Author Topic: gun control...  (Read 5949 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
gun control...
« Reply #270 on: April 21, 2007, 10:42:34 PM »
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
gun control...
« Reply #271 on: April 21, 2007, 10:59:50 PM »
All of the high profile shootings during this same period and since have yet to catch up to either of these events. And it's not like mutliple arson deaths on a lesser scale are rare. Arson deaths by the handful -- 3 here, 7 there, etc. -- happen all the time. Often, entire families get wiped out. We just had 11 arson deaths in two incidents in the past two weeks. In one case 5 children died, just like the Amish school shooting. Where was the 24 hour media coveage?

yup..usualy how it goes...you never hear about all the deaths on the highway..or all the stabbing deaths...but soon as some one is shot...thats all you hear.

i really think news is plain horrible and rediculous now days..makes me sick when all i see if 24 hour anna nicole for a month..or when some guy shoots some one ..all you see is about that for a month....but a poor person who gets stabbed to death daily....doesnt even get mentioned on mainstream news....like some one said up there..guns are 1% of the deaths in the country...they are just showing news on those murders to try and push more laws to controll us.

here is a pic of my meger gun colection at the moment:)

westernfield pump shot gun
30/40 krag sporter
1944 springfield m1 garand:) my baby there..lol
colt ar-15 target match lightweight
rolling block 22
1930's 22 long barrel rem
410 bolt action
22 pump

1960's p38 walther cold war..last year of the p38 before the p1
44 colt dragoon reissue\
44 uberti dragoon reissue
44 rem new army
31 cal baby navy
mini 1911 astra cub 22 short:) my little packer
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 11:42:30 PM by hyena426 »

Offline ccloughh

• Zinc Member
gun control...
« Reply #272 on: April 21, 2007, 11:01:44 PM »
wow im gonna stay away from your house lol :O :O :O

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
gun control...
« Reply #273 on: April 22, 2007, 01:49:13 AM »
Now the BATF knows just what to look for when they come to your house, Hyena.

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
gun control...
« Reply #274 on: April 22, 2007, 03:53:24 AM »
If the reason for not having tougher gun control is that it reduces the ability of regular citizens to combat crime, then what the hell are police doing these days? I'm talking USA here. It's like saying we're doing one hell of a poor job of "law and order" in this country. Anyone in AH reading this work for law-enforcement? Are you guys really that inept? All arguments against gun control that I've seen here are bad ones. If the arguments are valid, however, then what we need is vastly improved law-enforcement, AND once that is attained--gun control. The vast majority of the anti-gun-control argurments here seem to say that we need to have guns in order to protect ourselves (succeed where the police are "failing"). Since when have we latched on to the opposite of the oft-promoted idea that we shouldn't "take the law into our own hands"? Has the age of Mad Max finally arrived? Oh wait, I believe that movie was set in Australia. Hmm. The policeman is nearing extinction. Or is it that we're becoming the wild west again?

The above is an attempt to provoke intelligent argument on the subject, not to step on anyone's 2nd amendment rights, and comes from an avid skeet shooter and former hunter. I mean, in a strictly hypothetical sense, if there was absolutely no need for guns to exist (no crime, no war, and an unlimited food supply not dependent on hunting) would it really be necessary for guns to even exist? I would gladly turn in my over-under 12-gauge, 20-gauge and 410 if a better world would result. Hell, I'd settle for using my pellet gun for target practice. Yea, I know that it's not the world we currently live in, but how must we prolong this insanity?

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
gun control...
« Reply #275 on: April 22, 2007, 06:16:42 AM »
Often I think it's just the workload that prevents an effective response to an emergency.

We've been told before that it's often better to call the fire department in any kind of emergency because they'll arrive before the police.  In one example above during a home invasion, at least one call was made to 911 while the intruders were entering the house.  Police failed to respond.

I don't believe it's in anyone's best interest to absolutely depend upon others for protection and safety.  The best person to look after your defense and well-being, is yourself.  Personally, when living in Tampa I had a young guy strung out on dope break down my door after I'd come home in the evening and went to take a shower.  When the police arrived about 1/4 of an hour after my 911 call, one officer said that was a relatively rapid response.

