

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #107 on: March 25, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »
Uh....I think you meant the 2nd Amendment. :D
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2007, 08:17:41 AM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Toad, are you serious?  You went out of your way to find Jefferson quotes in which he DOESN'T say that guns are for over throwing governments?

Laser, are you always a male donkey? Is it a genetic thing?

Now, insults aside, Ravs had an item in his post that needed correcting, to whit:

Ravs:  right to bear arms was to ensure that citizens had the right to combat a despotic government

While that is ONE reason why the 2nd was established by the Founders, it is not the sole reason.

I think it's a mistake and helps the enemies of the 2nd to pretend that revolution is the sole reason for the 2nd. It isn't.

Therefore, I pointed out that the Founders also considered self-defense a legitimate reason to grant the right to bear arms to citizens of the US.  Much as the English Parliament did in 1689, at least for the Protestants.

So I seriously pointed out some of the less-referenced quotes of the Founders.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #109 on: March 26, 2007, 09:32:35 AM »
ravs... I believe toad and the others answered for me.   As for security over freedom being a womanly thing... It simply is.   That is the difference between men and women.   not the only one but a very important one..   Most euros and the metrosexual blue voters here are doing their best to blur the lines between men and women but..  it is genetic.

I don't care if you have a gun or not.   I only care that you have the right to have one if you want.   I can see no reason short of paranoid tyranny why I would think that I had the right to deny you the right to defend yourself with any tool you wanted so long as you did it in a reasonable manner.   If someone threatens your life you have the right to take theirs instead of them taking yours.   This is not debatable... this is not something we get to vote on or society gets to decide unless.... it is a decayed or tryranical one.

I am a fairly big guy who has seen his share of street combat..  I feel pretty safe as a rule but..  I have seen enough that I know what is out there.   I have pointed guns at people and they have become polite and well mannered where they were ill mannered and aggressive and demanding before that.

I would feel like a failure as a man if I could not defend myself or my family or fellow man against the worst any society has to offer.  I would feel foolish if I was unarmed because I thought that I lived in a safe society sooo.. why bother?

I can't always be armed..  I like having a 45 on the nightstand in a motel in a strange city tho...

I feel that those who use firearms to commit crimes need to be punished very severly because of the potential for harm.   It is a very grave responsibility to own and have a firearm for protection.   It is not for the weak and gutless and  unskilled.

I am proud of the Americans who own and carry firearms or are willing to use them and proud of the record that concealed carry people have...  

They are doing what the womenly men who lack guts and skill are too ignorant to do.  

If I was ever in a dangerous situation with aggressive criminals I would rather have one concealed carry American than 12 of the anti gun head in the sand women on this board stand with me.

I have no respect for anyone who would disarm a fellow man or who thinks they have the right to vote on it.   They are the enemy.   There is no way for us to come to an understanding short of them leaving men alone and going back in the kitchen with the women.   If that is what they want to do then it is none of my business...

hell... I have a lot more respect for the women...  they are honest and it is genetic..  and... they are also the fastest growing segment of the gun buying and carrying American.  

lazs
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 09:35:02 AM by lazs2 »

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #110 on: March 26, 2007, 10:11:22 AM »
Damn Lazs, that almost brought a tear to my eye, but I agree with you 110%

Too many people make the leap of imagination that the pro gun lobby wants to put a gun in the hands of every single American, but the truth is we just want to retain and protect the right that gives every American the option to own a gun.

Ah screw it, I'm not going to say it all again. Lazs is right on target with his post. You should send a copy of it to the NRA. I'm sure they would publish it. Hell send a copy to every congressman and senator as well. Maybe some of them will understand it.

Great post.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
sort of off topic
« Reply #111 on: March 26, 2007, 11:00:29 AM »
Lazs, I've been poking gunophobes for a good reason why guns are fundamentaly wrong, and this argument stuck out:  
His premise is that society as a whole must decide its criminals' fate.
That given this premise, you couldn't shoot someone with no witnesses on hand.  Proof of your self-defense by shooting anyone, rightly or wrongly, would not be possible, and anyone would exploit this.

I asked whether he thought that could work anywhere else than in a perfectly monitored society, where no action anyone makes could not be proven (with hard evidence) to have happened as they report.

He then said it is akin to the death penalty, that indeed, considering the gravity of what's at play, it can't responsibly be adopted unless it's 100% certain that it works 100% of the time.
That it was not worth the risk.

What would you have said?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:06:49 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Sox62

• Silver Member
Re: sort of off topic
« Reply #112 on: March 26, 2007, 11:24:53 AM »
Originally posted by moot
Lazs, I've been poking gunophobes for a good reason why guns are fundamentaly wrong, and this argument stuck out:  
His premise is that society as a whole must decide its criminals' fate.
That given this premise, you couldn't shoot someone with no witnesses on hand.  Proof of your self-defense by shooting anyone, rightly or wrongly, would not be possible, and anyone would exploit this.

I asked whether he thought that could work anywhere else than in a perfectly monitored society, where no action anyone makes could not be proven (with hard evidence) to have happened as they report.

He then said it is akin to the death penalty, that indeed, considering the gravity of what's at play, it can't responsibly be adopted unless it's 100% certain that it works 100% of the time.
That it was not worth the risk.

What would you have said?

If nothing could be adopted unless it was 100% certain,then nothing would ever be adopted.

