Author Topic: Corsair stalls  (Read 2447 times)

Offline Airscrew

• Platinum Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 02:52:01 PM »
great video,  and people want more realistic planes.... watch the startup procedures... some wouldnt be able to take off...

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »
Actually Krusty, I've experienced the instant-inversion stall during rolling scissors in-game when I've given her too much rudder at the top of the maneuver.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
Originally posted by Saxman
I disagree thrila. The flaps are certainly uber and greatly improve low-speed turning ability, but NOT stability. She's still twitchy and will snap out from under you with little to no warning. I still lose her from time to time, just usually am able to recover before it becomes fatal.

I think it's more a matter of SD67's skill, as I in no way would call the F4Us forgiving for inexperienced players.

Ok, I like the F4U very much, but it is entirely too stable at low speeds. More so than the F6F, which set the standard for carrier fighter stability around the boat.  You can fly it down to 60 mph, nose high and cob the power with not a hint of instability. Historically, it's wrong, period. I've discussed this with a gentleman who flew the F4U-4 and F4U-5. When I described the low-speed handling behavior he wrote back and said, "if I had attempted what you described, I wouldn't be here to discuss it with you."

In a discussion with a local FG-1D owner, he described low speed, high power handling as "like a fat girl on a surfboard."

As far as I can remember, the F4U was always good with flaps out. After the drag model update it went from just good to absolutely ridiculous. Ditto for the 109s to lesser degree.

Planes that suffered from the drag model update include the Ki-61 and P-51 to name the most obvious.

Now clearly, the FM is a constantly evolving creature. Thus, we can expect changes and tweaks as the game move forward.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2008, 06:30:38 PM »
Originally posted by Baumer
I do understand making the game enjoyable for everyone and certain compromises have to be made. If we have easy stalls to keep more people in the game and flying then that's fine by me. we just need to accept that it's not always going to match real life...

The problem is that most folks rarely mention the difference in a power-on vs. power off stall.  I remember my first stall training in a Cessna 172.  Power off stalls were a non-event, whereas I almost put the plane into a spin during my first power-on stall, and that's in a plane with a 150 HP engine, because I wasn't paying attention to the ball.  

The Corsairs reputation was earned during high Alpha, high power, low speed maneuvers around the landing pattern.  This is dangerous territory for any aircraft, especially if the pilot is ham-fisted.  The Hellcat was arguably a "lowest common denominator" type of plane.  Its performance suffered as a result, but the Navy determined it would rather have the modest performance and easier "around the flight deck" handling.  The Corsair on the other hand, had much better performance, and suffered in the landing pattern as a result.  The Corsair was not a "lowest common denominator" plane.  Flown well, it was just as safe.  So, you can argue that its reputation was a result of inexperienced pilots rather than poor design/performance.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
Originally posted by Noir
tip in spit to defeat corsairs...start to turnfight until you are under 150mph then go into pure verticals (watch your wings :P). The F4U weight will make the difference.

I've read some BS website yesterday which was claiming the F4U4 is the best fighter/bomber of the war.

http://home.att.net/~historyzone/F4U-4.html

I don't know where that guy found the F4U had a great 6 view...

The article states: "The Corsair provided for very good visibility from the cockpit." That was the end of the discussion. So, how did you extrapolate that to "a great 6 view"?

Second, name a better WWII fighter-bomber than the F4U-4.... Make my evening.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2008, 06:33:26 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
Second, name a better WWII fighter-bomber than the F4U-4.... Make my evening.

Noir...Any idea who wrote that article???

This should be interesting...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2008, 06:52:59 PM »
Originally posted by Stoney
Noir...Any idea who wrote that article???

This should be interesting...

;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline hubsonfire

• Plutonium Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2008, 07:52:01 PM »
:rofl
mook
++Blue Knights++

Proper punctuation and capitalization go a long way towards people paying attention to your posts.  -Stoney
I was wondering why I get ignored so often.  -Hitech

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2008, 07:57:25 PM »
There was a warbird pilot who owned an F4U and flew AH...I was talking to him and he'd just sold his F4U. I asked him why and he said he was scared every time he flew it. He called it totally unforgiving of any error on takeoff or landing....

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2008, 08:09:10 PM »
I am a Spitfire and Mosquito fan.  To a lesser extent a A6M and Ki-84 buff.

I cannot think of a better fighter-bomber than the F4U-4 in WWII.

In fact, if I were told that I had to fight a war using WWII units and I could only pick one tank, fighter, bomber, ect, I'd pick the F4U as my side's fighter.  Sorry Spit and Mossie.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 09:24:59 PM »
Originally posted by JimBeam
"The airflow recode SERIOUSLY made the corsairs uber. Way beyond their capabilities should. The flaps on these planes are now seriously unrealistic, and the gentle as a baby's bottom stall hasn't made me spin out or dip a wing since the recode."

even with the rudder authority if you push the f4u to its limits it'll dip a wing then progress to a spin in a heart beat...but it is very easy to recover from that spin with alittle alt.

I'm not sure about the whole flap thing either but take a look at the MANY flaps threads and there are actual mathematical equations to it all. Until I finish physics, I'm not going comprehend it, though.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 11:07:40 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
In a discussion with a local FG-1D owner, he described low speed, high power handling as "like a fat girl on a surfboard."

THAT is signature material if there has ever been signature material. I laughed for 1/2 an hour. A "hog on ice" indeed.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Gooss

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.327th.com
Corsair stalls
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 12:51:59 AM »
Crap.  I thought I was just getting better in the Corsair.  I didn't realize it had training wheels.

Nonetheless, chicks still dig gullwings.

HONK!
Gooss
CHICKS DIG GULLWINGS
flying and dying since Tour 19

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 01:14:52 AM »
Originally posted by JimBeam
Way beyond their capabilities should. The flaps on these planes are now seriously unrealistic...

Source please?

HiTech

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Corsair stalls
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 01:17:24 AM »
Quite an uppity tone, stoney. I could walk up to you for saying "it's a sunny day" and yell "SOURCE?!?!" in a confrontational manner, and would be received in better light than you are now.

Grow up a bit.

EDIT: I say this because you parrot that question as if it's a learned behavioral response and not an actual inquiry. Your mind is already made up and you shut out any other ideas. It's not a question to you, so why phrase it as one?