Another officer has told me that they routinely delay responses to armed situations in order to allow the perps to escape and not place them in a situation where hostages might be taken.

Bottom line is...you should be ready for a huge disappointment if you're going to rely on someone else to go in harm's way to protect you and your loved ones.
Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline hyena426

• Silver Member
gun control...
« Reply #276 on: April 22, 2007, 08:08:37 AM »
Now the BATF knows just what to look for when they come to your house, Hyena.

why would they come to my house? i own nothing illegal to be worried about ..i have a spotless record....and most of my guns are so old they dont even count in most gun laws that are passed...as of yet:P

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
gun control...
« Reply #277 on: April 22, 2007, 08:33:48 AM »
I think you're missing my point, warspawn and charon. Let me repeat I'm not in favour of gun control. But I do think the easy availability of guns, while it doesn't cause these massacres. It essentially facilitates them. That's not an argument for gun control just an essential fact.

There is a pattern with these crazies, problems relating to people, lack of success in their personal and working lives, loners, gun obsessed, paranoid, fantasists. It's a common thread. They storm into a situation kill people they blame for their misfortune and then kill themselves. They go out in a blaze of glory as they see it.

Arsonists are different, they don't usually die in the fire. They enjoy watching it.

They use guns because that is the precedent. These nutjobs are out to make a point. Cho went further than most by releasing a 'press pack'. Most leave something to justify their acts.

You could kill more people with bombs or fire or simply driving a truck down a crowded street but it lacks the macho appeal of shooting people. That's why they use guns.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
gun control...
« Reply #278 on: April 22, 2007, 09:22:16 AM »
OK, Biggles I'd like to here your detailed rationale as to why the arguments do not make sense.

1. How would bans or restrictions keep firearms or certain classes of firearms out of criminal hands? Do bans work with drugs, which are illegal in all 50 states and every bordering country, and in the case of heroin and cocaine cannot even be produced domestically? If a criminal wants a gun to have an advantage in an unarmed society, can you even remotely state that criminal would not be able to get one even with a far more restrictive marketplace. And if not, then why should the criminals be the only ones allowed to be armed?

2. "What we need is vastly improved law-enforcement..."

I would imagine, if improved  with superpowers such as ESP they could arrive on the scene of a crime before it is committed. Otherwise, we are talking about a police state with an even greater erosion on the rest of the Bill of Rights to make this happen, and still I don't think you could even remotely attain the goal of the police preventing crime -- do the math.

3. Since when have we latched on to the opposite of the oft-promoted idea that we shouldn't "take the law into our own hands"?

You're describing vigilante justice -- going out and looking for someone who has already committed a crime or for potential criminals without contacting law enforcement. It's not "taking the law into your own hands" to defend yourself or your family from violence. Would you suggest telling the criminal breaking in the door to please wait while I call the police and for the 5-30 minutes before they arrive before you continue so we can do this the official way? If somebody took a swing at you, would you let him pummel you or swing back?

4.I mean, in a strictly hypothetical sense, if there was absolutely no need for guns to exist (no crime, no war, and an unlimited food supply not dependent on hunting) would it really be necessary for guns to even exist?

Not if you could completely change ingrained human nature over night. Could you stop a 230 lb (all muscle) vicious prison-hardened predator with your bare hands from doing whatever he wanted to you and anyone one else you care about? What about two or three of these predators? Let's say you were wrongly accused of a crime and ended up in a "gun free" prison with hardened criminals. Would you feel safe bending over to pick up the soap in a shower? No guns after all.

A firearm allows the aged, infirm, women or even average folk to level the playing field with these predators. And if they have a gun at least it's a draw, and likely a win for the good guys if they actually know how to use the weapon. In fact, a range of violent criminal behavior tends to evaporate if criminals feel that there is a likelihood of meeting resistance --  home invasion while the occupants are inside, for example.

Would you feel safe walking alone down the streets of the worst urban crime areas if guns were removed from the equation? Would you want a gun for protection if you had to live or work in these neighborhoods? I know when I lived in Chicago, in a "middle ground" neighborhood and occasionally entered in and out of far worse neighborhoods I had little actual fear of "firearm violence" per se. I had little fear of violence in general, frankly, but when I was worried I usually projected being surrounded and beaten to death for robbery and amusement. No real need to use a gun if I couldn't really pose a serious threat.

