Author Topic: US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships  (Read 5143 times)

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »
my reference was to "little speedboats" being harmless.

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2008, 02:46:47 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
There were no armaments on the lil speedboats and none came within 100 yards.  

How did they know that the boxes weren't some sort of mines they were dropping?

I hold no desire to see us attack Iran, but I also would rather that no Americans are placed in harm's way to "not confront" Iran.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2008, 03:02:48 PM »
If Iran really want to they can sink every American surface ship in the Gulf. They have hundreds upon hundreds of modern anti-ship cruise missiles stationed along their coast on fixed and mobile launchers.

This incident was nothing more than "poking the tiger", and probably more for internal political reasons than international relations.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2008, 03:34:04 PM »
Originally posted by Viking
If Iran really want to they can sink every American surface ship in the Gulf. They have hundreds upon hundreds of modern anti-ship cruise missiles stationed along their coast on fixed and mobile launchers.

and then? :lol

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: January 13, 2008, 03:35:06 PM »
Originally posted by john9001
my reference was to "little speedboats" being harmless.

Sure and hence my reply. Three US warships on the move and on alert were not in danger. Not even a warning shot was fired against any of the five unarmed speedboats. Had they been a real threat based on the judgment of the  Captain/Commander in charge, we would of seen some warning shots fired by us at least.

Apples and Oranges.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #110 on: January 13, 2008, 03:59:35 PM »
and then? :lol

Spare me your "then we'd nook 'em" knee jerk response. The point is that if Iran wanted to attack your ships they wouldn't do it with speedboats. Over the years USN ships have attacked and sunk Iranian naval vessels and even shot down one of their airliners while violating Iranian waters. I think Iran have shown remarkable restraint in their response to your aggressions.

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: January 13, 2008, 04:05:03 PM »
i said nothing about "nooks', nooks are so last century, now we have smart bombs, one bomb one target,

anyway, my response was not what the US would do, but what would Iran do after they sunk all the US ships in the gulf. (as if they could).

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #112 on: January 13, 2008, 04:10:01 PM »
Originally posted by -tronski-
US forces had already attacked Iranian oil platforms before that, as part of the Reagan administrations direct support of Iraq during the first persian war.

Tronsky

Any attacks by US Naval forces against Iranian targets were in direct support of Operation Earnest Will, which was the naval operation to protect US flagged Kuwaiti oil tankers as well as keep the international shipping lanes open.  We also engaged in Operation Prime Chance which was to prevent Iranian forces from dropping mines in the Gulf.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #113 on: January 13, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
It ceases to amaze me, the simplistic nature of supposedly educated americans these days.  Most of you are chomping at the bit, currently, to open up a THREE FRONT WAR.  You people are idiots.

Just because someone questions the validity of a video, does not call into question their national stance, or patriotism.  Stop with the BS republican talking point recitals already.  

The strength of this nation used to be it's own scepticism...and we've obviously lost it with idiots out there about to start another war cuz a couple of lil blue boats went and jumped our wakes.  There were no armaments on the lil speedboats and none came within 100 yards.  

I personally commend the Navy for just cruising along, middle finger to the sky.

I don't commend the administration for using it as a ploy to garner support for another lame duck war from a lame duck president.

Stop drinking before you post.

ack-ack

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2008, 04:11:53 PM »
i said nothing about "nooks', nooks are so last century, now we have smart bombs, one bomb one target,

anyway, my response was not what the US would do, but what would Iran do after they sunk all the US ships in the gulf. (as if they could).

It's a hypothetical situation since Iran obviously did not attack your ships and never intended to. Even you should be able to see that.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2008, 04:44:05 PM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Any attacks by US Naval forces against Iranian targets were in direct support of Operation Earnest Will, which was the naval operation to protect US flagged Kuwaiti oil tankers as well as keep the international shipping lanes open.  We also engaged in Operation Prime Chance which was to prevent Iranian forces from dropping mines in the Gulf.

ack-ack

Isn't that what Tronski said? In not so many words.. ?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #116 on: January 13, 2008, 05:18:33 PM »
No, he said we had attacked Iranian assets in direct support of Iraq during the Iraq-Iran War.

Operation Earnest Will was aimed at protecting US reflagged Kuwaiti oil tankers from both Iranian and Iraqi attacks.  

ack-ack

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: January 14, 2008, 08:10:20 AM »
Originally posted by Viking
If Iran really want to they can sink every American surface ship in the Gulf.

BS
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline Viking

• Personal Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #118 on: January 14, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
Originally posted by AKIron
BS

“The Yingji-82 or YJ-82 (Chinese: 鹰击-82, literally "Eagle Strike"; NATO reporting name: CSS-N-8 Saccade) is a Chinese anti-ship missile first unveiled in 1989 by the China Haiying Electro-Mechanical Technology Academy (CHETA), also known as the Third Academy. Due to the Yingji-82 missile's small radar reflectivity, low attack flight path (only five to seven meters above the sea surface) and strong anti-jamming capability of its guidance equipment, target ships have a very small chance of intercepting the missile. The hit probability of the Yingji-82 is estimated to be as high as 98 percent. The Yingji-82 can be launched from airplanes, surface ships, submarines and land-based vehicles, and has been considered – along with the US Harpoon missile – as among the best anti-ship missiles of its generation.[1] Its export name is the C-802.”

This is the missile Hezbollah used in 2006 to attack an Israeli corvette. Probably supplied by Iran or Syria. Iran has 60 of these in Qeshm. With a range of 120 kilometres the the C-802 covers much of the gulf, and also the estuary to the gulf.

In addition Iran has over 300 Exocet missiles, also covering most of the gulf. An unknown number of “Sunburn” missiles…

“The Raduga Moskit “Sunburn” anti-ship missile is perhaps the most lethal anti-ship missile in the world. The MOSKIT is designed to fly as low as 9 feet at over 1,500 miles per hour, faster than a rifle bullet. The missile uses a violent pop-up maneuver for its terminal approach to throw off Phalanx and other anti-missile defense.”

…and an unknown number of the Sunburn’s replacement, the Yakhonts 26 with a range of 250-300 kilometres.

Iran also produces an indigenous version of the Silkworm missile with a range of 150 kilometres. Hundreds of these are in service.

Any US ship operating in the Gulf is literally sailing under the guns of the Iranian missile forces.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:42:10 AM by Viking »

Offline Brownshirt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #119 on: January 14, 2008, 09:05:35 AM »
AkIron already said "BS" so quit grasping thin air, will you?