Author Topic: Death - is this what divides?  (Read 2261 times)

Offline SD67

• Gold Member
Re: Death - is this what divides?
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 07:34:12 AM »
I always try to land my sorties.
I'm not very successful :lol
9GIAP VVS RKKA
You're under arrest for violation of the Government knows best act!
Fabricati diem, punc
Absinthe makes the Tart grow fonder

Offline LYNX

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 07:34:44 AM »
My virtual politics are much in line with Murdr "win / lose" theory.  I die = I lost.  I don't like it but it happens and to frequently for my liking  :frown:  That being said I also align with what mechanics "no guts no glory" attitude.... otherwise whats the point of going up in a "fighter mode" sortie.  Whats the point of going porking in attack mode if not prepared to fight your way out and so on. 

So what do you think about death and its roll in the game?  Should death count less against score?  More?  Should there be no score at all?  And if stats still cause people to try too hard not to die, then should stats go too?

Death already counts for very little in game except bomber mode score.  It can work to the advantage of the skilled fighter mode player though.  The score system is geared to survival on the whole without overly rewarding it.

I have a real problem equating this "score" over death thing.  You see it daily in the MA and I'm sure peoples perception are totally wrong.  I'll explain.  You get the runner or timid fighter and most would automatically presume it's a score issue with these guys.....WRONG!  It's peoples personalities and very little to do with score.  There are risk takers and there's none risk takers.  Those that don't care if they lose and those that do.  There are players who want to learn and those that gave up. Those that look for challenges and those that have peaked.  You see these traits in everyday folk in your real life.

Your average runner or timid fighter is just inexperienced....simple as that.  No major score hoar theory going on in his head.  Just wants the kill (win) without losing.  Now you could argue he'll not learn anything from running but you ain't going to get past " I don't want to lose".  Id love HTC to invite a "shrink" college to study the virtual pilots mentality.  To have us evaluated. Yer... we're GEEKS but what kind :)

If your good at something which usually comes with experience, you find yourself pushing for harder things to do.  If your inexperienced you'll being more concerned with survival than challenges.

In short "score" has little to do with MA antics.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 07:38:31 AM by LYNX »

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 08:32:50 AM »

There was a time when an opinion like mine was the solid majority, but maybe it's the AW crowd here, I don't really know... 

lol   thanks for the laugh.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline bongaroo

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 09:05:04 AM »
There was a time when an opinion like mine was the solid majority, but maybe it's the AW crowd here, I don't really know...  I remember reading threads at argo's where people proposed sending someone who died back to a rear-airfield as a penalty, or making them wait one full minute before they could replane.  No kidding. :O

The majority of players were all about not dieing?  Must have been a boring game back in the day.  :D
Callsign: Bongaroo
Formerly: 420ace

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 09:37:47 AM »
There was a time when an opinion like mine was the solid majority

In all the years I have been in AH, I have never seen this to be the case.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 09:42:59 AM »
The majority of players were all about not dieing?  Must have been a boring game back in the day.  :D

I'm not talking about AH either. ;) Edit: noseart, this applies to your comment.

Pulling up our current scores, you are averaging 3.61 kills per hour.  I am averaging 15.28 kills per hour.

Sometimes it takes me 15-20 minutes to reach high altitude bombers and set up for a guns pass. :aok

----------------------
Interesting responses.  Many have simply skipped the death topic and moved on talk about what they want to talk about.  One thing that makes me go  :huh is the great confidence behind generalizations as to why pilots fly in a way we don't like, especially for which there is no data or empirical evidence to speak of.

For example, when the P-51 pilot runs away, we can say
Your average runner or timid fighter is just inexperienced....simple as that.
  How do we know?  I'm really trying to wrap my head around this one.  We don't have any data or evidence to speak of.

Let's go back to talking about death.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Oleg

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »
Some of us think that death is bad, it should be avoided at all costs (just like real pilots)

This statement is absolutely wrong.
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude. Don't complain."
Maya Angelou

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »
The best description of my view of dieing in the MA comes from the movie the 13th Warrior.  One of the vikings told his buddies "This is a good day to die."  I do not want to be sent down in flames, but I will not fear it.  With that said, I will always approach a fight with the intention of killing the enemy however I can and then flying/driving home.  The emphasis is placed on killing the enemy first, and if I am nailed in the process, so be it.

Oink
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »

Quote from: Anaxogoras on Today at 01:00:10 AM
Some of us think that death is bad, it should be avoided at all costs (just like real pilots)

When living is the primary goal, why fly at all and risk dieing? Would it not be better to sit in the tower, and achieve perfection of never dieing?

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 12:10:58 PM »
But I can still emhpasize "living", I just have to accept that some rides may give me a lower probability to succeed in this. In my case it's not that I always say: "I want to survive" and then I pick a plane accordingly. While that does happen (especially when I'm committed to a certain battle), I also often pick a ride first and then set it a a goal not only to engage the enemy, but also to bring it home.
Back when I was flying Hurri I or 109F as a main ride, my goal was "getting home" as much as when my primary ride was the Tempest. I just didn't succeed as much ;)
Lusche, I've been around you and you do a lot of cherry picking, or generally no fighting, just staying high above everything else and picking helpless targets.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
It goes along w/ tryin not to get into a HO.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 12:13:11 PM »
When living is the primary goal, why fly at all and risk dieing? Would it not be better to sit in the tower, and achieve perfection of never dieing?

isn't that what the 51 and 190 are for?  :D

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 12:14:19 PM »
This statement is absolutely wrong.

Explain?  Not giving a reason for your opinion is unhelpful.  Moreover, if at least one person thinks it, any statement that says "some of us think..." is true by definition.  Maybe you're objecting to the claim that real pilots try to avoid death?

HT, you know the answer to your own question.  Everything is more meaningful with risk.  We try to live, but that is not to say that we ought not to take some chances, especially when there are enemies to be shot down! :D
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:17:49 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 12:15:09 PM »

But is a score of 0 really perfection? :noid
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 12:18:36 PM »
Lusche, I've been around you and you do a lot of cherry picking, or generally no fighting, just staying high above everything else and picking helpless targets.

:rofl

How often have you been "around me"?

BTW I pretty good remember you hypocrisy a few weeks ago. We were part of the same furball, but when you spotted me you started to rant on and on on local vox. When I shot an enemy off someones tail, you cried out "weak pick" - 1 minute later I heard you "Wait, il clear your six" and saw you doing just the same. Repeatedly.

You where wining on BBS about those guys sinking CV's, yet I saw you doing the same.  You complain about weak pickers in their late war rides, yet a few hours ago you whined about losing your 262 when attacking helpless bombers...

But I don't take offense in that. If there is one player whose judgement & opinion I can't take seriously in any way, it's you and your online "personality" :)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 12:21:56 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman