Author Topic: Percentage of atheists in prison  (Read 2219 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Percentage of atheists in prison
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2007, 08:30:06 PM »
Originally posted by Xargos
There are many reason.  Some simply don't take their meds, others drink too many sodas.  Another reason is the variety of food in prison is limited because they have a tendency to make "Buck" out of it.

Buck is prison made wine.

I should have added liver failure as well. Many of the meds and the "Buck" can cause that.

"Buck"   thats wacked
we called it "HOUCH"  and man that stuff will wreck ya.

Offline Xargos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2007, 08:41:45 PM »
I remember one time when working a cell block I had several younger inmates who where drunk giving me a hard time.  That night after lockdown I went into the ceiling and took over 30 gallons of Buck.  The next morning after breakfast the Buck Master came up to me and said I cost him over $800.  I informed him of the reason I did it and he said I would never have that problem again,  and I never did.
Jeffery R."Xargos" Ward

"At least I have chicken." 
Member DFC

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2007, 08:48:53 PM »
Originally posted by Xargos
I remember one time when working a cell block I had several younger inmates who where drunk giving me a hard time.  That night after lockdown I went into the ceiling and took over 30 gallons of Buck.  The next morning after breakfast the Buck Master came up to me and said I cost him over $800.  I informed him of the reason I did it and he said I would never have that problem again,  and I never did.

for some reason i think you are a decent guard and i feel you probably treat them fair.
  hope to shoot ya down I MEAN see you in the air.:D

Offline LEADPIG

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2007, 08:51:44 PM »
Originally posted by FBplmmr
The more arrogant and self centered a person is, the more distasteful it becomes for them to entertain the possibility that there may be a divine being of unbridled power and wisdom.

:aok

Jeez they oughta put that comment in the smithsonian, with some of Einstein's and Ben Franklin's.

Offline AquaShrimp

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2007, 09:23:38 PM »
Several theories, heres one:

Being in prison makes a person contemplate his own mortality.  As anthropologists have pointed out, people have a desire to believe they continue to live on in some form after death.  So, inmates pick a religion in order to satiate this desire.

Offline Flatbar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2007, 09:34:33 PM »
Inmates, just like most politicians, get religious or flaunt their religion to pull the wool over the eyes of the gillible. Be they a parole board or the 'family values' voter. IMO.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2007, 10:42:41 AM »
here we go again chair.. this is another thinly disguised "religion is evil" thread by you.

I will play tho.   I think you know the answer.    I would say that the majority of "athiests" are more educated than the general public... in fact... many got their views in institutions of higher education by their teachers.

I would also say that athiests are not risk takers as a rule.   they do not indulge in risky behavior and are more academic in nature.

And.. why not?  if you thought that there was no life other than this.... You would not want to live life to it's fullest would you?  not so far as taking risks goes.

I would also say that many in prison who profess religion may be doing so to gain some leverage with a parole board now wouldn't you?

They are not called cons for nothing.

lazs

Offline Chairboy

• Probation
  • Plutonium Member
      • hallert.net
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2007, 10:53:22 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
here we go again chair.. this is another thinly disguised "religion is evil" thread by you.

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2007, 11:04:06 AM »
what about what I said do you disagree with?

Do you think that athiest are not more likely to be found amoung the educated?

Do you think that athiests are more or less likely to be risk takers?

Do you think that convicts telling a parole board about how they have found religion are always telling the truth and not doing it to get out of the hell hole they put themselves in?

It might be helpful if we knew the educational levels of both the athiest population and the convict population.

You have also claimed that you never bring up anti religion thread or start em..  

in the strictest sense... you could say this is not anti religion but..  it is surely a thread meant to show the superiority of athiesm over religion.

I don't think that anyone here sees it for anything else.

I admit tho that I have never understood why anyone would bother to proclaim their athiesm.   It would seem to be simply an opinion that is faith based and therfore... personal.

you seem to wear it like a badge and wield it like a weapon.

I think that you just don't like to have everything out in the open when it comes to this subject.. which is strange to me since you seem so open on most everything else...   A trend I have noticed in most athiests I know and have never understood.

lazs

Offline eskimo2

• Platinum Member
      • hallbuzz.com
« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »
According to the data: atheists are about 8-16% of the US population, but are 0.21% the prison population.  That means that religious folks are 40 - 80 times as likely to end up in prison.

OK, so the big question is/are:
Are atheists:
1. Less likely to commit serious crimes (this could have more to do with their likely demographic than a direct association to atheism).
2. Get caught or receive punishment for serious crimes (they don't go to confession) :) .
3. Or is there a huge trend for atheists to "convert" to a religion for some reason including possibly misleading parole committees.
4. Or, do religious folks believe that they will be forgiven for any deed and therefore commit more serious crimes?  (Or is that just a Christian idea?)
(Or some combination of the above)
(Or ???)

If #1, what is it about their demographic that makes them less likely to commit serious crimes?

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: Percentage of atheists in prison
« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2007, 11:56:43 AM »
Originally posted by Chairboy
This is an interesting bit of data:

http://www.freethoughtpedia.com/wiki/Percentage_of_atheists

The percentage of atheists in prison is quite a bit lower than the percentage in the population.

Any theories?

Yes.  You have too much time on your hands.

Pollster: Bugsy, do you belive in God.

Bugsy: Yeah, sure.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2007, 12:45:12 PM »
Might start seeing more atheists admit their faith in prison now that the government has recognized atheism as a religion and allowing the pertinent privileges.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2007, 12:47:30 PM »
I think there may have been a survey or two conducted in foxholes in the past, even fewer atheists were found there. ;)
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2007, 02:19:12 PM »
Oddly enough, just been having this discussion with a m8 in Illinois....he came through with this video.............bit of food for thought...Atheists

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 04, 2007, 08:36:22 AM »
eskimo... I think you said what I said.   except for the risk taking thing..  I can't help but notice over the years that the avowed athiests I know are not risk takers and are mostly depressed.

I think that chair is too invested in his faith of athiesm that he puts too much into it.   It is like he wants to be a martyr for the faith.   Wasn't it you chair who felt a while back that the faithful were on some kind of vandalism rampage and tore a "darwin" magnet (horror of horrors) off a fellow faithfuls car?

lazs