Author Topic: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are  (Read 7384 times)

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
Re: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are
« Reply #120 on: June 09, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
It's not impatience. There's simply no satisfaction involved with picking someone once you've done it hundreds of times. I get much more satisfaction fighting someone with a lot of skill, and winning or losing, than when I land 8, 9, 10 easy kills.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: June 09, 2008, 12:21:26 PM »
Some valid points are being made on both sides of the argument.  

I can see a beginners point of view of not wanting to get shot down immediately, and I honestly believe that in the vast majority of cases beginners (and many "intermediate" players) won't have any idea of what happened, or why, or what they could have / should have done differently.  Getting slaughtered won't make them any better.  And winning won't either, for the exact same reasons.  And film IS worthless for anything beyond entertainment unless you know how to interpret what you're seeing, and can visualize other possible options and results.

My kids would love the idea of learning from students with equal skill level, but as a parent I can't agree.  I think tossing a 5th grade algebra book into a classroom of 5th graders with the instructions "figure it out with your peers of equal knowledge" would be a mistake.  I'm sure they'd all feel pretty equal though, and come out confident that they had it down, hehe.  They need the influence of someone who actually knows what they're talking about, and who is willing to share the knowledge in a manner that makes sense and keeps pace with the students growing abilities.

AH is the same way- you won't learn very quickly without willing teachers.

You can only learn so much from fighting others of your skill level.  However, those fights will SEEM like great fights, and you'll come out feeling like you've accomplished a great feat if you win, or like you held your own if you lose.  It's false security though.  The fact that you're both making similar mistakes is what's allowing the fight to continue so long.  The reason a beginner vs vet fight is so quick is due to both the vets lack of mistakes, and his ability to see / capitolize on the beginners.  Even when the vet makes a mistake the beginner is likely to not even see it, let alone be able to do anything about it (is he even looking in the right direction???).

And also realize that if my opponent only requires me to use 5% of my skill to defeat him, that's all I use.  He'll never see the otther 95% unless he makes me show it to him.  If I can simply pull behind him and shoot him, I don't do 4 loops and 3 barrel rolls first!  Throttle control?  Flaps?  Why bother?

Stephen's point of running away from the fight when things go sour is like a student answering questions he knows, but avoiding those he doesn't.  "2+2? Sure, I know that!  4!"  but "2+2(6*7)? Hmm, gotta run!"  Unfortunately, he's partially right.  If he stays when things go sour fighting someone more experienced, he's very likely to be shot down, regardless of plane types involved or who has advantage.  And since he skips out when things get tough, he won't be able to figure out why, simply from the point of lacking experience.

His method INSURES he won't ever possess the skills he fears.

The fact is, achieving success in AH requires a lot of effort.  And not just in the game.  Are any of the "successful" pilots going to argue that they make no effort to figure things out, outside the game?  Research through reading, watching films, etc?  Working WITH others, in a teacher / student type relationship?  Working with someone who is WILLING and ABLE to teach you is different than simply being shot down by them in the MA...  And learning very basic tactics, like BnZ = high speed pass and run if you're not immediately successful.  You'll never learn the finer points of BnZ if that's all you do, and you won't be all that successful as a result.

The important point of this discussion seems to me to be one that routinely comes up amongst the trainers.  How do we spread the most knowledge in the most efficient manner?  Working 1 on 1 on the TA is great- for one at a time.  It doesn't do much for the masses though.  Ideas have been discussed and are beginning to be implemented to work with more people at a time.  Hopefully that works, but it has potential issues too.  Regular availability of busy volunteers (trainers) is one, another is less intensive 1v1 training for individuals.  Personally I think it's going to be a great way to spread a lot of basic knowledge in a short period, and still leaves room for 1 on 1 training outside of that program.  BTW, someone mentioned that a thread (this one?) lead to that idea.  Nope, it was already in discussion, and was not related to this thread at all.  Just a coincidence...

Sure, there are ways for an interested and motivated individual to find information and help to be more successful in this game.  Anyone have any better ideas?  Or maybe just some more good ones?  I know there are many willing to help, but how can it be done more efficiently?  The less-skilled players want to be better, and the more-skilled players want better competition- how do we do that?

MtnMan
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2008, 12:23:16 PM »
I'm not 'sensitive'. The suggestion that playing this game for the fight and not caring whether you 'die' or not is childish is stupid.

BTW, you and Waldren, the two who support the whole 'fly like your life depends on it' thing, have the worst K/D's out of anyone else who posted in this thread.