Interesting that his argument deals only in absolutes when it comes to self-defense with a weapon.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
The Second Amendment
« Reply #113 on: March 26, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »
I think that in his opinion, the least fuel thrown on the fire of criminality, the better.. that the least tools provided to criminals, the safer everyone will be.

He was taking it in the perspective of the change to freely marketed guns from a gunless society such as his own.  What he meant to pin everything on was that the risk of adopting guns was a net worsening of overall security, since criminals had more readily available weapons, and legal users would most likely not be able to prove their case for self-defence.
The 100% threshold is justified, in his opinion, because it deals with human lives.

I agreed he made sense up to that last sentence, "That it was not worth the risk." because it changes everything.  Removing guns will only work when the state (or government, or local militia) can provide security that is 100% proven to work 100% of the time, or when humans are 100% certain to leave self-defense at the cost of another as a last resort.
Removing someone's life by restricting his means of self defense is worse than removing someone's life in self-defense, however likely or not you are to be "proven" guilty.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 11:45:56 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

storch

The Second Amendment
« Reply #114 on: March 26, 2007, 01:17:52 PM »
"an armed society is a polite society, manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life"

Robert A. Heinlein

truer words have never been uttered.

Offline ravells

• Silver Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2007, 01:35:50 PM »
Thanks Toad, that was an informative read.

You haven't quoted the relevant passage of the English Declaration of rights in full which reads:

"have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law ."

(emphasis mine).

But the way I read it, the federal constitution says:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Whereas many state constitutions include explicit rights to bear arms for self defence, defence of the home etc.

Which indicates to me that the purpose of the amendment was not intended (primarily at least) for self defence but defence of the community from external threats - particularly when read with the predicate that a well ordered militia is necessary to the security of a free state.

As I read the wiki entry, rights of self defence were considered seperate to a citizen's obligation (obligation because the conciensious objector exception was struck out during the legislative process) to protect the community.

From a practical point of view, it makes little difference I guess. If you have the right to keep and bear arms and happen to use them in self defence, then you can hardly be prosecuted for it.

Lasz: don't you think that security and freedom go hand in hand? How 'free' is a society that is not secure? That sort of society usually ends up passing legislation based on paranoia which takes away its citizens' freedoms. (The Homeland Security Act is an example of this).  You say the difference between men and women is the difference between security and freedom? By which I take it to mean following their genetic programming, women want security and men want freedom. I guess that makes most of the world hermaphrodites in your book for wanting both.

I have no doubt that you are responisble gun owner, and if there was a way to identify 'responsible' gun owners, I'd raise my hand like a shot and say - give them guns. The problem is that by giving everybody (except minors, the insane etc) the right to own a gun means that you're handing firearms to irresponsible people too.

What I find interesting is this (and I have no experience in gun combat, so tell me if I'm wrong). If everybody did carry guns, then wouldn't the element of surprise become an overwhelming advantage to the attacker? So if a criminal wants you car, rather than say, bonking you on the head or threatening you with a knife, if he believes you are carrying a firearm and are prepared to use it, is he not more likely to just shoot you in back rather than make demands with menaces (OK you lose the car but at least you're alive)? And if you were with your family, how would you handle the situation then? What I'm asking is whether you think that the universal ownership of guns would actually make crime more violent. In the example I've seen quoted here earlier, it seems that the criminals were not expecting their victim to be armed and that gave the law abiding victim the drop on the criminal.

Ravs

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2007, 02:24:46 PM »
If everybody did carry guns, then wouldn't the element of surprise become an overwhelming advantage to the attacker? So if a criminal wants you car, rather than say, bonking you on the head or threatening you with a knife, if he believes you are carrying a firearm and are prepared to use it, is he not more likely to just shoot you in back rather than make demands with menaces (OK you lose the car but at least you're alive)?

Or, perhaps they stop carjacking all together and go back to stealing cars parked on the street as the path of least resistance and least risk to the criminal.

Charon
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 02:36:53 PM by Charon »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2007, 03:08:02 PM »
Originally posted by ravells
Thanks Toad, that was an informative read...

....But the way I read it, the federal constitution says:

Ravs

Allow me to clip to save time:

One of the most influential arguments in favor of the opinion that the Second Amendment gives individuals the right to bear arms is found in the first draft of this document. James Madison, who was responsible for the formation of the Bill of Rights, wrote a first draft of the Second Amendment that was later formed into the version that is read today, "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed; a well armed and well regulated militia being the best security of a free country; but no person religiously scrupulous of bearing arms shall be compelled to render military service in person"

Seems pretty clear what they meant to say when you look at the first and last drafts together.

Also, here is another interesting read on the subject:

The Commonplace Second Amendment
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2007, 04:18:53 PM »
I can guarantee the day any law is handed down that states the government will confiscate weapons is the day the government will realise that the citizenry believes otherwise.  There are many millions of gun owners in this country.  While some will not defend their rights, the vast majority can, and will defend their rights to the end.  

Whenever this debate comes up, I am always reminded of the quote, "They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hand."

How willing are you to defend your rights as stated in the 2nd Ammendment?  I am willing to lay my life down to defend it, are you?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
The Second Amendment
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2007, 04:27:09 PM »
Originally posted by storch
"an armed society is a polite society, manners are good when one may have to back up his actions with his life"

Robert A. Heinlein

truer words have never been uttered.

Won't work if the "one" is not intellectually efficient enough to estimate what will happen to him in the future (let say the next 2 minutes :)).

Criminals are more than often dumb and obtuse.