Author Topic: Unperk the Spitfire Mk XIV  (Read 7563 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Unperk the Spitfire Mk XIV
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2008, 01:08:42 AM »
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as defensive.  I wasn't feeling defensive, just clarifying that I hadn't abused the light elevator controls.

And you're right, FrodeMk3 may very well have spiked the G forces.  I can't really think of a way to test spikey behavior very well though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2008, 01:19:34 AM »
Is the blackout rendered in films? I know I can't see anything in mine, even though I hit nearly 9Gs a few times, and there's nothing at the point the wings go their separate ways.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: February 16, 2008, 02:39:10 AM »
Originally posted by Widewing
At 575 mph, you cannot get enough elevator displacement in the 190s/152 to load the airframe enough to break the wings.

I've snapped the wings in a 152 at far less than 575 mph, but never in a 190.

Originally posted by Widewing
As to the F6F-5, I suppose that HTC modeled it based upon the design limits. Both the F6F and F4F demonstrated the ability to withstand g loads of up to 12g and in one well documented case, 13g. These loads were measured during max performance pullouts. In several cases, the engine A frames bent slightly, but the airframe itself sustained no damage. Grumman "over-engineered" their aircraft, being willing to trade a bit of performance for shear strength. That was the crux of their design philosophy; "build them simple, build them strong" - Leroy Grumman.

Again, I can snap the wings off an F6F at will at far less than 12G's, even with no ord (well... half of one or both).

I'd be willing to give demonstrations :)

Conversly, I've only ever snapped a wing on a Spit once when I was pulling out of a high speed dive well past the planes limits (the wings should have snapped before I ever tried to pull out).  In Spits it seems, you'll usually black out well before you reach the stage where a wing will snap.

Not arguing, just pointing out my experiences.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #108 on: February 16, 2008, 03:30:39 AM »
Originally posted by BaldEagl
I've snapped the wings in a 152 at far less than 575 mph, but never in a 190.

Again, I can snap the wings off an F6F at will at far less than 12G's, even with no ord (well... half of one or both).

I'd be willing to give demonstrations :)

Conversly, I've only ever snapped a wing on a Spit once when I was pulling out of a high speed dive well past the planes limits (the wings should have snapped before I ever tried to pull out).  In Spits it seems, you'll usually black out well before you reach the stage where a wing will snap.

Not arguing, just pointing out my experiences.

Try snapping the 152's wings again without fuel in them.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: February 17, 2008, 01:31:39 AM »
I'd like to see a corrected FM for the Ta152, but I don't know if the sources exist for it.  I tried to find such data on the Mosquito FB.Mk VI and it is a mess for that much more common aircraft produced by a nation that was not in chaos.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline dhyran

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~
« Reply #110 on: February 17, 2008, 04:42:20 PM »
agreed pls unperk the 14

dhyran  - retired  CO  ~<<~Loose Deuce~>>~        www.loose-deuce.net/

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #111 on: February 17, 2008, 07:58:28 PM »
Karnak this is a Spitfire topic, please don't hijack :p
[/rib]
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline stroker71

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2008, 12:32:51 AM »
I was playing around with a Spit14 last night.  Went to about 16k and leveled out...thing will move up there.  SO I desided to go higher and when I hit 20k it was like someone turned the engine off.  It had no power and would not climb past 20k...like there was a glass ceiling.  I always thought the 14 was made for that alt.
Back to DuHasst
Here since tour 84
Quote by Uptown "It's one thing to play the game...quite another to live there."

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2008, 01:39:13 AM »
Originally posted by Karnak

I'd rate the Spitfire Mk XIV as follows:

WEP Speed Low: Good
WEP Speed High: Excellent
MIL Speed Low: Average
MIL Speed High: Average
WEP Climb: Excelent
MIL Climb: Average
Firepower: Good
Handling Slow: Fair
Handling Fast: Poor
Visibility: Good
Fuel Endurance: Poor
Durability: Extremely Poor

MIL Speed Low: Good
MIL Speed High: Good
WEP Climb: Excellent
MIL Climb: Good
Handling Slow: Fair (any experience makes this manageable)
Handling Fast: Average

Just can't sit by and see the 14 unfairly judged. It is one of the best planes in the game. I'd go ahead and say it's second best to the F4U-4. The spit 16 is close behind.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2008, 03:32:34 AM »
Originally posted by stroker71
I was playing around with a Spit14 last night.  Went to about 16k and leveled out...thing will move up there.  SO I desided to go higher and when I hit 20k it was like someone turned the engine off.  It had no power and would not climb past 20k...like there was a glass ceiling.  I always thought the 14 was made for that alt.

