Author Topic: 109k or P38L  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« on: January 01, 2008, 04:54:21 AM »
I cant decide what to fly. I'm a decent pilot in IL2 and WWIIOL but this game is completely different. I can't seem to do anything right. I can get 4 kill missions but half the time people just HO you all day long. I've tried avoiding the HO but that just to them getting a deflection shot on me and ripping my tail off. I love the handling on the 109k but hate the torque and I don't like the low ammo loadout on the 30mm. I love the guns on the p38 and the vertical capability, but it seems like the 109k outclasses it in every way that matters.

Basically, what should I fly and why?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 05:39:04 AM »
Fly what ever plane you like, regardless of its ranking as "best".

Why?
Why not?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 06:01:37 AM »
Just hook up with one of our wonderful trainers in the Training Arena and they will have ya' dodging the head on in no time.

Out of the (litterallly) thousands of ho attempts made on me a month, only a handfull ever get me, and there is a reason for this.

109 or 38 eh?

Both excellent picks, and both have their strengths.

My 1st question would be, do you like to bomb things?  If so, then the p38 is the logical choice.  It is btw one of the best and most stable bombing platforms.

If you are talking pure air to air dogfighting, I would give the knod to the 109.  Once you figure out what all it can do, and get y'er aim down, you will find there is not much you can't kill when flying a 109.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 06:41:05 AM »
Mainly A2A fighting, I can fly the 38 well enough to bomb stuff and those 2 1000 pounders rock for popping tanks, but that's besides the point. I do like to stall people out in vert as one of my noob moves, but both the 38 and the 109k do this well so I dunno.

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 07:21:33 AM »
Perhaps neither?
You should experiment with the other airplanes as well :)

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 07:35:08 AM »
The 109 K4 is my pick, more agile and it has more tricks in its bag.

The 30mm will present a very different challenge for you though. Prepare for your gunnery in other aircraft to suffer as a result of being used to the Mk 108.

I find that the better my gunnery gets with the 30mm the worse my gunnery gets with .50cals and 20mms.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 07:48:13 AM »
I have experimented, the only two others I like are the la7 and the p51d, but I don't wanna fly noob rides. I'd rather not handicap myself by flying something that is gonna get me out of jams because of the airframe and not me.

Also, I'm starting to love the 38, but it seems like it's a crappy solo ride. I have come to realize that I have to pretend like I'm solo every time because people in this game do not back you up at all. Just a second ago I was killed by a spit that I couldn't outrun and was dragging while my 3 other country mates(enemies, might as well be) were trying to climb and catch some lancasters.

To be honest, the 109k's cockpit makes me a sad panda, and even looking out the front you don't get much to see. The 38 has a great cockpit except for the bar in front, the side bars are easily gotten around.

I'm a min maxer kinda, I don't wanna fly the 5 eny planes, but I do wanna fly the best 15-20 eny plane. I know it's mostly the pilot, but eventually that will not matter once I learn and then it will come down to the plane's limitations. So assuming I become an expert at either the p38 or the 109k, which would be most successful?

Offline RumbleB

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 07:55:00 AM »
Get a ki-84 or a yak then :) also spit9 is a beauty at 20 eny.

Personally I don't like being limited to just one plane. I can't answer the question of p38 vs k4 but it's not a huge undertaking to master both. I have 5 different main rides but I'm gonna be flying something entirely different this month, else I'll get bored of the game.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 07:59:50 AM by RumbleB »

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 08:22:45 AM »
Haven't tried the ki but I hate the yak, hate all spitfires and will always hate them until the end of time in any game, and hate the a6m.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
109k or P38L
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2008, 09:15:21 AM »
I'm a bit partial to the 38..... well I have to be to be in SAPP  :D  Turn off combat trim, trim that baby neutral and shes a great plane, even when flying solo.

As an "E" fighter its one of the top rides, and as a slow turner she can hold her own pretty well.

The only problem is she's a big target and sometimes draws a lot of attention.

In your spit story, slowing down and getting into a rolling scissor with it may have saved you. 70-80% of the spit pilots really have no idea what they are doing in it and can be had pretty easy if you get aggressive with them. Sure, the other 20-30% can hand your head to you, but a new plane is free.  :p

Bottom line is fly what you want to have fun in, it's all about the fun right? Rumor has it that the is a SAPP mission on the 8th 9 eastern time. Come fly with some of the top 38 sticks in the game!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2008, 09:19:59 AM »
Originally posted by WMLute
Just hook up with one of our wonderful trainers in the Training Arena and they will have ya' dodging the head on in no time.

Out of the (litterallly) thousands of ho attempts made on me a month, only a handfull ever get me, and there is a reason for this.

109 or 38 eh?

Both excellent picks, and both have their strengths.

My 1st question would be, do you like to bomb things?  If so, then the p38 is the logical choice.  It is btw one of the best and most stable bombing platforms.

If you are talking pure air to air dogfighting, I would give the knod to the 109.  Once you figure out what all it can do, and get y'er aim down, you will find there is not much you can't kill when flying a 109.

Agreed, on all points.

- oldman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
109k or P38L
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2008, 10:01:36 AM »
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 10:31:23 AM »
I personally like to mix it up.

My 4 main rides are the 190A-8 for general fighter use and buff hunting, the Spit (any) for base defense and light furballing, the F6F-5 in an attack role (great fighter after the ord's gone) and the AR234 as my primary buff.

That said, I tend to fly between 30-40 different planes most camps.  It's nice to keep a fresh knowledge of what my opponents capabilites are.

Both your choices are good ones but between them I personally favor the 109's over the 38's (but the 38G and the 38J are both nice rides).  The 109G-14 is every bit as capable as the K-4 BTW.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 11:27:39 AM »
Ive flown both...if you are not bombing things and not flying for history purposes, take the K4, take your lumps learning the 30mm.
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 11:47:07 AM »
my planes of choice are usualy like this

general fighter use
p51d or b
n1k2j
p47d11
f6f
spit8 (ocasionaly)
190d9
f4u1a
f4u1c

jabo
p47n or d40
p38j
f6f
f4u1d
n1k2j dual role (ack vehichles town buildigs then fighters)

i dont fly german planes much though the 110 has interested me
interested in the mossie and a few other birds
i rarely fly the same plane two days in a row.
im good enough with jabo now that i can hit my ground targets regardelss of which plane im in but i like the f6f  p47 and n1k2j  best cause i can actualy fight when the ord is gone. the others i dont have that much experience in.
i have had a whole lot of  fun flying tbm's and other carrier birds.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V