Author Topic: Unperk the Spitfire Mk XIV  (Read 7514 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: -
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2008, 03:06:43 PM »

I don't know any sure and certain method of beating a plane that badly out-everythings the one I'm flying, in a fair fight against someone who knows what they are doing. I don't find this shaming to say because no one does.

Sounds more like operator error than the plane.

All this "LA7 is an easy kill" bravado comes from 1. LA7s attempting to turnfight planes that turn better, everything is an easy kill when doing that, or, 2. Encounters with noobs that don't even know how to merge or that the throttle can be moved backwards. But the day has long since passed when the LA7 was flown by the clueless only.

No, it's called experience.  Every plane has weaknesses that can be exploited for your gain, it's just a matter of learning what those weaknesses are and learning how to exploit them.  In time, I'm sure you will develop those skills.

I've always felt like the C-Hog needs to be perked alot less than the LA7 does, although it should remain so to keep .50 Corsairs from falling into disuse. It is just an ordinary F4U with some big guns in the wings after all, and getting in front of a Hog's 6 .50s can send you back to the tower almost as quickly. Not to mention that the LA7's 3 centerline mounted cannons are pretty deadly themselves.

You weren't around when the C-Hog wasn't perked, if you were then you would truly know what it means when a plane unbalances the game.  As I stated in my previous posts when you wanted an example, the C-Hog is a perfect one.  The La-7 is no where near the levels the C-Hog was when it was unrestricted.  Just because a lot like to fly them, it's no reason to perk it.

I will state my stance again: I want the thing perked because it more or less mauls the other non-perked LW speedsters at typical MA alts, and because its performance is only slightly inferior to the two most heavily perked prop planes in the game, and because doing so wouldn't really deprive enthusiasts of Russian planes, anymore than perking the C-Hog and 4-Hog deprives Corsair fans.

Which just proves what I stated previously, you want it perked because you either die by them a lot or you can't run from them.  Either way, you still have yet to present any valid evidence why it should be perked.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 03:41:29 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Re: Unperk the Spitfire Mk XIV
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2008, 06:33:43 AM »
I'd love to go 1v1 co-alt in the DA/TA with you Ack-Ack.  Perhaps you could show me how to kill an La-7 in a P-38. 

Later today good for you?

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2008, 08:50:56 AM »
Okay, I was going to leave this thread alone, but I got to make a suggestion in regards to Urchin's idea: P-38 is fairly strong against the LA7. I don't know that it actually out-turns an LA7, but it comes close enough. Rarely fly a P-38 in MA, but have made the LA7s take to their heels when I have. Last time I tried this matchup in the DA with a squaddie, killed the LA7 easily.

I'd suggest matching a 190 of some sort or a Pony against the LA7 below 8K instead, since according to some these planes have usuable advantages against the LA7 at these alts that I'm too callow to see.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2008, 09:11:59 AM »
Oh, I already know the La-7 completely outmatches the P-51 and any 190.  It is also better than any 109, but the margin of superiority is less.  However, the La-7 is also double superior to the P-38 (it turns better and is faster), so I really would be interested to see why Ack-Ack feels as though the La-7 has some weakness that can be exploited by the P-38.

Offline EvlPrsn

• Copper Member
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2008, 11:43:05 AM »
off topic again, no need to perk LA7, just unperk the spit14!!!    :aok
If i said anything to offend u, plz ignore it.

also, if i say anything stupid or rude, it was probobly too late at night and i was half asleep, so ignore that too.

oh yeah, its all just my opinion, so if ya dont care, just keep it to urself, cuz if u dont care, i sure wont!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2008, 01:55:28 PM »

Later today good for you?

Weekend is probably better, out of town for the day and not sure if I'm going to make it back tonight or get stuck and have to take the red eye back to LA in the early morning.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2008, 02:44:02 PM »
Ok, I'll try to keep an eye out for you.  Thanks. 

