Author Topic: US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships  (Read 5133 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
US Navy nearly fires on Iranian Ships
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2008, 09:14:33 AM »
Now they say it's fabricated...  They need to make up their mind...

:lol

Iran says US video was fabricated

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2008, 11:56:45 AM »
Oh fear the great Iranian Navy!~  Did you check out those russian era french boats?  Lol, I expected some poodle dog to be skiing behind those little boats.  Still, they should have shot one up just to show the monkeys what happens, or what should have happened.

Maybe next time :rofl
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2008, 12:21:01 PM »
Originally posted by AKIron

LOLOL!:rofl :aok :lol
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2008, 12:27:46 PM »
Originally posted by MORAY37
First of all... 200 yard exclusion zone?  

Second of all...without multiple station triangulation.. you cannot determine the "broadcaster" of said threat.

So what you approve of.. is... in international waters... A US Navy Captain to authorize release of weapons on 5 powerboats that are within 200 yards of his ship... and that happen to be around when a non-descript, non identified or triangulated voice makes a threat on a clear channel.  
I'm extremely happy you don't have that responsibility...you failed the exercise.  Yes the Iranians were testing... but we acted correctly.  Opening fire on those boats with the information available would have started something much worse.

(The video is extremely boring.. and there are no weapons apparent on any of the boats involved, and only two of them act anything like interested.  Mostly they just jump the wake of the cruiser a couple of times.  Whooo hoo...threatening.  Interesting the Navy didn't show pictures of ANY of them dropping ANYTHING in the water.)

And I seem to remember this story..small boats harrassing big bad US Navy... Gulf of Tonkin, Anyone?   Yeah, that was proven to be a pink elephant too.

Did you read my post at all before you started foaming at the mouth and penned your reply?  I said the USN naval ships would have been justified in using force to defend their ships due to the provocation of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard speed boats (those were not Iranian Navy boats).  I also stated the captains of the USN ships should be applauded for their restraint at was clearly a provocation on the part of the Revolutionary Guard.  Please read someone's post thoroughly before replying.  Makes you seem  like less of an arse.

And I seem to remember this story..small boats harrassing big bad US Navy... Gulf of Tonkin, Anyone?   Yeah, that was proven to be a pink elephant too.

You're either too young to remember or just didn't know but the Iranians and the Revolutionary Guard have a history of using small boats to attack shipping.  They did this in the '80s when they were using speed boats to launch machine gun and RPG attacks against oil tankers and other commercial shipping in the Persian Gulf.  They even used these speed boats to drop mines in the shipping lanes inside of the Gulf.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2008, 12:31:10 PM »
I think it also depend greatly on the class of NAVY ship being threatened. You threaten a destroyer class or cruiser class the captains are more likely to do what they did and hold fire till determining if the threat is valid.
Now if it was a Nimitz class supercarrier,  they would have been fishy food, err atleat for the fishys that didnt die in the tremendous explosion were the lil boat had just been
Just like if you get a sailboat or rubberboat to close to a Ohio class boomer when leaving or returning to port......pieces of it might get within 200yrds
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2008, 12:57:24 PM »
think it also depend greatly on the class of NAVY ship being threatened.
====
17 dead sailors from the USS Cole would most likely disagree with you, but who am I to say.......:rolleyes:
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline MadMan

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2008, 01:09:12 PM »
The captain's Akbar sense was triggered, he knew it was a trap...

Headline:  US Navy attacks Iranian naval vessels in international waters... green light for Iranian Air Force to attack US Naval ships in retaliation.  

Lots of shooting and blowing stuff up, many US soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen die.  Democrats announce we have lost the war in Iran.  Kill annoying president of Iran, destroy revolutionary gaurd, build democracy in Iran.  Stops annoying insurgent flow from Iran to Iraq, establish peaceful democracy in Iraq.  We have now replaced both annoying leaders of Iraq and Iran with new democracies that work.  Democrats no longer use talking points of losing in Iraq and Iran, but declare them distractiosn for the war we should be fighting in Afghanistan.  American people come to senses and realize "don't fall into the trap, democrats are full of crap".  Vote GOP back to power in House & Senate...

