Author Topic: Dodging the head-on on the second merge  (Read 3275 times)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Dodging the head-on on the second merge
« Reply #75 on: May 24, 2007, 10:51:16 AM »
Originally posted by Benny Moore
There's one other type of head-on situation that most people don't recognize.  This is where both fliers have the opportunity to shoot at each other simulataneously, as in a normal head-on firing pass, but one of them gallantly holds his fire.  He moves his nose slightly away from his opponent to avoid an eventual collision, and as soon as he does so, the other flier sees that the first pilot no longer has gun solution - and shoots.

Now, a lot of H.O. lovers say that this was not a head-on, since they didn't both have gun solution.  In my book, it was, because they did both have gun solution, and at the same time.  One pilot only passed up the shot out of courtesy, and got burned for it.

The solution for the honorable flier is to keep his speed higher and increase the angle between his flight path and the enemy.  However, the situation is most often found in duels between pilots who are not accustomed to fighting each other, immediately after the first merge.  It's usually after both pilots have completed an Immelmann, and thus dodging is not an option due to the slow speed.  Therefore, the solution is to not Immelmann if the other pilot also does so (or at least change the maneuver as soon as you realize it).

The solution for the player who doesn't hold his fire is to realize that the other guy let him have the shot.  It's as simple as that.  If he confronts you about it, don't try to pretend that it wasn't a head-on because he didn't have firing solution.  He did, and it was.  

This thread was not started to debate the validity, effectiveness, or courtesy of head-ons.  It was started to discuss avoidance.  I just had to clear up that one misunderstanding which I see so many have.

Benny your simply wrong here....

Once the initial merge is done then you have no HO....just a shot or no shot. That doesnt mean that you cant elect to follow other "rules". Often I'll pass on this type of shot...but you will rarely if ever get a good shot vs a top dueler on the "remerge". In fact managing the "remerge" is actually 90% of the fight. Most good duelers fly for the remerge not the merge....

very rarely do you actually have a true "HO" on the "remerge"....most of the time one guy gets around 1st...often he is also slightly out of plane. If your getting nailed on the remerge consistantly then your merge isnt good enough...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: May 24, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »
Originally posted by SkyRock
Where do you get this statement?  anyone that is going for the face shot is HOing!~ It doesn't matter on which turn or what arena, if you play thisgame and HO folks, you bring the game down a notch!:aok

I almost never HO, i'm simply pointing out the reality that a "face shot" on a remerge in a duel is not a HO...just that simple. does that mean I'll take em...almost never. But I dont assume the other guy wont. You can avoid the remerge "HO" as easily as the HO on the opener. Now if you want to stipulate no shots from in front of the 3/9 line or whatever great.

I almost never take those shots personally but that doesnt mean its not "honorable"...unless you've limited them before hand.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: May 24, 2007, 12:18:49 PM »
If im low and slow in my A8 and see a turner (sheitfire, niki, a6m, hurricane) infront of me ill HO their brains out. If i have abit of speed and afew options to avoid it and get into a fight ill do it.

The annoying HOes are those taken by oPEOPLEo who has alot of options but choose the HO anyway. :D

Offline B@tfinkV

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: May 24, 2007, 01:55:56 PM »
Originally posted by Creton
No,Bat,

Domin and Bovi are compeltely different people from me,Domin is a newer player to the game who prefers 1v1 duels,and of course we all know who Bovi is ,if we can just keep up with his new name.

hehe was kinda joking. i remember when domin was first here and learning the basics(quickly). these days he flat out waxes me almost everytime.

I'd like to take this chance to say im sorry, creton. I sorry that i got worked up about a game and in doing so lost my temper at something you did i didnt agree with. i havnt changed my thoughts on the subject, but i have realised that by now i would still rather see you around and say hey rather than not.

i actualy thought i was fighting either you or bighorn the other day in h2h, it must have bighorn. Dieslrae.
 400 yrds on my tail, right where i want you... [/size]

Offline Stoney74

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2007, 07:56:32 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen
If im low and slow in my A8 and see a turner (sheitfire, niki, a6m, hurricane) infront of me ill HO their brains out. If i have abit of speed and afew options to avoid it and get into a fight ill do it...:D

You do the same thing in a P-51B when you're low and slow?  Also, what convergence do you set all those Tater guns at on your A8?  

MAD apparently is not the detterent in AH2 that it was during the Cold War...  Going into a second merge, if both folks have a shot, that's what we're talking about--MAD.  Seems to me there ought to be a bit more to a good duel--its just jousting otherwise.

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2007, 09:47:10 PM »
jousting is for losers of internet flight sim games!
Take the time to master the air, it's worht it!
:aok

Mark

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Coach

• Copper Member
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »
ty Cap and

Also... I appreciate your attitude :aok

btw, I would suggest to all who would like to learn the finer points of ACM.... see if you can get a training session from Ren.  IMHO he is one of the best teachers here.  At least he was 10 yrs ago :D

Coach
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 02:50:04 PM by Coach »

Offline Scotch

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »
Cheese taught me everything I knew... :huh
-AoM-

Offline Coach

• Copper Member
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »
Originally posted by Scotch
Cheese taught me everything I knew... :huh

Oh my! :eek:

Was Wine around too??

I'm scared to ask who this is :D

Coach

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2007, 09:46:51 AM »

and my new variation is,Sythian.

lol, you were easy to figure out bud.  Who was the other guy though?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2007, 12:31:40 PM »
other guy?

Offline stockli

• Copper Member
« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2007, 01:16:30 PM »
Creton, havnt seen you in game for a while.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2007, 01:58:31 PM »
other guy?

Comon now, the guy I was fighting.  He abviusly was talking to you since he was asking to fight the second spit.  Only way he'd know I was teh second spit  would be if you were talking to him.

Offline Creton

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2007, 02:18:16 PM »
Avaro typed to me saying he was fighting the first spit,but i have no idea who he is.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2007, 03:23:59 PM »
Avaro typed to me saying he was fighting the first spit,but i have no idea who he is.

:rofl  ok