Author Topic: 109k or P38L  (Read 3341 times)

Offline splitatom

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2008, 07:24:02 PM »
Originally posted by pluck
J and L are very similar. One edge the L has are power ailerons, which is nice.  I like the J better, not sure why though.  Not much to add, to what has been said, except...If you get good at dog fighting, you are going to be a good pilot.  Learning the qualities of all planes, will make you better able to get the most out of your plane against other planes.  

Bottom line, don't fly something because you think you need to have a better plane.  Fly stuff because it is simply fun to fly.  The 38 is every bit as capable as any other plane generally speaking.  When matched up against a K4, you have got a battle on your hands, but you haven't lost the fight from the beginning....even if equal pilot skills.  Mistakes can still be made.  I think there are only a few planes that b'n'z is the most viable option, either one of these planes can fight in different fashions, the versatility is a big asset.  Though the 109 seems to hold some big edges, the 38 is a fantastic plane in it's own right.  It does many things well, but is not the best at anything.  If you are a better pilot, there is a good chance you will win. If it's fun, do it.
there is one other difrance in exceleration it has the same time overall but from certain area they excelerate beter
snowey flying since tour 78

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
109k or P38L
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2008, 07:24:43 PM »
Originally posted by Chubbie
I'm about to give up on the 38, when someone gets on your 6 there's nothing I can do to shake them. Trying to make them overshoot doesn't work cause it gives them a nice slow target, trying rolling scissors gives them a big target, split s, big target, rope, they usually hit the big target before they stall out.

May sound a bit silly.. but the main trick is don't letting anybody get there in the first place ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2008, 07:26:27 PM »
Not to be flippant or anything as this is actually meant to help but anytime you let anything onto your six it'll be hard to shake them regardless what you're flying, especially if it's a good stick who's experienced in his plane and even moreso if he's also experienced in yours.

Going back to one of your earlier posts, you said the 109 got you out of jams but the 38 was better for your gunnery.  Let's revisit that list again taking these two things into account plus remove the need for flap use from the equation.  We are left with:

C.205
Fw 190A-5
Ki-61-I-KAIc
N1K2-J

The 38 is a hard plane to learn as you're finding out.  You might want to try one of these until you improve your SA, ACM and gunnery.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline clerick

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2008, 08:39:34 PM »
I'm about to give up on the 38, when someone gets on your 6 there's nothing I can do to shake them. Trying to make them overshoot doesn't work cause it gives them a nice slow target, trying rolling scissors gives them a big target, split s, big target, rope, they usually hit the big target before they stall out.

Since day 1 i have flown the 38 almost exclusively.  I love the plane, its history, its looks and its capabilities.  I have had some time with trainers, who helped immensely.  I have spent even more time looking at my videos and others (murdr is a GREAT resource).  With my dedication it has still taken me about a year to become good in it, but i am still far from notorious, i figure that will take another year :D .  

Hang in there :aok

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2008, 08:48:55 PM »
Ok after playing around with every plane for a bit offline and in MA, the two planes I like are the C205 and the 38, I've realized I really don't like the 109k to quirky for me. The 205 and 38 are smooth. I'd really like to fly the 38 I think but it's such a huge GD target in MA that every spitdweeb and la7 wants to gun for you disregarding their own safety. They kill me but end up dead 5 seconds later.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
109k or P38L
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2008, 08:55:16 PM »

Hook up with Murdr @  flyaceshigh.com and set up a time for some training. Murdr is a good trainier, as well as being one of the top 38 pilots around. Check out his Squad's Site for a lot of great info, but hook up with him, he can teach you a lot.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
109k or P38L
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2008, 08:57:02 PM »
Ok after playing around with every plane for a bit offline and in MA, the two planes I like are the C205 and the 38, I've realized I really don't like the 109k to quirky for me. The 205 and 38 are smooth. I'd really like to fly the 38 I think but it's such a huge GD target in MA that every spitdweeb and la7 wants to gun for you disregarding their own safety. They kill me but end up dead 5 seconds later.

.... then learn to kill them first :aok

Offline Chubbie

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »
I can't schedule when I play video games, I play to relax whenever I feel like it, scheduling time to play video games is one of the reasons why I quit the last game I was playing which we won't mention the name of.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:25 PM »
I'm one of those guys who target the P-38 because most people don't know how to fly them.  I'm always surprised when I run into a GOOD 38 stick.

I thought you might like the 205.  It's reasonably fast, has decent climb and acceleration, good turning ability and an excellent gun package with plenty of ammo.  The only downside to the 205 is it doesn't take to damage very well.

If I were you, I'd stick with the 205 until you get your legs under you from a SA/ACM/gunnery perspective, then if you still want to, you can always jump back into the 38's.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
109k or P38L
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2008, 07:09:31 AM »
I can't schedule when I play video games, I play to relax whenever I feel like it, scheduling time to play video games is one of the reasons why I quit the last game I was playing which we won't mention the name of.

Training, ain't "playing" ! It's a whole 'nother ball game.

I've been flying for years, and do it for fun. I'd like to be one of the top killers, but I just don't have the time to put in for practice. I do however enjoy shooting other planes down more than I like getting killed myself.

My latest "hump" I'm having trouble getting over is the HO (head on shot). I think my timing is off as to when to turn in, or out depending on the situation. I seem to be getting nailed too often. So I'll get with a trainer and they will see where I'm going wrong, and give me a few tips on how to get better at avoiding the HO, and practice with me a bit so that I understand what I should do.

Spending that hour or so training will make me that much harder to hit in the MAs, leting me survive longer, giving me the chance to kill more per flight. I don't see a down side to that !

If you look at training as a "chore", or "something you HAVE to do" then maybe your not into the game as much as you thought you were, and its time to move on to something else. The fun of this game is "besting your opponent", and anything that going to get me there is part of the fun.

Aces High isn't one of those FPS games where you throw a ton of ammo at the other guy and hope you hit more than he hits you. A good portion of the people who play this game study tactics of WWII, and practice off line to hone their aim. For the most part, your not playing against "kids".

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2008, 08:38:33 AM »
I tried on and off over the past year to learn how to fly the p38 effectively and was getting very frustrated.  Well, a month or two ago I decided to really give it my attention and learn to at least hold my own.  The biggest difference between now and earlier I would hazard to guess is that my SA has improved bucketloads.  I don't get "picked" as often, I don't get target fixated, I can track a few different enemies in the area, and most importantly I've learned to see who the biggest threat to myself is.  These improvements in SA have lead to more successful furballs.  On the flip side I'd still say I'm fairly horrible 1v1 with anyone who really knows what they are doing but I have gotten better by doing what Lusche and others have mentioned: reading tactics, attempting them, and reviewing what went right and what went wrong.

Give the Ki84 a whirl, shes got a couple tricks up her sleeve.
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline kozhedub

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »
Stupid question and probably on a help page somehwere but........ how do you take and watch AH2 films later?

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2008, 09:53:18 AM »
Originally posted by kozhedub
Stupid question and probably on a help page somehwere but........ how do you take and watch AH2 films later?

Press Alt + R when you want to start recording, again to stop (a red 'R' will appear in the top left of screen).

To view them go to your Aces High directory folder (HTC -> etc -> Films).

As for getting better in the P 38 or any aircraft in the game the best advice I can offer you is to find a squad of guys you get a long with. This might take a while, but if you find a group of people who are good at what they do and you learn to work together you'll pick up all sorts of handy tips and tricks.

My squad has a friendly inter-squad duelling comp that we run on the side. Random draw and no expectations, just pick an aircraft for the month, jump in and duel away.

If you're flying with decent sticks you'll pick up some good habits very quickly. Little things about maintaining E, efficient use of flaps, evasive manuevers, gun calibration and all sorts of nonsense.

I definitely improved after joining my current squad. Even if I'm having a watermelon day and I'm dying all the time I'm still having fun while I do it, so at the very least finding a good group of people to fly with is one of the best things you can do.
Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline goober69

• Nickel Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
Originally posted by Xasthur
Press Alt + R when you want to start recording, again to stop (a red 'R' will appear in the top left of screen).

As for getting better in the P 38 or any aircraft in the game the best advice I can offer you is to find a squad of guys you get a long with. This might take a while, but if you find a group of people who are good at what they do and you learn to work together you'll pick up all sorts of handy tips and tricks.

My squad has a friendly inter-squad duelling comp that we run on the side. Random draw and no expectations, just pick an aircraft for the month, jump in and duel away.

If you're flying with decent sticks you'll pick up some good habits very quickly. Little things about maintaining E, efficient use of flaps, evasive manuevers, gun calibration and all sorts of nonsense.

I definitely improved after joining my current squad. Even if I'm having a watermelon day and I'm dying all the time I'm still having fun while I do it, so at the very least finding a good group of people to fly with is one of the best things you can do.

same here
i joined a good squad and ive learned more from them in the past few months than i ever learned in my first year flying solo.
good to have someones honest opinion on your skills and good advice.
flying as Marvin57
"we few we happy few,
  we band of brothers;"
W.S  Henery V

Offline kozhedub

• Zinc Member
109k or P38L
« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
Originally posted by Xasthur

Thanks

btw chubbie what is your WWIIOL tag?