Author Topic: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are  (Read 7382 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Re: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are
« Reply #105 on: June 09, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »
And if you want to practice a particular atack like bounce or a defflection shot you dont get many goes at an Ace. When you practice anything new you learn most by practicing and playing with people at a similar level because you enjoy what you are doing.
BS again, and BS to everything you hinge on this faulty premise.  I upped and got shot, and kept upping and kept trying over and over again because the only really useful training is training in live conditions, regardless of the opponent skill.  Maybe you learn what a plane can do offline, maybe once online you limit your focus to one thing - SA, gunnery, ACM, etc - but you certainly gain nothing from avoiding live conditions.
Not only do you miss the practical sharpening of your own skills, but by avoiding the fight with anyone better than you, you lose the opportunity to capture what the better guy did on film, to watch it as many times from as many different angles as you wish.. That's solid gold to the new guy.  You'd have the new guy pass up on this opportunity?

As for being a narrow minded ***er, bite me.  I saw opportunity, and grabbed it.. Just like in real life, everyone plays by the same rules and gets what they deserve. No more, no less.  What did you do?  What do you want the new guys to do?  Beg someone to hold their hand and resignate themselves to some crappy methods and misleading BS about the "aces"' intentions, like Waldron suggests?  What two-bit soap opera did that come out of?

Train like you fight, fight like you train.  You shed no blood in pixel combat, so take advantage of it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 10:45:43 AM by moot »
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #106 on: June 09, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »
I dont think I am missing the point I think there are lots of good reasons why newer or less able pilots would want to avoid meeting  more experienced and able pilots other than with the advantage. When they are losing the advantage it is sound advice to get out of there and in practice if anyone reads real accounts pilots in WW2 did secure the advantage and if they new who the aces were they would have ignored them.

Now I know someone is going to state the obvious and say its only a game etc BUT:

We all know its not fun if everyone flies like a kamakaze. If one does not have any desire to avoid being killed then the game quickly loses all meaning and no one enjoys or learns much form being repeatedly shot down.

Some of the better pilots on here have skill levels vastly exceeded by their ego's and forget that they secure the advantage in fights all the time by aiming to conserve E and gain altitude over an opponent but when someone comes up with a strategy to get more kills, get killed less and increase their score (which is also a part of the game) we get this stampede of would be experts.

DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: June 09, 2008, 10:57:51 AM »
I dont think I am missing the point I think there are lots of good reasons why newer or less able pilots would want to avoid meeting  more experienced and able pilots other than with the advantage. When they are losing the advantage it is sound advice to get out of there and in practice if anyone reads real accounts pilots in WW2 did secure the advantage and if they new who the aces were they would have ignored them.

Because, y'know, this is World War II and we all have only one virtual life to live.

We all know its not fun if everyone flies like a kamakaze. If one does not have any desire to avoid being killed then the game quickly loses all meaning and no one enjoys or learns much form being repeatedly shot down.
Fighting someone and dieing over and over again is not 'kamikaze like'... it's practice. 'Kamikaze' is taking a loaded 38 or 47 and dive bombing and crashing into a CV. This is another example of avoiding the fight; no one else can have fun because 1; the CV is now down and 2; they never got a chance to fight the P47/P38.

Some of the better pilots on here have skill levels vastly exceeded by their ego's and forget that they secure the advantage in fights all the time by aiming to conserve E and gain altitude over an opponent but when someone comes up with a strategy to get more kills, get killed less and increase their score (which is also a part of the game) we get this stampede of would be experts.
There are other ways to do this other than '1 pass and haul ass'.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:01:28 AM by Motherland »

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: June 09, 2008, 10:58:36 AM »
BS again, and BS to everything you hinge on this faulty premise.  I upped and got shot, and kept upping and kept trying over and over again because the only really useful training is training in live conditions, regardless of the opponent skill.  Maybe you learn what a plane can do offline, maybe once online you limit your focus to one thing - SA, gunnery, ACM, etc - but you certainly gain nothing from avoiding live conditions.
Not only do you miss the practical sharpening of your own skills, but by avoiding the fight with anyone better than you, you lose the opportunity to capture what the better guy did on film, to watch it as many times from as many different angles as you wish.. That's solid gold to the new guy.  You'd have the new guy pass up on this opportunity?

