Author Topic: US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships  (Read 5142 times)

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2008, 01:19:43 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Oh, so now we generalize!  So what are my "likes" ?  While you leap off the edge to find fault with the Navy, I've just been following the news stories like most people.  

You strike me as one who loves a conspiracy theory.  But, I could be wrong.

...and you'd be wrong...again (not surprising).
I love my country and our military. That's why I don't want its sailors and soldiers put in harms way without a valid reason, let alone a made up one.
I scrutinize what I read, see, and hear from the media. I won't accept anything blindly especially when it doesn't add up.
That audio (of the so called Iranian voice) in that video is faked. That alone makes me question the credibility of the story that's being presented as fact.
Life just isn't that simple so you might want to wipe clean your rose colored glasses and look a bit further.

But no, I doubt you will. You see, instead of discussing with the facts of the case to refute my claim(s), you tend to want to go with childish insults (you can't even get those right either).

My mentality is just fine (notwithstanding your juvenile tinfoil hat remark). At least I don't fixate on a childish, nerdy, simplistic Star Wars movie and spend a bunch of money and hours on a duplicate R2D2 robot. you done with that thing yet? After you're done, you're going to play make believe? :rofl

Because I question a tape that happens to feature our Navy, I'm all of a sudden leaping off edge to find fault with our Navy??!! What a spin job! I'd explain it but you'd just screw that up too.

Now to fit me in your little box for your simplistic mind, I now may be a conspiracy theory lover? Just show me the theories that I supposedly believe in. Don't hold your breath while searching though.

Don't like the insulting nature of my post, then back off.:aok
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2008, 01:32:28 AM »
Ah the personal attacks begin.  Is that the best you've got?  Ohh, you mocked my building a robot.  Big freaking deal.  What have you built lately?  

You can scrutinize the video/audio all you want.  I don't think this is something made up by the Navy.  Im sure those speedboats were just out pleasure cruising several hundred yards near those cruiser.  Yup, I bet we even hired them, didnt we?

Based on your childishly lame "retort" it sounds like I hit a nerve.

I could respond as you do, with a bunch of lame insults about you and your hobbies.  But I wont take the bait.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2008, 01:35:38 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
OK, so here's the status of the story now:

- there was no imminent threat
- no boat "made a run at a US ship" as reported by CBS
- the US crews were not fearful of the boats
- no captain was on the verge of firing at anything
- the radio voice was not Iranian
- earlier Pentagon and news reports seriously distorted what happened

All hotheads may stand down until Pavlov rings the bell again.

This seems about right.. I read the first few pages of this thread and wonder wtf Iran has to gain from this but a bunch of dead folk and a handfull fewer water skiing craft..

What do we feel Iran has to gain by provoking the US or otherwise going to War w/ the US? Do some of you here feel that the Iranian government might actually think they could win or even have a positive outcome should a conflict arise?

I consider most here to feel as though we (here in the US) don't have a trustworthy government..  Why are so many here ready to click those safetys off over something like this? Gulf of Tonkin indeed!

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2008, 01:47:10 AM »
Originally posted by LePaul
Ah the personal attacks begin.

Oh you're such a poor victim. You like dishing it but when responded to in like fashion, you whine 'personal attack'
Just shows your typical bias. Again, not surprising. Boo Hoo.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2008, 02:10:22 AM »
Ah so now I have a bias.

Whose putting who in a box now?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2008, 02:24:22 AM »
Originally posted by Rolex
The US sunk Iranian vessels in the 80s without any provocation. It was just to support Hussein and Iraq. They lured them into international waters then sunk several ships & boats in one day. Do you remember that?

The attack on the Iranian naval forces and oil rigs in the '80s was a direct response to the USS Samual B. Roberts hitting an Iranian mine and almost sunk.  It was known as Operation Praying Mantis.  I guess your memory is a little fuzzy.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2008, 05:32:04 AM »
US forces had already attacked Iranian oil platforms before that, as part of the Reagan administrations direct support of Iraq during the first persian war.

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2008, 08:50:35 AM »
Wow, it seems Viking isn't the only complete idiot on this board.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2008, 09:08:29 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
The attack on the Iranian naval forces and oil rigs in the '80s was a direct response to the USS Samual B. Roberts hitting an Iranian mine and almost sunk.  It was known as Operation Praying Mantis.  I guess your memory is a little fuzzy.

ack-ack

I don't think it's so much that his memory is fuzzy as it is biased in favor of Iran in regards to Iran vs the US.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #99 on: January 13, 2008, 09:26:29 AM »
You really believe that?
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2008, 10:00:12 AM »
Originally posted by moot
You really believe that?

Does who believe what? I've read Rolex's posts for years and they consistently favor Iran over the US whenever a conflict is in play. I suspect he's Iranian or his heritage is. For whatever reason, his bias is obvious to me.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2008, 01:01:24 PM »
It ceases to amaze me, the simplistic nature of supposedly educated americans these days.  Most of you are chomping at the bit, currently, to open up a THREE FRONT WAR.  You people are idiots.

Just because someone questions the validity of a video, does not call into question their national stance, or patriotism.  Stop with the BS republican talking point recitals already.  

The strength of this nation used to be it's own scepticism...and we've obviously lost it with idiots out there about to start another war cuz a couple of lil blue boats went and jumped our wakes.  There were no armaments on the lil speedboats and none came within 100 yards.  

I personally commend the Navy for just cruising along, middle finger to the sky.

I don't commend the administration for using it as a ploy to garner support for another lame duck war from a lame duck president.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2008, 01:23:45 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
Hi, I'm a drama queen.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: January 13, 2008, 02:00:42 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
There were no armaments on the lil speedboats and none came within 100 yards.  

USS Cole.

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #104 on: January 13, 2008, 02:31:09 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
USS Cole.

This has to do with Iran how?
The USS Cole was docked at Aden port in Yemen.
The Sudanese govt. has been ruled liable for that attack.
The attacker(s) most likely were Arab and/or African, not Persian (Iranian).
They were most likely Sunni*, not Shia (Iran's majority population is Shia).
The Arabs and Sunnis have been the traditional enemy of Iran, but lets continue to cower in fear and rattle our military's sabres, eh?

*This is not to put down Muslims of the Sunni faith as only a miniscule fraction are fanatical enough to be involved in suicide attacks.