4. I would gladly turn in my over-under 12-gauge, 20-gauge and 410 if a better world would result.

The primary argument for the Second Amendment has nothing to do with "hunting" or "sporting purposes." Any hunting or sporting rights you may appreciate are not in fact covered under the Constitution at all. It's not even primarily about personal self defense, though that is certainly covered in the Constitution.

Ultimately, the final line of defense for our republic is in our hands. We are not subjects, we are citizens who do not need to rely on the kindness of our leaders since we, ourselves, lead this country. The founders fully knew this since an armed population was what enabled our freedom in the first place. One could argue that we "are beyond all that" but frankly I don't quite see it just yet. I believe we are perhaps one nuclear terrorist attack away from having a government quite different from the one now, perhaps one "only for the duration of the emergency" but that may not want to turn back the clock once that emergency has passed. It was within living generations that we saw the Holocaust, Pol Pot, Rawanda (mostly killed with machetes) , the Yugoslavian break up and mass killings, the civil rights killings in the south, the detention of the Japaneses American  -- really a long list beyond these examples. Are we as humans, and even as "civilized" Americans, past the point where we can ignore the potential for tyranny?

5. As pointed out, in the case of nutjobs like the latests guy, gasoline and match are the deadliest weapon of mass destruction, and one that is easily substituted for a firearm.

6. The hypocrisy test. Since firearm violence is directly comparable to alcohol from an impact on society standpoint, and since most non-gangbangers are at far greater risk from alcohol than firearms statistically, would you be in favor of bringing back prohibition for the good of society?

Charon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 09:43:40 AM by Charon »

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
gun control...
« Reply #279 on: April 22, 2007, 09:29:43 AM »
But I do think the easy availability of guns, while it doesn't cause these massacres. It essentially facilitates them. That's not an argument for gun control just an essential fact.

You could kill more people with bombs or fire or simply driving a truck down a crowded street but it lacks the macho appeal of shooting people. That's why they use guns.

What you have to keep in mind, is that in a population of 300 million these events are exceedingly rare. In a laundry list of fears this would be well below getting hit by lightning. If you want to regulate all potentially harmful things to this level -- everything more dangerous than lightning -- then go ahead. There would be no alcohol for sale (probaly the third thing to go after firearms and tobacco. Then would come dangerous foods, and so on. Sports would involve stationary bike races, for example. I don't particularly want to live in that society.

Arsonists are different, they don't usually die in the fire. They enjoy watching it.

In the example I cited, these were strictly people who just used fire as a means to an end, which was revenge. I don't think they enjoyed watching the fires as much as they enjoyed the though of killing the people they blamed for their problems.

Charon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:14:07 AM by Charon »

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
gun control...
« Reply #280 on: April 22, 2007, 10:41:37 AM »
Originally posted by MrRiplEy[H]
I already answered your question. Now if you can't understand it then I can't help it. As a sidenote, your world seems awfully egocentric. Me me me me ME ME ME!

But as I said everything points to the fact that in US people do need weapons and survival training. Everyone is armed, especially the criminals and due to the rampant drug problem nobody is safe anymore.

I'd probably sleep with an assault rifle loaded next to me if I lived there.

Actually no you didn't answer the questions. I really didn't expect you to since it was pretty easy to see what you said was pure fantasy bovine excrement. Pretty much like what what I quoted above here.

You really have no clue about what it's like to live here, you just like to engage in simple slander. It's hardly the "armed camp" you allege and the actual chance of being the victim of a crime especially a violent one, is rather small other than perhaps in your imagination.

I have worked in the US with people with both good and bad intentions and managed to do so without ever having to kill or shoot anyone. I don't have to deal in fantasy or baseless allegations. I've been there, done that for real. You should try it some time.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
gun control...
« Reply #281 on: April 22, 2007, 10:51:17 AM »
charon mav and others have answered all the gun control myths and "feelings" pretty well but... to summarize..

you in england or ireland or australia.. name one gun control law that was passed that reduced homicide or violent crime in your country.

granted.. you had a lower overall rate at all times... a few less per hundred thousand.. but.. what laws did you pass that reduced that?