Offline spit16nooby

• Copper Member
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2008, 10:08:55 PM »
yes after hours of reading through the jungles of this post im finally at the end it was quite an adventure to get here now my opinion unperk the Spit 14
on the off topic la-7 even though i still havent killed one to date which is my ultimate goal in this game it doesn't need a perk and in my opinion use the 109-g2 against it

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #143 on: March 22, 2008, 10:11:11 AM »
Two things I discovered...

1. AHII website gives the same normal loaded weight (8500 lbs) to the Spit16 and Spit14. The 16 has a 32' wingspan, the 14 has 36' feet. Yet the 16 can turn much better than the 14? How and why?

2. On the deck, the 14 is notably faster than the 16. So still, its not like the 14 ever has to fight the better-turning Spits if it doesn't have the advantage.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2008, 10:54:36 AM »
Two things I discovered...

1. AHII website gives the same normal loaded weight (8500 lbs) to the Spit16 and Spit14. The 16 has a 32' wingspan, the 14 has 36' feet. Yet the 16 can turn much better than the 14? How and why?

2. On the deck, the 14 is notably faster than the 16. So still, its not like the 14 ever has to fight the better-turning Spits if it doesn't have the advantage.
The XIV has monster torque.
See Rule #4

Offline Xasthur

• Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2008, 11:28:10 AM »
Unperk it, I'd like to see more of them in my 152... It would make for an interesting high-altitude fight.

I don't see the Spit 14 as being any more dangerous than the 152... Just give it a 5 ENY value and set it free, it doesn't need a perk.

Raw Prawns
Australia

"Beaufighter Operator Support Services"

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »
Unperk it, I'd like to see more of them in my 152... It would make for an interesting high-altitude fight.

I don't see the Spit 14 as being any more dangerous than the 152... Just give it a 5 ENY value and set it free, it doesn't need a perk.

Tell me this is a joke please....

Just what does the 152 do that is exceptional, except achieve 470mph somewhere in the stratosphere?

What fighter turns worse than the 152, outside of the 190s?

Whereas the Spit14 is has fair-to-good low level speed, excellent high level speed, monster climb and still has fair-to-good turning. Totally incomparable with the 152. Stick to comparing the SpitXIV with the LA7, KI-84, Spit16, etc, that at least makes some sense.

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2008, 06:57:15 PM »
Indeed, the Spit 14 is such an outstanding airplane, that almost no one intentionally flies it.
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline FrodeMk3

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »
Everyone that posted in this thread needs' to go out and fly one. Go into a furball with all the other LW planes' mixed in. No, it's not gonna dominate the fight; It will actually be at pains' to cope with some of the other aircraft in here.

Offline BnZ

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
For what it is worth...
I fought some duels with a Spit14 against a Spit16 with a squaddie who is about my level. Alternated with 16v16 duels for a control group. My impressions...

Duelling a 16 with a 14 is tougher than 16v16, that is for sure, you can't just get a good angle initially and keep on turning until the inevitable kill shot. But it is not guaranteed victory for the 16 guy either. 14 is not nessecarily dead meat in a scissoring fight with a 16. Although their listed climb rates at low level appear nearly identical, I think the 14 may zoom climb better. The fact that the 14's engine rotates the other way may confuse people, I dunno. The 14 should avoid duelling the 16 in its supercharger dead band, that too is for sure. So a Spit16 does tend to have an advantage in a co-alt, co-e turning duel. HOWEVER...a Spit16 beats a Tempest even worse in that situation,  so this argument is abit weak for un-perking.

Spit14 can still do what Jugs, Typhs, Ponies, 109s, LA7s, Yaks, 190s and Tempests typically do fighting Spits-engage with a workable E advantage, disengage with speed when it is lost. And the Spit14 climbs and turns alot better than most of those planes listed, and it will be able to run them down AND out turn either outright or with a slight dive alot easier than any other Spit.

My verdict? The main problem with the Spit14 is that people think it needs to be like the other Spits, instead of its own beast. I think a good 109K pilot would be hell-on-wings in the Spit14. Reduce the perk price to around 5 points, same as what the LA7 needs.