Author Topic: US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships  (Read 5167 times)

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2008, 04:28:13 PM »
Frode, what are you on about? More or less the entire USN's fifth fleet is in the gulf. I believe their base at the moment is in Bahrain. They are all within range of Iran's missiles.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2008, 04:37:01 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
Frode, what are you on about? More or less the entire USN's fifth fleet is in the gulf. I believe their base at the moment is in Bahrain. They are all within range of Iran's missiles.

I believe that the CV groups' don't come into the gulf itself; They stay out in the Indian ocean.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »
Yup, Bahrain, home of U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT)/5th Fleet headquarters.

I don't know the disposition of the fleet's CV's, that's not something the USN are likely to publish. ;)  However there are a lot of USN ships in the Gulf, far more than just three destroyers.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #138 on: January 14, 2008, 04:44:21 PM »
Modern missiles and military equipment are EMP shielded. Have been since the early '90s. All you need is some metal mesh.

Wrong again.

To ensure that missiles go a bazillion miles per hour, they are cut down on weight to provide the missile's motor with less to push.  

Current EMP shielding is either copper mesh, foil backed gypsum, galvanized steel, and of course lead sheathing.  There have been experiments with blown polymer / metal techniques but these remain very fragile and are best used in static applications.  All except the very last mentioned are very heavy.  The only missiles that we standardly carry that have any EMP shielding are some nuclear cruise missiles, the ABM genre and ICBM's.  The thought process being that cruise missiles are meant to be stealthy alleviating defensive EMP measures.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: January 14, 2008, 05:01:42 PM »
Bodhi, please join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #140 on: January 14, 2008, 05:36:35 PM »

I wouldn't say Iran "couldn't" do it, but the aftermath of them sinking our ships would be horrific for the Iranians.  The loss of that battlgroup would be a setback for the U.S., but a small one compared to what the Iranians would end up suffering when the U.S. military is finished with them.

It would be a dumb move on the Iranians part.

One just has to remember another sneak attack on our navy some 50ish years ago to know this.

Just because you CAN walk up to Mike Tyson and smack him in the back of the head doesn't mean one should.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #141 on: January 14, 2008, 06:31:51 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
I doubt Iran is stupid enough to launch an attack as proposed. Since we're dealing with far fetched scenarios it isn't unreasonable to plant a sub or two with an airburst tactical nuke quick launch capability just off shore in the event of a massive attack.

I've never heard of anything even close to this as a weapon?  Could it be launched from space? Or, maybe a space station with a automatic .. humm semi-automatic for accuracy.. heat lazer beam?

This sure sounds like :noid

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: January 14, 2008, 06:50:48 PM »
Bodhi, please join the rest of us in the 21st century.

Believe what you want, the EMP from a nuclear detonation is a threat to almost everything airborne.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #143 on: January 14, 2008, 07:00:44 PM »
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
I've never heard of anything even close to this as a weapon?  Could it be launched from space? Or, maybe a space station with a automatic .. humm semi-automatic for accuracy.. heat lazer beam?

This sure sounds like :noid

You don't know what subs are? They are like ships but can go underwater. They can launch all manner of underwater, air, and surface attack weapons. Some even carry nuclear missiles.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2008, 07:04:20 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron
You don't know what subs are? They are like ships but can go underwater. They can launch all manner of underwater, air, and surface attack weapons. Some even carry nuclear missiles.

lol Iron.. was speaking about the flip a switch and fire a 'small' tactical nuclear missle that would detonate and take out incoming anti-ship missles..  never heard of the sort..

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2008, 07:12:40 PM »
Well, good secrets often aren't heard of until they're used. Seriously though, how hard would it be to put a 10 kiloton nuke warhead on a sub launched surface missile and fuse it for say 20k alt? You could launch several and get miles wide coverage providing a pretty effective protective curtain. I think even an attack sub could function in this capacity.

didn't you guys ever play missile command???
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 07:15:46 PM by AKIron »

Offline rstel01

• Copper Member
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
Originally posted by Brownshirt
Well Aegis system already proved its potential when they shot down that Iranian passenger plane and killed all the passengers and the crew.

You mean the Iran Ajr flight that was tracking from Bandar Al Abbas, non squaking IFF? Further heading to the group operating in international waters, and having an Iranian 3-pack (One P-3 and two F-4's) in formation to it which was the tactic of the day.  

Or, do you mean the Iran Ajr flight loaded with convicts and other enemies of the Iranian state retained to their chairs with ropes and zip ties?

Its documented on how the bodies we pulled out the water were tied to their chairs. Dig a little farther than Wikapedia if you really want to know what happened during 87-89 in the Tanker Wars with COMIDEASFOR and CJTFME later.  

Capatain Will Rodgers was in his right, and acted correctly. Certain events during that time were omitted by the powers that be for political reasons.    

P.S. I am proudly a veteran or the US Navy and participated in many Earnest Will Missions during the Iran Iraq war.

I was also there during the event

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2008, 08:22:22 PM »
Originally posted by rstel01
I was also there during the event

So what is your view on the disparate data from other USN ships in the area at the time such as the Sides which correctly identified the airliner (including its squawk #) before it was shot down?

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2008, 08:23:10 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
So what is your view on the disparate data from other USN ships in the area at the time such as the Sides which correctly identified the airliner (including its squawk #) before it was shot down?

link?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member