Author Topic: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are  (Read 7385 times)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
Re: Learn Who The Enemy Aces Are
« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2008, 10:00:53 AM »
If i were you, at this point in the game, i would pick 1 plane, turn stall limiter off,  turn on your flight recorder, and fly it to every furball. Fly there between 2k-6k  with 50% fuel and no drop tank, and engage anyone and everyone. Base defense is another way.  Your going to die ALOT, but your SA, gunnery, acm, and communication skills will double. Just get in there and fight till you die, or there are no enemies left to kill.

That's the way I did it when I started 12 years ago.  Went and jumped into the middle of every furball I could find.  You learn a lot really quickly doing that.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline pluck

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2008, 11:15:46 PM »
wow, thats just about the worst advice I've ever seen given...

This game is difficult, there ARE many resources to get better, most of the time it's as simple as asking.  There is only 1 way to get better, and that is to fight people who are better than you, otherwise you learn nothing, and most likely degrade what skills you have, because you don't need to test them at all.  Just leads to sloppy flying.  Sure, you can take the path of a picker/vulcher, inflate scores in hopes that others might think you are the greatest cartoon airplane pilot to ever live.  Then again, most you have been around a bit, will just think of you as a picker/vulcher.  Some enjoy flying for rank, it is fun for them.  Personally I find it quite boring, but that is just me.  Don't ever think that because you/someone else has a "good" rank that you are automatically an ace.  I think most you have been around awhile judge that by their encounters with you.  b'n'z isn't gonna get you there.

For those who really want to get better, you need to put some effort in, and even then it will take time.  You will still die lots, so don't get frustrated. There are many guys who would share information with you and spend time helping you learn, just make sure they actually now a thing or 2. (not like the orginal poster, troll or not).  Above all, skill isn't the only thing, sitting back and just enjoying the game is not to be over looked.
-Vast
NOSEART
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2008, 10:16:04 AM »
not once have i ever asked someone for help and not recieved it.no matter what country me or them fly for.there's several that probably dont like me much at times but still willing to help me if i ask them.skyrock is a good example, probably most hated man in the game and we've had our words, but he'll bent over backwards to help someone out.he has called me a skilless noob one day and walk me though moves and oftered to help me set my joystick up better the next.it's a great game full of great people and help around every corner. :salute
Lighten up Francis

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2008, 01:25:27 PM »
This post has actually revived my faith in the community.  It brought out alot of guys disagreeing, and that's good.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Adonai

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2008, 01:48:47 PM »
not once have i ever asked someone for help and not recieved it.no matter what country me or them fly for.there's several that probably dont like me much at times but still willing to help me if i ask them.skyrock is a good example, probably most hated man in the game and we've had our words, but he'll bent over backwards to help someone out.he has called me a skilless noob one day and walk me though moves and oftered to help me set my joystick up better the next.it's a great game full of great people and help around every corner. :salute

im same way, I run my mouth on 200 - but you seen what i do in training arena its not trying to prove im better or anything but
help newer guys learn the game and enjoy it same as I do, honestly don't bother me even if a guy learns a few things on his
two week trial and quit, least he got a piece of the action and whether you like it or not thats up to you.

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2008, 05:38:22 PM »
Stephen Waldron is the 2nd greatest pilot in Aces High; I of course #1. 
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2008, 06:13:07 PM »
Stephen Waldron is the 2nd greatest pilot in Aces High; I of course #1. 

Bout time we had that straightened out...:)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline 442w30

• Nickel Member
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2008, 10:02:49 PM »
The question that intrigues me most is whether S. Waldron is the same person as Valerio. 

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time

"The plural of anecdote is no data."- statistician's axiom

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »

If I wanted 5.0 k/d i could have it. But that number means nothing to me.

Would you mind proving that  ;)

DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"
"He who can laugh at himself has mastered himself"

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2008, 07:40:55 AM »
well, let's make it very very simple for the newbies.

1)read whatever you can find on the trianers help page
2)go to the TA, and seek help
3)go into any of the MA's, and fight anything that has a red icon
4)thisone is the most important. HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<>
>

Allot of newbies dont think its fun to continually get shot down in seconds and when you read the real life accounts of ww2 pilots there approach has certain similarities to that proposed.