Because we are learing at a different level of skill and experience I expect and our experience is we probably would nt enjoy an even lower kill death ratio. i.e. no fun.

Isnt that obvious. We are the less able new people trying to communicate a way to enjoy yourself more while learning the skills others already have. I understand why he avoids aces and fights where he has no advantage. He can get kills without being killed all the time.

Your hard work you are  :uhoh  

I know you would just like to fall back on Iam a better pilot than you so Iam fright about everything. You know more ACM I am sure but this is no loger a peeing contest    
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2008, 12:24:26 PM »
Because we are learing at a different level of skill and experience I expect and our experience is we probably would nt enjoy an even lower kill death ratio. i.e. no fun.

Isnt that obvious. We are the less able new people trying to communicate a way to enjoy yourself more while learning the skills others already have. I understand why he avoids aces and fights where he has no advantage. He can get kills without being killed all the time.

Your hard work you are  :uhoh 

I know you would just like to fall back on Iam a better pilot than you so Iam fright about everything. You know more ACM I am sure but this is no loger a peeing contest     

You're statements would make sense if you hadn't been playing the game longer than I.
Despite the fact you have at least 5 (I got into the game in May of '07) months on me, your timid flying (I assume) and my willingness to mix it up caused myself to progress much further in a shorter amount of time than you. And unless you're willing to mix it up and not worry about your K/D you will never get better.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:27:53 PM by Motherland »

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2008, 12:25:20 PM »
It's not impatience. There's simply no satisfaction involved with picking someone once you've done it hundreds of times. I get much more satisfaction fighting someone with a lot of skill, and winning or losing, than when I land 8, 9, 10 easy kills.

And thats why you are to be avoided.  ;)

You are only fun for me when I have the advantage other wise game over.
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2008, 12:27:30 PM »
In response to MtnMan the way I do what little I do to help a new player I encounter is with the 'pay it forward' approach.  I had literally dozens of people help, offer to help, direct me to links, etc, when I first started playing.   If someone approaches me for help, so long as they're not being annoying about it, I tell them what I know vs what I think and if I truly don't know the answer I direct them to people I know are both willing to help a new guy and are more experienced than I am. 

JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: June 09, 2008, 12:35:47 PM »
There's also a difference between what Waldron is advocating and FIGHTING. I hate getting shot down. I do everything I possibly can within the capabilities of my ride to get home with enough pieces to land again. But in doing so I will take on any red plane that crosses my path. If I'm at an advantage I won't neutralize to give him a fair fight. If I'm at a disadvantage I'll work to neutralize HIS. Neutral state I'm still in. I don't give up an altitude advantage against half a dozen opponents just to give THEM the fun of hordeing a lone con, but instead use my position to create a fight more to my liking or wait for better circumstances to engage. I clear friendly sixes and set up friendlies so THEY can get a kill. If I'm in a position to out-turn an opponent I will. If I need to BnZ him to death I'll do THAT, too. I'm regularly right there in the middle of the furballs, and when I was flying more regularly I still maintained a K/D flirting in double-digits.

The problem is this is NOT what Waldron is talking about. He's saying the only way to fight is to sit on a perch and not fight anyone you don't have a massive advantage in speed and altitude, so if you miss your one pass you can run home and not have to be afraid of the mean old red plane at co-alt you can't bounce and may actually have to use ACM against.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: June 09, 2008, 12:36:18 PM »
mtnman

The bit the trainers miss in my opinion is its not just monkey see monkey do. You have to practice and become familiar. You build in Biological terms the regular neural pathways by repetition in different situations. The best way to learn is to add a new skill at intervals to your existing set and for this you need to practice. your algebra example is not relevant allot of ah is not intelectual it is physical skill. Best way to learn is to learn while enjoying yourself in the game then when you have practiced the new skills in combat in prolonged fights go back and learn more or you plateau. You got the bit about the level difference meaning neither learns any thing. For that I thank you and I think you explained it very well but the algebra bit is erroneous. You can write down an example in algebra and extrapolate in AH allot of it is learning to use the pencil.

Allot of people think because they know something they can teach it. First you need to know how you learned it and then you have to understand not everyone learns the same way.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:40:24 PM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: June 09, 2008, 12:39:44 PM »
yes, he is right.  Instead of learning how to use barrel roll defense, overshoots, rolling and flat scissors, managing flaps/throttle, you should fly as they did in ww2.  throttle 100%, point nose down, shoot, fly back up and run home.  