As for being a narrow minded ***er, bite me.  I saw opportunity, and grabbed it.. Just like in real life, everyone plays by the same rules and gets what they deserve. No more, no less.  What did you do?  What do you want the new guys to do?  Beg someone to hold their hand and resignate themselves to some crappy methods and misleading BS about the "aces"' intentions, like Waldron suggests?  What two-bit soap opera did that come out of?

Train like you fight, fight like you train.  You shed no blood in pixel combat, so take advantage of it.

I didnt say anything about of line. All in the main arena, develpoping you skills while not getting killed all the time. Being around long enough to make mistakes and get away with them which you dont get a chance to do when up against an ace. Narrow minded because people enjoy the game in different ways and not everyone is into a fantasy macho trial by fire ego trip. Most people want a decent fight as soon as possible and they wont get this from an Ace which is what the original post was about.

Any more and I am banging my head on a brick wall. Those who are going to get it will have done by now.    
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #109 on: June 09, 2008, 11:01:32 AM »
Fighting the fight regardless of the odds, isn't flying Kamakazi.  It's recognizing that no one is really dying, this isn't world war 2, and the challenge is the fight.  Win or lose.

Flying safe for fear you might get pixilated is silly.  It speaks far more to the desire to see the name in lights and get their 'attaboys'.

Last night Del and I were out in the 38s for a bit.  Del was flying my wing, and as he has always done, he followed me into the mob.  After getting a couple kills, I died my usual horrific death, but had a blast trying to get them all to miss.  Del came out of it dinged up but rtb.   He landed 8 kills.  Everyone was a product of his shooting ability, and timing within the mass of planes.  Those 8 kills were earned.

Too often you see guys landing and the crowd goes wild and you know they've hung over a crowd and had someone else doing the work where they've either picked or they've vulched.  It's their dime and if that's what they think is fun, more power to em, but many of us see that as no challenge at all.

Because this is a game, and because no one dies, we have the chance to test our cartoon fighters in ways that a wartime combat pilot couldn't or wouldn't because in that case it was one life and you are out.

So why not test your limits and your cartoon fighting ability because you can with no real risk?
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: June 09, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
Because this is a game, and because no one dies, we have the chance to test our cartoon fighters in ways that a wartime combat pilot couldn't or wouldn't because in that case it was one life and you are out.

So why not test your limits and your cartoon fighting ability because you can with no real risk?

The reality of the situation is this game is great because you are trying to kill real people who dont want to be killed. I am not particularly interested in testing Cartoon fighters and I susspect neither are you. If your young or of a certain dissposition (usually) you will get impatient and fly around in the middle of a furball putting yourself to chance where skill will still make a difference, Dont be upset though that more patient temperaments will prey on you. You may have more skill but they have another skill (often) self control. They will use that against you everywhere. If your objective is just to have fun fine its all fun but dont start on with this earned kills stuff or next it will be dweeb this and Boo Hoo he hoed me and I was about to lane ex million kills.

We all like it our way but if we got it it wouldnt be fun, the kids and those who refuse to grow up dont understand that. Mr Waldron is speaking from the point of view of someone who is not an ace and wants to learn and make the most of what he has and he isnt putting anyone down or telling them what to do.   
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: June 09, 2008, 11:16:14 AM »
Appologioes posted twice
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 11:18:41 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: June 09, 2008, 11:21:49 AM »
The reality of the situation is this game is great because you are trying to kill real people who dont want to be killed. I am not particularly interested in testing Cartoon fighters and I susspect neither are you. If your young or of a certain dissposition (usually) you will get impatient and fly around in the middle of a furball putting yourself to chance where skill will still make a difference, Dont be upset though that more patient temperaments will prey on you. You may have more skill but they have another skill (often) self control. They will use that against you everywhere. If your objective is just to have fun fine its all fun but dont start on with this earned kills stuff or next it will be dweeb this and Boo Hoo he hoed me and I was about to land ex million kills. You all know who you are rolleyes

We all like it our way but if we got it it wouldnt be fun, the kids and those who refuse to grow up dont understand that. Mr Waldron is speaking from the point of view of someone who is not an ace and wants to learn and make the most of what he has and he isnt putting anyone down or telling them what to do.   

So now having the desire and skill to mix it up is childish and stupid?