The problem with allot of the contributors on here is they have OBVIOUSLY forgotten what it is like to be at the other end of the food chain. What they seem to do is mimick the worst kind of behaviour in the MA i.e. all gang up on someone who is percieved to be weak and different,

Shame on all you flamers you should know better :mad:
DFC/GFC/OAP

"Don't get into arguments with idiots, they drag you down to their level and then win from experience"

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2008, 08:09:46 AM »
BS.  When I started, I kept upping and kept looking for hints to what was going on, since, after all, everyone was playing the same game.. If they (who were beating me) could do it, so could I.  Making mistakes is understandable, not trying is not excusable.

The only difference was that back then, H2H still existed, and it had rooms no bigger than 1 sector where you could rejoin the fight in a matter of 10 seconds.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2008, 08:27:18 AM »
And if you want to practice a particular atack like bounce or a defflection shot you dont get many goes at an Ace. When you practice anything new you learn most by practicing and playing with people at a similar level because you enjoy what you are doing.

Most of the comments here seem to come from people who know allot about flying but little else about motivated learning.

I have a low score in a fighter but have been around long enough to access the opposition initially I was very discouraged by people who quite frankly made me look useless. When I can give them a wide berth as in couple of bounces and away it makes for more fun and I can see how the react without having to re up.

And for all those of little brain who say you can ask for help you still have to learn in a schematic sense basic skills like flying looking over your shoulder or looking sideways using controls without looking just like driving a car or riding a bicycle and these are not well learned in very short battles. 

Stephen Waldron Clearly has a good point and as for the detractors again you may know how to fly a plane in Aces high but you clearly know very little else :rolleyes:

Just be thankfull someone articulate has come along and been able to point out what a bunch of conceited narrow minded something ending in ****ers you can be.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:32:16 AM by Yarbles »
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2008, 09:14:12 AM »
Ok, this is how I approach flying. Don't know if it's right but.....first I pick a plane and stay in it, learn it. my case I like the ponyD.I try to fly it like my real life depends on it.Through reading, flying with people who know mustangs, and watching flims I know what it can and can't do.From being shot down thousands of times I've learned how to approach certain planes, not all but most and that just takes seat time.Instead of just diving into a fight I look at situation first.What's above and below me. Who sees me,who does'nt, who's faster or slower then me, and who is the most skilled in the area,for he has to be engaged first.Also having friendlys around that communicate is key too.Check 6, make him turn, keep him straight...that sort of thing. I try to communicate, fly smarter, and know my cartoon plane better then the enemy. It don't always work but it sure helps.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:15:57 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Yarbles

• Platinum Member
« Reply #103 on: June 09, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »
.I try to fly it like my real life depends on it.

This is where you are going wrong. You should chArge at the nearest Ace irrespective of altitude, relative E, plane type, odds etc get shot down straight away and then you will learn.
DFC/GFC/OAP

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: June 09, 2008, 10:12:38 AM »
Yables,

You're misinterpreting what's being said, here.

Flight basics should be learned in the Training Arena. If a new player can't get his gear up, get off the runway or read his instruments he shouldn't be trying to piece this all together in the Mains.

However while the Training Arena works for teaching THEORY, there's a BIG difference between fighting with blanks and a live-fire situation. This is why my squadron rarely uses the Training Arena for practice/training unless we specifically need its resources (LCOS, etc) and use the Duelling Arena instead, because while you can count pings in the TA, there's no feedback that tells you whether this was a hard hit in convergence that knocked your wing off, or if you put just enough twitch into your flight path to scatter the shots. Quite frankly, I've learned FAR more on how to fight in my preferred ride by getting shot at "for real" in the Mains than I ever did practicing with more experienced pilots in the Training Arena.

Now maybe one option is to have a "Two Weekers" arena. If you're in the two week trial period, you have access only to the TA, DA, and Two Weekers arena. Players with paid memberships are barred entry from this arena. This would establish the "level" playing field. However even then there's just the reality that all players are NOT created equal. Some guys come in their first day and, perhaps because of previous sim experience or just because they're hardcore gamers can jump right in and start blowing guys away. Others can play for weeks or months or years and just not get it, but still have fun in trying.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.