Author Topic: 109k or P38L  (Read 3314 times)

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Re: 109k or P38L
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2008, 12:18:16 PM »
Originally posted by Chubbie
I cant decide what to fly. I'm a decent pilot in IL2 and WWIIOL but this game is completely different. I can't seem to do anything right. I can get 4 kill missions but half the time people just HO you all day long. I've tried avoiding the HO but that just to them getting a deflection shot on me and ripping my tail off. I love the handling on the 109k but hate the torque and I don't like the low ammo loadout on the 30mm. I love the guns on the p38 and the vertical capability, but it seems like the 109k outclasses it in every way that matters.

Basically, what should I fly and why?
how long do you fire your 30 for normaly 2 shot is enough if you lead your target
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2008, 01:00:29 PM »
Can I make an out of the box suggestion? Try the OTHER 109's. There isnt JUST the 109K. ALL of the 109's kick arse. Before you make your decision, try the 109G14, the 109G2, and the 109F4 (the G6 and the E4 arent really all that great, but they are fun planes). The G2 and the G14 are pretty fast, fairly maneuverable, and have the option to carry a 20mm instead of the tater gun. The G2 has 8mm's instead of 13mm's, so you'll have to put some rounds on target, but its quite fast and very maneuverable so this shouldnt be a problem. The F4 also has the 8mm's, but it is a beast of a turner (Spixteens and Spit 8's beware) and it eats Spit 9's for breakfast (just completely better in almost every category on the deck). It is quite a bit slower than the other 109's though.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2008, 01:16:13 PM »
Like Motherland said, if you like the 109K4 but not the 30mm, try the 109g14. It's got a 20mm option, and up to about 16k it's VERY close in performance to the 109k4.

Offline DoNKeY

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2008, 03:14:12 PM »
Sounds like basically the very same issue I went through.  I ended up choosing the 38, except I'm going with the J version over the L.  Stop by the DA, I'm almost always in there.  We can fly together and friendly duel a little.  Let you get a feel for both of those planes and I can get some more experience. :aok

donkeh
2sBlind

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2008, 03:44:22 PM »
To be honest the whole reason for flying the 109 over the p38 is the 30mm. I think I really want to fly the p38 but it just seems like given equal pilots a 109k would dominate a p38.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 04:36:33 PM »
To be honest the whole reason for flying the 109 over the p38 is the 30mm. I think I really want to fly the p38 but it just seems like given equal pilots a 109k would dominate a p38.

Don't think dominate is the right word.

I've had some really good brawls with 109K drivers while flying my 38G.  Depends a lot on who is driving it.

Often times the 38L is being flown by guys who are porking bases and aren't really skilled in it as an ACM bird.

Both the 109s and 38s are planes that take time to master.  In fact some of us have been working on it for years :)

Fly em both and have fun.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
109k or P38L
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 07:07:30 PM »
As most people know I am a 109k4 driver. I have been flying this bird since the day I started (almost 2 years). I asked the same question then as well.

I picked the 109k4 becasue it was almost the hardest plane to fly for a rookie. I wanted to learn how to angle/stall fight. But I had a very good teacher in the beggining. I learned quicky this way. If I had no teacher I don't know if I would still be flying it.

I flew this plane regardless of numbers, alt or types of other enemy planes. I would engage under any circumstances. I got killed thousands of times. I went for months in the beggining without getting any kills that weren't otherwise " set up for me by squaddies".

The 109k4 is NOT a rookie plane. Among other things it doesn't do good is it turns like crap at least until you learn HOW to MAKE It turn. It stalls very easily. Gets fast so quick you just fly into the ground turning. 30mm are the devel to hit with. They drop like rocks. Deflection shots are near impossible.

BUT.....young grasshopper....the 109k4 is in fact one of the best planes in this game. It is fast, powerful and can kill with one round. It has excellant stall turning ability and can out climb almost everything.

I am not saying you should pick this plane but should you choose to accept the mission be prepared for a steep learning curve. Should you eventually reach maturity with this plane you will be feard and much worse....hunted like a dog everytime you up. Anytime ch 200 gets wind of a "k4 driver" around its a race to who can kill it first.....:O

May the force be with you.....good luck

I am in the DA mostly now. PM me and I will be glad to give you an introduction to flying the 109k4

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
109k or P38L
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:36 PM »
Originally posted by Agent360
As most people know I am a 109k4 driver. I have been flying this bird since the day I started (almost 2 years). I asked the same question then as well.

I picked the 109k4 becasue it was almost the hardest plane to fly for a rookie. I wanted to learn how to angle/stall fight. But I had a very good teacher in the beggining. I learned quicky this way. If I had no teacher I don't know if I would still be flying it.

I flew this plane regardless of numbers, alt or types of other enemy planes. I would engage under any circumstances. I got killed thousands of times. I went for months in the beggining without getting any kills that weren't otherwise " set up for me by squaddies".

The 109k4 is NOT a rookie plane. Among other things it doesn't do good is it turns like crap at least until you learn HOW to MAKE It turn. It stalls very easily. Gets fast so quick you just fly into the ground turning. 30mm are the devel to hit with. They drop like rocks. Deflection shots are near impossible.

