Author Topic: Open carry test  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Open carry test
« on: August 08, 2007, 10:59:42 AM »
A guy was walking down the sidewalk in New Hampshire recently, open carrying his pistol in a holster.  A safety officer saw this and stopped him, and the way the citizen handled it was pretty good.  A useful and informative example of a good way to handle this type of bad-stop by an officer who doesn't know better.  Respectful of the officer, firm exercise of rights, and getting a recording:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FWXnK5UyRI&eurl=
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 11:05:34 AM »
good for him.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Open carry test
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 11:08:39 AM »
A clarification, by 'bad stop' I don't mean "ZOMG JACK BOOTED CONSPIRACY!!!!11!1!!eleventy!!", just assuming that the officer didn't know better.
"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
Open carry test
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 11:39:34 AM »
cops who don't know the law.:O

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Open carry test
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:46:20 AM »
this is just human nature, down where the rubber meets the road.  most places have laws that allow police officers to detain persons who's presence and demeanor appear to be unusual for the location and time of day.  

Couple that with the understandable fact that an officer will want to know more about a potential threat.

Citizens in NH no doubt report people walking around carrying guns, even if it is legal.  I presume this is a  new law.  Until a whole lot more people exersize that right in NH, I think this fella should expect to be stopped until there is a comfort level.  I note that the subject did not elect to test the law while driving a vehicle....

To me, its much ado about nothing, really, by some people who make a hobby out of playing where the rubber meets the road.  That is where the friction is...  and it appears it is their right to openly carry, and if so, the cops will eventually get used to it when it becomes common.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 11:48:41 AM by Gunthr »
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:52:40 AM »
Interesting video.  The guy's friend is an annoying tard.

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 11:55:35 AM »
Originally posted by SteveBailey
Interesting video.  The guy's friend is an annoying tard.

Ya he was trying to provoke a reaction.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Gunthr

• Gold Member
      • http://www.dot.squat
Open carry test
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 11:56:39 AM »
I did notice one thing the open carry tester could have done to make this a safer "test".

On a stop like that, which the officer has a right to do, very few cops would have allowed the subject's partner to walk around like that, going back and forth, appealing to others on the street, throwing his hands up in the air, and interjecting while they are trying to find out what is going on.  That understandably makes officers a little nervous, and I don't recommend it.  Perhaps it is part of the hobby - you know - to sort of make things more interesting.  In that respect, I don't really characterize this encounter as completely respectful.
"When I speak I put on a mask. When I act, I am forced to take it off."  - Helvetius 18th Century

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
Open carry test
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 12:02:59 PM »
Just what I was gonna say the friend seemed to be a Michael Moore wanna-be.

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
Open carry test
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 12:03:29 PM »
As far as I can tell, the annoying git was a friend who came out of the bar he was walking to, so this wasn't any sort of planned event.  That guy was borderline hysterical, I applaud the patience of the cops in not letting him get to them.  He shoulda stayed inside.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Open carry test
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 12:34:22 PM »
The foreign guy in the video didn't appear to have a holster.  Was the gun just tucked into his pocket?

Offline x0847Marine

• Silver Member
Open carry test
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 03:02:50 PM »
Wow that was some poor officer safety... the state troop had his gun hand in pocket, then he uses his gun hand to write / use radio, no arms distance, no gun side protection, all while letting an armed individual stand there holding a phone that could have easily been used as a weapon.

Meanwhile the portly dude has both hands in his pockets and is allowing the annoying guy to flail his arms and walk around with out one "watch your back" to his partner. He's in an obvious crossfire with no attempt to control the situation, zero command presence... at one point several cops had their backs to the armed dude... not very sharp.

Personally, either the armed dude sits, puts hands where I can see them and does everything I say when I say, or he goes to jail for delaying / obstructing (Ca PC148). The instant he didn't put the cell phone down, he goes to jail... the police don't have to argue with people into compliance re: officer safety.

Same with Mr annoying, he stays far enough away so as not to interfere, or he goes to jail too... situation over.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
Open carry test
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 03:06:43 PM »
Marine,

Honest question

What do you think about someone sauntering down the street with a sidearm in plain view?

And guys please don't flame him for answering honestly I'm really curious as to his take.  I watched the film and, while I'm in favor of having the right to carry, there are enough loonies out there that I'd probably be pretty nervous if there was someone walking down my street with a glock on their hip.
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Open carry test
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »
There's only about 7 states where open carry is unlawful or so restricted as to be meaningless.

In the others, you can open carry, although some require a license and/or a few other minor regulations.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline SteveBailey

• Gold Member
Open carry test
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2007, 03:53:34 PM »
Originally posted by x0847Marine

Personally, either the armed dude sits, .... does everything I say when I say, or he goes to jail for delaying / obstructing (Ca PC148). The instant he didn't put the cell phone down, he goes to jail... the police don't have to argue with people into compliance re: officer safety.

I hope I run into you in this situation some day(without the tard friend of course).   Your department will pay my way through the rest of my life.

Does what you say, when you say?  Please, please try that on me, then arrest me.  Good luck on whatever new career you choose afterward.