Mr Waldron is speaking from the point of view of someone who is not an ace and wants to learn
If there is anything he has made clear on the forums it's that he does not want to take the time to learn.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #113 on: June 09, 2008, 11:34:03 AM »
So now having the desire and skill to mix it up is childish and stupid?
If there is anything he has made clear on the forums it's that he does not want to take the time to learn.

No if you look closely I said people will take advantage of mixing it up by picking on those where there attention is elsewhere for example in the middle of a furball. Now if you are in the middle of a furball doing your heroic best :lol complaining about it is childish because it shows a lack of maturity when interpreting the game.

Again its not that someone does not want to take the time to learn it is that they approach the game in a different more historical way which they enjoy more. I doubt there were any really brave Aces in WW2 as they all got killed early. To some extent its possible to summise these things by the way the game is played.

Anyway this approach seems to be decried by those who do not have that kind of patience or interest or maybe have more of themselves invested in this than is perhaps healthy.

Do you think you will get it eventually?

DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:52 AM »
No if you look closely I said people will take advantage of mixing it up by picking on those where there attention is elsewhere for example in the middle of a furball. Now if you are in the middle of a furball doing your heroic best :lol complaining about it is childish because it shows a lack of maturity when interpreting the game.
There wasn't even a 'vague implication' that furballers are childish and impatient. Perhaps you should pay more attention to what you type.
If your young or of a certain dissposition (usually) you will get impatient and fly around in the middle of a furball putting yourself to chance where skill will still make a difference,

Anyway this approach seems to be decried by those who do not have that kind of patience or interest or maybe have more of themselves invested in this than is perhaps healthy.
I can BnZ all I want. I've done it before over hordes of enemies and come out unscathed with 5-6 kills. There's no challenge in it. That's why I normally don't do it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: June 09, 2008, 11:54:14 AM »
...if anyone reads real accounts pilots in WW2 did secure the advantage and if they new who the aces were they would have ignored them.

Actually, Boyington never had his victories displayed on a plane while he was flying it because otherwise he'd have every Japanese pilot in the sky gunning for him.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: June 09, 2008, 11:58:44 AM »
Actually, Boyington never had his victories displayed on a plane while he was flying it because otherwise he'd have every Japanese pilot in the sky gunning for him.
Russian pilots DID avoid Hartmann when he had the black tulip pattern on his 109 though. To the extent that he had to take it off to consistently get more kills.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: June 09, 2008, 12:08:38 PM »
There wasn't even a 'vague implication' that furballers are childish and impatient. Perhaps you should pay more attention to what you type.

I can BnZ all I want. I've done it before over hordes of enemies and come out unscathed with 5-6 kills. There's no challenge in it. That's why I normally don't do it.

Are you a bit sensitive when it comes to criticism. It seems when the horde are deriding a non horde opinion anything goes, but when it comes to any suggestion of doing anything unlike a teenage boy this is sacralegiously offensive and seen as cheating.

Anyway as ive said this is not just a game for kids and big kids endlessly saying their way is the only way and crying when someone shoots them down in not exactly the way they wanted.

I hope someone has an epipheny soon :pray

DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: June 09, 2008, 12:13:07 PM »
Are you a bit sensitive when it comes to criticism. It seems when the horde are deriding a non horde opinion anything goes, but when it comes to any suggestion of doing anything unlike a teenage boy this is sacralegiously offensive and seen as cheating.
I'm not 'sensitive'. The suggestion that playing this game for the fight and not caring whether you 'die' or not is childish is stupid.

BTW, you and Waldren, the two who support the whole 'fly like your life depends on it' thing, have the worst K/D's out of anyone else who posted in this thread.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:15:12 PM by Motherland »

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: June 09, 2008, 12:14:47 PM »

No I am saying quite clearly that people of an impatient disposition will take more chances and there is an obvious element of chance in a furball and youth normally is associated with impatience. So those who are more patient will use a safer method as that is irrespective of skill acknowledged if you know what you are talking about the way to get allot of kills without and here is the bit you dont seem to get. Without getting killed. If kills are your objective which is what the originsl post alluded to.

Now we get the I can do this and that stuff if I want to which has nothing to do with it as it is not personal.

Why do I feel like I suddenly have a teenage son?   :cry :cry :pray :cry
DFC/GFC/OAP