Honestly, I think people who use the word "fly realistic" many times do no justice to "real" pilots or their abilities.  I see it used alot, and many times it is used an excuse for score padding and lack of knowledge of how to fight in general.  Not always, but often.

The people who fly for the fight, want to put up cartoon skills against others.  If you want to do this, and be any good at it, you have to practice. It doesn't happen over night, maybe months and years to perfect.  It is much more fun than diving in a con, where the outcome is determined if he sees you or not.  If he does see you, go back up, and wait until he is fighting someone else. If after 1 pass, and you think he might be good, you run.  If he shoots you down, then you don't go back.  Keep doing this, tell them you are flying as the did in ww2, and you should be expected to be looked upon as a good pilot.  Also this advice will make you a better pilot.   :rolleyes:
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
By the way, the most successful ace in western Europe, Hans-Joachim Marseille, (154 kills) was what we would describe as a 'furballer'. He died bailing out of his Bf.109G-1 due to a (non combat related) engine fire. Gerhard Barkhorn (301 kills) was described by Hartmann as a furballer as well. He survived the war.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »
yes, he is right.  Instead of learning how to use barrel roll defense, overshoots, rolling and flat scissors, managing flaps/throttle, you should fly as they did in ww2.  throttle 100%, point nose down, shoot, fly back up and run home.  

Honestly, I think people who use the word "fly realistic" many times do no justice to "real" pilots or their abilities.  I see it used alot, and many times it is used an excuse for score padding and lack of knowledge of how to fight in general.  Not always, but often.

The people who fly for the fight, want to put up cartoon skills against others.  If you want to do this, and be any good at it, you have to practice. It doesn't happen over night, maybe months and years to perfect.  It is much more fun than diving in a con, where the outcome is determined if he sees you or not.  If he does see you, go back up, and wait until he is fighting someone else. If after 1 pass, and you think he might be good, you run.  If he shoots you down, then you don't go back.  Keep doing this, tell them you are flying as the did in ww2, and you should be expected to be looked upon as a good pilot.  Also this advice will make you a better pilot.   :rolleyes:

I think everyone who takes the trouble to learn the basics once they have mastered them will want to learn more as otheriwse it becomes boring and meaningless. Also other than perhaps at the very start no one went into battle without combat skills. I detect a certain insecurity in so many players that seem to feel they are not able to use their skills as they are being picked off by inferiors using obvious though effective tactics. My view is maybe your just not as good as you think you are and you should stop complaining or find something else to do.  

BTW What is all this rushing to be a great cartoon mix it up hero. Judgeing by the people on here its just the road to bitter endless know it all criticism and self congratulation.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 12:53:28 PM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2008, 12:49:31 PM »
You're statements would make sense if you hadn't been playing the game longer than I.
Despite the fact you have at least 5 (I got into the game in May of '07) months on me, your timid flying (I assume) and my willingness to mix it up caused myself to progress much further in a shorter amount of time than you. And unless you're willing to mix it up and not worry about your K/D you will never get better.

There are clearly allot more variables involved ;)

Do all your arguments degenerate into "I AM BETTER THAN YOU" ?
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2008, 12:57:54 PM »
There are clearly allot more variables involved ;)

Do all your arguments degenerate into "I AM BETTER THAN YOU" ?
No. Your argument was that I'm better than you so you have an excuse. I never said that until you did.

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2008, 01:00:50 PM »

The problem is this is NOT what Waldron is talking about. He's saying the only way to fight is to sit on a perch and not fight anyone you don't have a massive advantage in speed and altitude, so if you miss your one pass you can run home and not have to be afraid of the mean old red plane at co-alt you can't bounce and may actually have to use ACM against.

You forgot to put speech marks round that quote of Waldrons.

Its not what Waldron is saying so much as what you find frustrating. I think he struck a nerve with allot of people. I think part or acm is sensing when it is not going your way and sure you cant do that in one bounce you have to mix it more than that but if you know they guy is 10 times as good as you you need to get out early if your going to have a chance of getting home.

I am sure when you come up against someone who you know you can beat and they wont let you its frustrating. My answer to that is GOOOD :rock :lol
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2008, 01:01:06 PM »
Yarbles, so let me get this straight.  You are proposing the same as Stephen Waldren then?  Only engage from a position of advantage and don't stick around for a fight if it doesn't work?

In the extreme end of this scenario, players will begin to climb higher and higher in the arenas.  No one will learn fighting skills, and the one with the fastest plane on the highest perch will be the ultimate winner.  Correct?

It just seems to me this would become a pretty boring game for everyone involved but I guess if that's your idea of fun then have at it.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.