It has a dead zone between 20k and 23k.  You can really feel the blower kick into the next gear when you pass 23k.  Still, even in the dead zone it should climb at about 2,000ft/min on autoclimb.  Something in your settings must be off.

Originally posted by trotter
ust can't sit by and see the 14 unfairly judged. It is one of the best planes in the game. I'd go ahead and say it's second best to the F4U-4. The spit 16 is close behind.

It cannot roll against the torque when going fast.  I'd say that is pretty poor myself.

As to how good it is, well, the only numbers we have to work with, unless we want to use Krusty's voodoo system, are total kills and deaths and the ratio thereof.  And doing that, even discounting the inherently higher kill/death ratios perk planes normally have, it isn't as good as many free planes.  If we factor in the superior kill/death ratio effect of a perk plane then it drops to levels far below the average free plane.

The fact is that it is a tricky aircraft to use and paying points to try to learn it well is disuasive.  In addition people go out of their way to kill, or try to kill, perk planes, even cheap ones.  Yes, a skilled player in one is nigh untouchable, but the same is true of a skilled player in a Bf109K-4, La-7, Typhoon Mk Ib, Fw190D-9 and P-51D or B.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:38:14 AM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2008, 05:10:24 AM »
Originally posted by trotter
MIL Speed Low: Good
MIL Speed High: Good
WEP Climb: Excellent
MIL Climb: Good
Handling Slow: Fair (any experience makes this manageable)
Handling Fast: Average

Just can't sit by and see the 14 unfairly judged. It is one of the best planes in the game. I'd go ahead and say it's second best to the F4U-4. The spit 16 is close behind.

Not in the Altitude environs' we usually fight at in AH, Trotter. Fly one down low, and watch all the Spit IX's, VIII's, and XVI's eat it alive. That's where most of our fights' are. Otherwise, people fly it like a Dora with Roundels on the wings.

Offline EvlPrsn

• Copper Member
Re: Unperk the Spitfire Mk XIV
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
just un perk it and see what happens, give it one, maybe two tours, and even then, keep evaluating its usage and success levels constantly.  I know i would learn it if it cost maybe 5 perks, but i cant afford it at 15 perks.  I'm not an amazing stick, and i die far more often than not, but i certainly would liek to give the plane a try.
If i said anything to offend u, plz ignore it.

also, if i say anything stupid or rude, it was probobly too late at night and i was half asleep, so ignore that too.

oh yeah, its all just my opinion, so if ya dont care, just keep it to urself, cuz if u dont care, i sure wont!

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2008, 12:51:24 AM »
2 tours is only 2 months; we've lived with the unperked Spit XVI for what, since it's inception?

Try unperking it, see what will happen. Hell, leave it's ENY value, just in case. I'd like to see it's usage when unfettered by the perk. After a Dora ran away from me on the deck yesterday (and ripping the wings' off) I'm not too convinced of it's perk value, anyway.

BTW Widewing, I'm running my X-52 with the slider settings' out-of-the-box. Haven't messed with them.

Offline Cajunn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2008, 04:57:04 AM »
I fly the spit 14 and My thoughts on it....Please un-perk it. That plane flown in the BnZ role is awesome and in a stall fight if flown with throttle and RPM controlled, and its climb rate, and not to mention its acceleration, its hard to beat...and I'd put it up against the 8 and 16 any day (in the right hands) of course. It doesn't turn Like the 9, but its close. And I think if they were to  un-perk that plane you would see its full potential... :salute
“The important thing [in tactics] is to suppress the enemy's useful actions but allow his useless actions. However, doing this alone is defensive.”

Miyamoto Musashi (1584-1645)
Japanese Samurai & Philosopher

Offline wrongwayric

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2008, 10:32:43 AM »
I actually had a long e-mail debate with Soda on why the 14 should be unperked and the 16 should be perked. We came to the conclusion that we agreed to disagree. :salute The problem as i see it is the 14 rocks once you get it up high, and i mean high! I noticed the same fall off of performance between 16k and around 20k but it still was better than almost all of the planes at that alt. Get it to 25/26 k it flat out rocks. The Spit 16 though is a great plane from ground level up to about 16k then it kind of takes a dump compared to the 14. Based on the current level of most flights and fights the spit14 finds little use due to it's more of a high alt plane were as the spit16 is low to mid alt fighter. I'd say unperk the 14 and perk the 16 and see what happens.
AKsleepy