BUT.....young grasshopper....the 109k4 is in fact one of the best planes in this game. It is fast, powerful and can kill with one round. It has excellant stall turning ability and can out climb almost everything.

I am not saying you should pick this plane but should you choose to accept the mission be prepared for a steep learning curve. Should you eventually reach maturity with this plane you will be feard and much worse....hunted like a dog everytime you up. Anytime ch 200 gets wind of a "k4 driver" around its a race to who can kill it first.....:O

May the force be with you.....good luck

I am in the DA mostly now. PM me and I will be glad to give you an introduction to flying the 109k4

I'll take you up on that offer agent :) . I'm an up and coming 109K stick, i'm loving it so far and i'm FAIRLY accurate with the tater, i can't hit turnin targets that well YET, but with some pratice, i'll get there.

You mind if i take you up sometime in the 109K for some tips and tricks?

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 09:04:45 PM »
Agent360 is one of my favorite pilots to fight.  When i see a winter cammo K4 chances are i'm in for it.

Im not picking on anyone, this fight could have gone either way.  One of my favorites.

Agent

38J v. 109K4

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 12:45:22 AM »
Heheh I hope you don't hate real-life Spitfires b.c a lot of my Canadian pals flew them.
:D

Try flying the F4U Corsair for a bit. It's got very good flaps in this game that help you pull vertical maneuvers easily and it's also got the mass to zoom well/turn-climb and leave people hanging and at low speeds, you won't have to fight off the torque as much like in the 109. And, before good ol' Sax pops up, let's stress on its very strong rudder that will flip you over when you really need it. Just try not to kick it too hard while pulling up at low speed or you might bite a nasty stall.

For the record, roping people isn't noobish at all.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline KONG1

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 10:08:19 AM »
Why fly a bomber when you can fly a fighter.:cool:
“It’s good to be King” - Mel Brooks

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 11:04:01 AM »

Given equal pilots you have a great match up....

Both planes are exceptional but very pilot dependent. The 109K4 is significantly easier to learn IMO then the 38. Primarily do to the nature of its strengths (outstanding verticals and good rudder authority). Basically its simply the best non perk E fighter in the game. As mentioned the real "weakness" is the 30mm...unless you hit with it then its a big+:eek:

The 38 is really more dependent on the judgement of the pilot. It's combat flaps and lack of torque combined with suprisingly good rudder authority and stability at high AoA allow an awful lot of "that fancy pilot stuff" but even with its excellent E fighting qualities the 109 can dominate and control the fight (E state wise) from an even start.

109K is actually a pretty good plane to learn E fighting with and is suprisingly nimble if you use throttle and rudder. While both planes are far from "easy mode" the 109k is very formidable even when flown as an "easy lite"....where as the 38 only has two settings...

predator and target

All depends on whose in it....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 11:17:02 AM »
Humble has it there, given equal pilots the P 38 shouldn't have a chance in hell.

When I'm in a 109 the P-38 only gives me happy thoughts. It is rarely a threat, unless piloted by an excellent stick or in exceedingly unbalanced odds.

Even with unbalanced odds, the 109K still has many avenues of escape.

As I said before, the only 'disadvantage' is the Mk 108, which is also a blessing if you know how to use it.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 12:01:17 AM »
Ok I still can't decide and I'm about to quit, I can own with the LA-7 but I don't wanna fly that noob ride. I really suck with the 30mm and I use up tons of ammo cause of my gunnery, so I need someone to teach me how to fly the p38 before I quit this game and just go back to owning people in WWIIOL.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
109k or P38L
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2008, 12:51:06 AM »
Haven't tried the ki but I hate the yak, hate all spitfires and will always hate them until the end of time in any game, and hate the a6m.

Ok I still can't decide and I'm about to quit, I can own with the LA-7 but I don't wanna fly that noob ride.

That's not meant disrespectful in any way, but I think you should reasses your attitude. Not that I want you to fly the LA-7 or even want you to like that plane, but such tags are, pardon me, bs. There are no noob planes, there are no dweeb planes... there are just planes and people flying them, for whatever reasons. Fly what you like, where you like and how you like. That noob, dweeb and other labels are usually just parroted by people succumbing to (perceived) peer pressure.

And I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself: On one hand you don't want  fly planes you think of being easy "noob" rides, on the other hand when not having a similar level of success in more challenging rides, you are frustrated. Somehow that's a bit inconsistent. What would it be worth of selecting more challenging planes without having a challenge? ;)

Don't give up so quick! If you can get kills in one plane, you can get kills in most others - it just takes some time do adapt. Get a more relaxed attitude!

BTW, if you are fond of the 109K-4, but have problems hitting with that MK-108, do what already has been recommended in this thread  several times: Fly a G-14 with 20mm option. Similar horse, different gun.

(And RUMBLEBee was completely right when he said you should try all the other planes too. Maybe you will suddenly find yourself comfortable with a ride you would never have thought of...)

EDIT... I took the liberty to look up your tour 95 stats. While I know that stats are not always meaningful and should be analyzed with care, I couldn't ignore the fact that actually your K/D in K-4 and P-38 are not that much different from your K/D in La-7: 0.65, 0.89 and 0.89 respectively. You seem not to fare worse in a 38 than in a La 7 :aok
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 12:58:00 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman