Author Topic: Why is Allies vs Axis always empty ???  (Read 4358 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Why is Allies vs Axis always empty ???
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2007, 12:26:33 PM »
Originally posted by trap2000
You mentioned a combat theatre that averaged around 50 players a night. Would you mind posting a few details about this arena for the newer folks like myself? Was it an Axis / Allied split, historical terrains, theatre specific plane sets, etc.? Was there strat such as field capture? Why is it no longer around? Did we switch directly from the CT to what we have now or were there a few iterations in between?

Heh.  Only the name changed, because "Combat Theater" was deemed confusingly similar to "Combat Tour."  Other than the name change, the arena itself is the same today as it was then.  So far as I can remember, the setups have changed every week since the beginning of time; the staff has been all volunteer; the maps have been made by other volunteers; HTC has generally left the arena to its own management; base capture conditions, radar settings, weather, maps, plane sets, ack lethality, and all of the other variables have changed from week to week depending on the intent of that week's responsible staff member (and the welcome advice of the other staff members and forum participants).

- oldman

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »
I've dropped in there a few times. Other than the few people, average of 8-10, there was a very small plane set and more than half of those were perked. If all the early planes were somewhat equal and so few folks up why perk them? Let everyone fly anything they want. That way it's always equal no matter how many people are in there....ie, all 8. :)

I also noted there isn't that much of a country allegiance so people seem to change sides to even things up. Sometimes 3v5 or 4v4.

Ren

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2007, 12:42:14 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing planes perked in CT, or AVA. :confused:

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2007, 01:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shifty
I don't recall ever seeing planes perked in CT, or AVA. :confused:

F4U-4 was but u did not lose the perks if you lost the plane
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2007, 02:25:29 PM »
Originally posted by dedalos
Hi honey :D  

a very good example of what I am talking about are the exchanges between me and Storcita :rofl

*ducks and runs out of room chuckling like a drunken troll :D

I am going to soooo pay for that :D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:34:24 PM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline trap2000

• Zinc Member
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2007, 02:28:44 PM »
Thanks for the post Oldman. If the arena itself is the same today as it was then, it would appear that a strat based set up has never been tried. Would the AvA staff be willing to try a strat based set up for a week? I’m going to be honest with you, by strat based I mean game play parallel to the main arenas but with more realistic settings (radar, field capture, etc.) and a historical terrain with a theatre specific plane set. The code of conduct would still stand in concept but not enforced by self appointed guardians. That would be left up to the AvA staff. I would also suggest one addition to the code for the week: No whining. How ‘bout it AvA staffers?

storch

« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2007, 02:50:19 PM »
good thing you mis-spelled storch otherwise my frail ego would have been shattered by that.

:D

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2007, 03:00:21 PM »
Originally posted by Dichotomy

*ducks and runs out of room chuckling like a drunken troll :D

I am going to soooo pay for that :D

Ohhhhh, you in troble now :furious :furious :furious

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2007, 03:24:44 PM »
:rofl

note to self don't rush it when trying to be funny :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: August 20, 2007, 03:25:49 PM »
Thanks for the post Oldman. If the arena itself is the same today as it was then, it would appear that a strat based set up has never been tried. Would the AvA staff be willing to try a strat based set up for a week? I’m going to be honest with you, by strat based I mean game play parallel to the main arenas but with more realistic settings (radar, field capture, etc.) and a historical terrain with a theatre specific plane set. The code of conduct would still stand in concept but not enforced by self appointed guardians. That would be left up to the AvA staff. I would also suggest one addition to the code for the week: No whining. How ‘bout it AvA staffers?

Strat itself - the effect that bombing factories &c. has on supplies and other things - is generally off in AvA.  Base capture usually is possible.  In Fork's setup this week, for example, object down time is set at 60 minutes and a capture requires 20 troops (which, I believe, is double that of the MAs).  Some setups disable base capture by setting the required number of troops very high, or by disabling troop carrying vehicles, but this is actually quite rare (Battle of Britain comes to mind after a few occasions when the Axis and Allies were all fighting in Wales or some such place).  You can grab a few friends and go try to take bases today.

However, the MA win-the-war goal is not possible in the AvA, because if you take all of another country's bases, the arena ceases to function.  There is no automatic reset.  We can't change this.

- oldman

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: August 20, 2007, 03:48:49 PM »

What is a more realistic radar and field capture?  Especially field capture? :huh

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #146 on: August 20, 2007, 07:35:48 PM »
used too play there and really liked it
but it aint know fun alone
wish i could find some more people  go there with
one time    at band camp   lol
 anyway the mains were down and a v a was up too about 150 or soo
 it was very kool
            currently
                  WWeWW
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: August 20, 2007, 10:40:31 PM »
Originally posted by DamnedRen
I've dropped in there a few times. Other than the few people, average of 8-10, there was a very small plane set and more than half of those were perked. If all the early planes were somewhat equal and so few folks up why perk them? Let everyone fly anything they want. That way it's always equal no matter how many people are in there....ie, all 8. :)

I also noted there isn't that much of a country allegiance so people seem to change sides to even things up. Sometimes 3v5 or 4v4.

Ren

We do not use perk points in the AvA. At one time we give 262s and Temps a small perk but now we just limit what bases they are available. I dont know what you saw but it may have been the result of the arena getting reset for some reason and the setting being porked.

Offline trap2000

• Zinc Member
« Reply #148 on: August 20, 2007, 10:57:41 PM »
I didn’t know the arena lacked an automatic reset. That basically eliminates many of the set ups I was thinking about. Think I’ll just stick to flying for awhile. BTW Dedalos, don’t worry too much about radar settings and field capture, especially field capture. I believe my post was pretty clear about those. Over and Out :cool:

Offline Gumbeau

• Copper Member
« Reply #149 on: August 20, 2007, 11:27:11 PM »
Originally posted by Vudak
With all due respect, TC, trainer or not, that statement of his regarding what most complaints of HOs are led me to believe that he has not had his eyes open all that long.

Perhaps the fact that he was a trainer (and therefore dealing with newer players who wouldn't "know") explains that away, but it still had me saying :huh  when I first read it.

Shrug.

Well, since TC let my secret out I will tell you I used to teach a regular course in avoiding Head Ons and turning them to your advantage.

I can teach the basics of this in about 15 minutes but if you want to stop dying in head ons it takes a mental commitment to applying the applicable tactics all the time every time.

I never complain about head ons because I know from long experience if someone catches me in a head on I did something dumb to be there. But if I want to avoid them I can easily do so.

It is simple physics.

I will stick by my earlier statement that a head on is when both pilots have a guns solution. If you see a bandit in the front window and you are maneuvering to avoid his guns pass that isn't a head on. That is a high aspect snapshot and if he kills you there is no difference in that kill from a low aspect shot.

If you aren't maneuvering to avoid his guns pass....you are a target.

If you are maneuvering to create a guns pass on a high aspect bandit and he has a guns solution because he is doing the same thing...that is a head on and both are equally guilty and I see no reason to complain.

We can argue this until the cows come home to no result of course. Just as we can argue the AvA numbers issue forever and 2 days.

Both I have long experience with.

And to the person who posed the question....Yes I'm new and very stupid.