When you had guns freely available you had few homicides... you passed laws to remove firearms and you had..   the same amount of homicides... burglary went up... some other violent crime went up.

I have a 45 on my nightstand.   Who are you to tell me I can't?    Who will protect me if you take it away from me?    You?    The police?   Who?

What will happen to the 1.5 million or so citizens a year that now stop crimes with a firearm?

lazs

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
gun control...
« Reply #282 on: April 22, 2007, 01:07:40 PM »
Originally posted by Maverick
Actually no you didn't answer the questions. I really didn't expect you to since it was pretty easy to see what you said was pure fantasy bovine excrement. Pretty much like what what I quoted above here.

You really have no clue about what it's like to live here, you just like to engage in simple slander. It's hardly the "armed camp" you allege and the actual chance of being the victim of a crime especially a violent one, is rather small other than perhaps in your imagination.

I have worked in the US with people with both good and bad intentions and managed to do so without ever having to kill or shoot anyone. I don't have to deal in fantasy or baseless allegations. I've been there, done that for real. You should try it some time.

Oh right, this is the part where you give the contradicting story where you don't actually need weapons for personal safety but yet feel the absolute need to own one, right? Riiight.. :lol

As what goes with your original questions, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain the differences of the benefit of the community versus your egocentric view of the world. It would be utter waste of my time, as is this thread.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
gun control...
« Reply #283 on: April 22, 2007, 01:46:32 PM »
Oh right, this is the part where you give the contradicting story where you don't actually need weapons for personal safety but yet feel the absolute need to own one, right? Riiight.. :lol

As what goes with your original questions, I'm not going to waste my time trying to explain the differences of the benefit of the community versus your egocentric view of the world. It would be utter waste of my time, as is this thread.

Translation.

You really don't have anything to say so you'll just blather on and claim a victory in the "discussion without having brought anything to back up a ridiculous allegation.
:rolleyes:
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Hornet33

• Gold Member
gun control...
« Reply #284 on: April 22, 2007, 02:22:57 PM »

My opinion is YES, I do need a gun to ensure my personal safety. 99.9% of the time I would be perfectly fine without one but that .1% of the time I like to KNOW I have it.

Needed one 3 times so far when I've stopped criminals from breaking into my truck and house. Never fired a shot but the presense of myself with my 12 gage shotgun stopped those criminals and prevented the loss of my personal property, and in one of the situations something possibly worse than theft as one of them had a gun on him when I caught him in my garage.

You probably think I would have been better off just letting them go and calling the police with the false hope that I might get my property back, but I choose to be a little more pro active than that. What I have is MINE. I worked for everything I own and I'll be damned if I'm going to sit back and just let someone steal from me if I can stop it myself.

My guns and my rights as an American allow me to protect myself my family, and my property so why shouldn't I excercise those rights? Who thinks they have the right to deny me my rights? Who has the right to tell me that I shouldn't have the right to my personal protection?

That's what the anti-gun crowd is telling me. Those people by their actions and words are telling me that I don't deserve the right to protect myself or my property in any situation. That I should trust them with my protection. Well those people couldn't protect a warm cup of piss and that's a FACT!!!!

It was the anti-gun folks that took away the rights of those people at VT and look what happened. I hope every person with a CCW that attends that school files a class action lawsuit against VT for unlawfully stripping them of their RIGHT to protect themselves because it's painfully obvious that the school and the police CAN'T do the job.

You don't want to waste time with this discussion because you don't have the first clue as to what the issues are. You live in your little utopian country of Finland where you expect the government to take care of you. That's not how we do things here. You don't like it? Too bad. You don't live here so why do you even care?

I'm an American. I have the right to own a gun and I use it. I don't care what the rest of the world thinks about it and why should I? For damn sure the rest of the world doesn't care about us. Bashing on America is the rest of the worlds greatest past time, yet what country is always the first ones there helping out when something bad happens??? What country donates more money to third world countries in relief aid every year??? What country takes in more imigrants than any other every year??? Yeah that would be the United States of America, but you go on telling us how screwed up we are over here.
AHII Con 2006, HiTech, "This game is all about pissing off the other guy!!"