If those circumstances would play out, I would have encouraged the Navy to fire...  unfortuneatly it would have been more like this:

Headline:  US naval forces open fire and destroy Iranian naval ships in internation waters.  Iranaian air force attacks US Naval ships in retaliation.  Small scale combat takes place.  Many US sailors dies, US backs down and talks peace with whack-job Iranians to prevent further war in Mideast.  Iran looks like winners, US has egg on face.  Democrats rejoice because of US defeat.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2008, 01:13:52 PM »
For the Iranians to tease, this is the right time. Presidentally :D

Anyway, I am surprized that the USN didn't shoot warning rounds.

Did they man guns BTW?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline WilldCrd

• Gold Member
      • http://www.wildaces.org
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
think it also depend greatly on the class of NAVY ship being threatened.
====
17 dead sailors from the USS Cole would most likely disagree with you, but who am I to say.......:rolleyes:

im not saying its right . Its simple numbers. a supercarrier has 5000+ souls onboard PLUS the price of one. Its politics and policy.
And IMNSHO the USS. Cole should have never let any waterborn craft get that close. The officers in command at the time to me are responsible for those 17 dead crew (may they rest in piece ).
Crap now I gotta redo my cool sig.....crap!!! I cant remeber how to do it all !!!!!

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2008, 01:29:53 PM »
Not only should they have opened fire they should of opened fire with every single gun in the fleet, video it, then post it on You Tube as a reminder not to **** with a real Navy.

Who ever was commander that day showed far more restraint then anyone might of execpted. If the Iranians want to rattle their sabre then they should rattle something back. No one would of though any less in doing so given the situation and past history of the Iranian Navy.

...-Gixer

Offline 68ROX

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2008, 02:19:25 PM »
I think it's time to bring back Teddy Roosevelt's doctrine of:

"Talk softly, but carry a big stick"

68ROX

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2008, 02:57:49 PM »
the navy should have captured the crews and held them hostage for 444 days.

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008, 03:04:54 PM »
Originally posted by MadMan
The captain's Akbar sense was triggered, he knew it was a trap...

Headline:  US Navy attacks Iranian naval vessels in international waters... green light for Iranian Air Force to attack US Naval ships in retaliation.  

Lots of shooting and blowing stuff up, many US soldiers/sailors/marines/airmen die.  Democrats announce we have lost the war in Iran.  Kill annoying president of Iran, destroy revolutionary gaurd, build democracy in Iran.  Stops annoying insurgent flow from Iran to Iraq, establish peaceful democracy in Iraq.  We have now replaced both annoying leaders of Iraq and Iran with new democracies that work.  Democrats no longer use talking points of losing in Iraq and Iran, but declare them distractiosn for the war we should be fighting in Afghanistan.  American people come to senses and realize "don't fall into the trap, democrats are full of crap".  Vote GOP back to power in House & Senate...

If those circumstances would play out, I would have encouraged the Navy to fire...  unfortuneatly it would have been more like this:

Headline:  US naval forces open fire and destroy Iranian naval ships in internation waters.  Iranaian air force attacks US Naval ships in retaliation.  Small scale combat takes place.  Many US sailors dies, US backs down and talks peace with whack-job Iranians to prevent further war in Mideast.  Iran looks like winners, US has egg on face.  Democrats rejoice because of US defeat.

I think that all that would have happened' in that scenario is that the whole world would have got a look at how good the AEGIS and goalkeeper/phalanx systems' are.

Offline Brownshirt

• Zinc Member
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »
Well Aegis system already proved its potential when they shot down that Iranian passenger plane and killed all the passengers and the crew.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2008, 03:40:22 PM »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$